DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: I had my Buttercup moment ... Fail

Old 09-25-15, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"The night was filled with magical conversation...."

My love life is non-existent, and even I can tell that message is corny as hell like something you would hear on a daytime soap.
Old 09-25-15, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 391 Posts

Yeah, that's a little much. I would keep the details that you think might make her smile, though.
Old 09-25-15, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Why would she be searching for a Craigslist ad when she already ignored your request on LinkedIn?
Old 09-25-15, 04:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
Why would she be searching for a Craigslist ad when she already ignored your request on LinkedIn?
She might be looking for a one night stand in the "casual encounters" section but mis-click on the "missed connections" link instead. The "dipping your fries in ice cream" title sounds like it belongs in "casual encounters" too, so she wouldn't realize the mistake until after she clicks it. The whole dipping your fries thing could even be a pick up line she uses on every guy.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 09-25-15 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-25-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 649 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Working from home today, so I put HIMYM on in the background ... guess what episode came on? (Sorry, I believe in csomic signs.) To quote Marshall: "Last night I ate the best cake of my life. Now you think I'm going to let that cake out of my life? Hell no. I'm going to find out what bakery made that cake, and damnit, I'm gonna' get some more cake."

I've given this a few days' rest in my mind, but it is still there. So ... if I were to post a "Missed Connection" on Craigslist ... how does this sound?

It happened in Chicago: Ever dip your French fries in ice cream?

It was almost the perfect night until I made the mistake of letting you walk away. I was in Chicago for a conference and you were there for a charity concert. Your hotel's bellman put you in a taxi and sent you to the pub where I happened to be. I was just about to turn in for the night, but I had a craving for ice cream ... that was the beginning of an unexpected and amazing experience.

We spent the evening lost in one another as the rain washed away the world outside of that hotel pub. The night was filled with magical conversation and entertaining ourselves with the exploits of The Booth King, ManHands the Red Head, and the Third Wheel Party. However we were not the only watchers that night. Little did we know we were also being watched. The next day I was told that we were more than good together; our watcher's spouse commented she was envious of our "relationship" and how perfect we were together.

I know it wasn't intended to be this ... that I should let that night be a memory to never be tarnished by the complicated futures of two imperfect people, two ships passing in the night. However, you left an impression on me. We only exchanged first names as an afterthought when we parted, yet we gave so much more of ourselves that night.

Tell me something about that night Tell me if it is lingering with you while you are in class; tell me there is a chance we could get to know eachother. Or tell me it was just another night to you, that I should hold on to that moment as just another memory.

Old 09-25-15, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
She might be looking for a one night stand in the "casual encounters" section but mis-click on the "missed connections" link instead. The "dipping your fries in ice cream" title sounds like it belongs in "casual encounters" too, so she wouldn't realize the mistake until after she clicks it. The whole dipping your fries thing could even be a pick up line she uses on every guy.
That could be true. However, instead of all of that creepy stuff in the message just ask her if she wants to go back to Chicago and fuck.
Old 09-25-15, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd probably get better advice from some of your female friends instead of from some anonymous male virgins on a public forum. JMO
Old 09-25-15, 05:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
You'd probably get better advice from some of your female friends instead of from some anonymous male virgins on a public forum. JMO
Assuming he has female friends and isn't some 40 year old virgin talking about an obsolete movie format like the rest us.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 09-25-15 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-25-15, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's another possible signal I missed -- at one point she went to the ladies' room and left her phone on the bar and her purse in her seat. Would you do that unless it was a sign of trust/interest?
i wouldn't leave my cell phone/purse on a table of people i knew let alone a stranger. someone could swipe it when they weren't looking, any number of bad things. i am now thinking you were featured on some kind of john stossel "what would you do" hidden camera show and they were hoping you would peek in her phone or purse and then confront you.

It happened in Chicago: Ever dip your French fries in ice cream?

It was almost the perfect night until I made the mistake of letting you walk away. I was in Chicago for a conference and you were there for a charity concert. Your hotel's bellman put you in a taxi and sent you to the pub where I happened to be. I was just about to turn in for the night, but I had a craving for ice cream ... that was the beginning of an unexpected and amazing experience.

