I had my Buttercup moment ... Fail

Other Talk "Otterville"

I had my Buttercup moment ... Fail

Old 09-21-15, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 581 Likes on 411 Posts
re: I had my Buttercup moment ... Fail

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Right now she is asking her girlfriends "Whats wrong with me?" after some guy at the bar didn't hit on her.
I had that thought. One of the things we talked about was experience with online dating and she was a lamenting about her experiences. I was picturing her saying to her friends "Even a random guy in a bar was oblivious to me!"

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre View Post
at the least she has started a thread about it over at blu-ray, and is also bitching about another goddamn version of Army of Darkness coming out.
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
The threads have been combined to No Boomstick For Me . .
Well played you two, well played!

Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
If you want to see if your encounter could lead to something, maybe you could put a listing in the "Missed Connections" section on Craigslist. Or see if she put one there.
This thought had occurred to me also. Those things are like Dear Penthouse letters: they aren't real; are they?

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Kudos to you for not asking her upstairs for a screw, but you could have gotten more than her first name.
I'm terrible at introductions. No phobia, I'm just the kind of person who starts talking to somebody as if I've known him/her forever. I was oblivious through most of this as we felt like old friends. When it occurred to me, I didn't want to be some creep in a bar.

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
How could you not get her number? Seriously, you need to give yourself some credit and stop believing the whole "she's out of my league" crap. For starters, you must not be butt ugly for a smoking hot woman to start flirting with you. She obviously enjoyed your company and it sounded like she liked you. Getting her number wouldn't be too much in this case.
Thank you Brack! I have nothing to counter with; you're probably right.

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
I still stand by my advice to find her on social media. Ten years ago, maybe it would be creepy to find her on the internet. But it's 2015 and a majority of people around the world stay in touch through social media.
I was already trying to avoid becoming the creepy guy in the bar ... By my own admission, I am ignorant in the ways of social media. Would this really NOT be creepy? (I do have one potential lead on social media, but have resisted playing that card in case I am wrong.)

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
Well they were at a bar... One or both of them might have had beer goggles... We all know beer goggles can turn a 1 into a 10...
No goggles in my case. I'd had a few beers and a mixed drink throughout the evening, but not even enough to buzz me. Maybe she had them on, but she seemed pretty sober.

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
The OP's story sounds like something that would happen to me. All full of fail.
Seriously Vin? I was waiting for the title change, but did you have to change Buttercup? That was a critical piece!
Old 09-21-15, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 683 Likes on 527 Posts

Right now she is asking her girlfriends "Whats wrong with me?" after some guy at the bar didn't hit on her.
Not likely. If she's hot she has many options. I'm sure she's gotten laid by now.
Old 09-21-15, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you track down the woman and contact her, then it is fairly likely that she will consider this behavior "creepy." However, you really have nothing to lose.
Old 09-21-15, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Abob, I was always that guy who used the excuse of not wanting to come across as a creep too...then I finally realized I wasn't a creep, so if I came across that way to a girl it was her not "getting" me. No big loss. What's the worst that would've happened if this girl thought you asking for her number (or even to your room for a *drink*) was creepy? Almost guarantee the worst would be her laughing at you or running away ASAP. Essentially where you're at now anyways...
Old 09-21-15, 08:43 PM

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post

I was already trying to avoid becoming the creepy guy in the bar ... By my own admission, I am ignorant in the ways of social media. Would this really NOT be creepy? (I do have one potential lead on social media, but have resisted playing that card in case I am wrong.)

It would be creepy if you randomly friended girls on Facebook, without any former connection with them (just friend requesting just because they are hot). But if you have had a previous connection with this person (met at a party, a new classmate or coworker, one night at a bar...), it wouldn't be creepy. If you found the correct profile, this girl will recognize your friend request (assuming you use a recognizable profile pic). Don't even send a private message until after the friend request is accepted. As you said, she already brought up Facebook during your conversation with her, so it wouldn't be out of the question that you found her on Facebook.

If you don't get a response from the friend request, just forget about it. Not a big deal.

I'll be the first to admit I'm terrible at picking up women at bars, but hitting the friend request button on Facebook is easy!

Also, don't forget how the Buttercup episode ended.
Old 09-21-15, 09:13 PM
Admin

Received 351 Likes on 226 Posts
Re: I had my Buttercup moment ... Fail

Seriously Vin? I was waiting for the title change, but did you have to change Buttercup? That was a critical piece!
I failed at failing.

I have made a hopefully more acceptable snark title.
Old 09-21-15, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have not found her on Facebook. I'm assuming that means either some of my data is wrong or her profile is private ... ???