We spent the evening lost in one another as the rain washed away the world outside of that hotel pub. The night was filled with magical conversation and entertaining ourselves with the exploits of The Booth King, ManHands the Red Head, and the Third Wheel Party. However we were not the only watchers that night. Little did we know we were also being watched. The next day I was told that we were more than good together; our watcher's spouse commented she was envious of our "relationship" and how perfect we were together.

I know it wasn't intended to be this ... that I should let that night be a memory to never be tarnished by the complicated futures of two imperfect people, two ships passing in the night. However, you left an impression on me. We only exchanged first names as an afterthought when we parted, yet we gave so much more of ourselves that night.

Tell me something about that night Tell me if it is lingering with you while you are in class; tell me there is a chance we could get to know eachother. Or tell me it was just another night to you, that I should hold on to that moment as just another memory.
while the romantic part of me kinda sorta thought this was okay, realistically she probably read it as "it puts the fries in the ice cream or it gets the hose again"
Old 09-25-15, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts

OP needs to stop watching Lifetime movies.
Old 09-27-15, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't get why you would post that after she has already ignored you on a different site. Even if you had a decent reason, I wouldn't post that nonsense.
Old 09-27-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like there's a lot of cheese on those fries. It seems a little much.
Why not just make it sound normal? Talk of the watcher and being watched sounds creepy too.
Old 09-27-15, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 612 Likes on 443 Posts

I say post it. Maybe some of the oddball responses will be better than what Buttercup might give.
Old 09-27-15, 03:16 PM

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Hire a private detective, if you're wanting to find her that badly.

Or, if she's as cool as you say that she is, she's bound to read the Austin Chronicle. Drop a few ads in the personals there.
Old 09-27-15, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Yeah, I'm a sappy romantic at heart and you are talking about two English majors.

Alright, I'm tempted to just let it go and live with the memory ... Although rbrown may be on to something with the local paper.

Creepy? Now this is creepy ...

Last edited by Abob Teff; 09-27-15 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-27-15, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, this feels too toned down to me, but how's this?

We met in Chicago a few weeks ago. It was late at night at a hotel pub when you leaned over and asked me if I had "ever tried dipping French fries in ice cream." The rain was coming down in buckets outside, but we held our seats at the pub, people watching and entertaining one another until they kicked us out. The next day, a client commented that you and I made a good couple. Then it occurred to me -- I made a mistake in letting us walk away with little more than half an introduction.

You are a teacher who was there for a charity event, I work in public relations and was there for a conference. The Simpsons may live a thousand miles from Austin, but let's see what the rest of the story may be.
Old 09-27-15, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 649 Likes on 505 Posts

Old 09-28-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should insert the line: "Everyone from a DVD message board says this can't work, but I will not be denied."
Old 09-28-15, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts
Re: I had my ButterFAIL moment ...

It would be one thing if you had exchanged a pleasantry with a smile and you were trying to pursue her afterward but you spent an evening with her -- you had your chance and you blew it. Appreciate the memory, learn from your mistake, and move on.
Old 09-28-15, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I had my ButterFAIL moment ...

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
It would be one thing if you had exchanged a pleasantry with a smile and you were trying to pursue her afterward but you spent an evening with her -- you had your chance and you blew it. Appreciate the memory, learn from your mistake, and move to Austin.
Fixed!
Old 09-21-18, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm back in Chicago. First time I have been back to this conference since that night ...

Got back from a long walk back from dinner and flipped on the TV. How I Met Your Mother is on ... and it is the episodes where Buttercup (Victoria) comes back into Ted's life. I thought about going back down to the hotel bar ...

Had to come back to revisit this thread. Good times. I miss threads like this.
Old 09-21-18, 08:29 AM

Received 2,611 Likes on 1,792 Posts

Damn. I never came back to this thread and saw the potential CL post. Yikes. I hope you didn't.

The "what could have been" moments in life sting... And you definitely could've dipped your fries in her ice cream from the sound of it.

I'll be in Chicago in two weeks. Time to make some memories!!
Old 09-21-18, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 791 Likes on 518 Posts

Fooey.

I saw the thread bump, and I thought that you had decided to get together once a year in Chicago, Avanti-style.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 09-21-18 at 01:18 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.