I found a potential lead on another site. Not sure if it is her though. The profile kind of fits and the picture looks similar but with a different hair color.

Mrs. Danger weighed in earlier, but I'd like a follow-up ruling from her and our other ruling women here in Otterville -- creepy to track her down or not? Here's another possible signal I missed -- at one point she went to the ladies' room and left her phone on the bar and her purse in her seat. Would you do that unless it was a sign of trust/interest?

Here's another wrinkle -- we're literally a thousand miles apart. (I'm just making excuses now, aren't I?)
Old 09-21-15, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've learned the hard way...the longer you wait to get in contact (getting her number in person upon first meeting being the best), the creepier you'll come across.
Old 09-21-15, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 683 Likes on 527 Posts

If you gotta ask if it's creepy to track her down then it's creepy.
Old 09-21-15, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

MLBFan -- she was engaged, broke it off, they lived happily ever after. Assuming you didn't watch the final season. Yeah, I don't remember who the mom turned out to be. I just remember the ending pissed me off after binging every season of an otherwise very enjoyable show.

OK, from the Wiki...

They met at the wedding of Ted's friends Stuart and Claudia (The Wedding), for which she had made the cake. Victoria kept her identity secret, calling herself Buttercup (the name of her bakery, and how Ted eventually found her again) and preferring to have one night of romance and fun with Ted, and then never seeing him again. However, Ted discovered her real name and tracked her down, and the two began dating. (Drumroll, Please). Everything was going well in their relationship and they had a lot of sex, until she was accepted into a cooking fellowship in Germany. Although they were both initially against the idea, they tried a long-distance relationship. (Cupcake) However, they broke up after Ted tried to sleep with Robin. (Nothing Good Happens After 2 A.M.)
I don't have a Robin in my life, so what's the problem?

Guys, Vin needs some snark-assistance.
Old 09-21-15, 09:59 PM

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

HIMYM is my favorite sitcom. You did inspire me to watch the Buttercup episode again this past weekend. Good stuff
Old 09-21-15, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 743 Likes on 523 Posts

I found a potential lead on another site. Not sure if it is her though. The profile kind of fits and the picture looks similar but with a different hair color.
Personally, I don't think it's creepy. Try dropping this woman a line, asking her if she is the woman who met _____ at _____ hotel bar. Tell her you found her really charming and regret not getting her number.
If you're truly interested, which seems the case, you'll only regret not doing anything. You have nothing to lose.
Old 09-21-15, 11:01 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Personally, I don't think it's creepy. Try dropping this woman a line, asking her if she is the woman who met _____ at _____ hotel bar. Tell her you found her really charming and regret not getting her number.
If you're truly interested, which seems the case, you'll only regret not doing anything. You have nothing to lose.
Very good advice, because you're right on the money.
Old 09-21-15, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brack View Post
very good advice, because you're right on the money.
x3
Old 09-22-15, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh shit ... I think I found her.

I couldn't send a message, just a connection invite. Really wishing I could have sent a message.

I guess we'll find out if it is creepy or not.
Old 09-22-15, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's only creepy if she sees you putting on the chloroform.
Old 09-22-15, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Or taking off your pants, right?
Old 09-22-15, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

I congratulate you on your buttercup moment

It will never happen to me as a woman would have to be both blind and mentally ill to start talking to me at a bar.
Old 09-22-15, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldn't send a message, just a connection invite. Really wishing I could have sent a message.

I vote for creepy. If you wanted to connect with her, you would have asked on the spot. Coming around after the fact is similar to those Missed Connections threads on Craigslist.
Old 09-22-15, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 147 Posts

Go for it. Worst she can do is ignore or tell you to piss off. Then you have your answer.
Old 09-22-15, 09:46 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 790 Likes on 571 Posts

Like, on Facebook? Or LinkedIn?

Personally, I think it's a little creepy, but if she's been thinking about you (at all), then hey, she probably won't mind.
Old 09-22-15, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Go for it. Worst she can do is ignore or tell you to piss off. Then you have your answer.
The worst that can happen is she tells her jealous boyfriend about this psycho who is stalking her, and he tracks you down and kills you.
Old 09-22-15, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
The worst that can happen is she tells her jealous boyfriend about this psycho who is stalking her, and he tracks you down and kills you.
Shhhh. Now he is never gonna ask a girl for her number.
Old 09-22-15, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,102 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Like, on Facebook? Or LinkedIn?

Personally, I think it's a little creepy, but if she's been thinking about you (at all), then hey, she probably won't mind.
If romantic "comedies" have taught me anything, it's that the only difference between being stalkerish or being insanely romantic is the level of attraction between the people involved.
Old 09-22-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Pee in her buttercup.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.