Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Should plastic straws be eliminated?
Yes
31.68%
No
53.47%
I like turtles
9.90%
How else will I snort the coke?
4.95%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Should plastic straws be eliminated?

Old 08-04-19, 06:51 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Should plastic straws be eliminated?

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Is aluminum really preferable to plastic in regards to recycling?
Yes if you factor in the recycling rate. Aluminum is expensive and a lot of aluminum cans are collected and recycled. Plastic bottles are basically worthless now that China has mostly stopped taking it.
Old 08-04-19, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I thought the reason the airport was doing this was to reduce waste, not just switch the type of waste from plastic to aluminum.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but I suspect the intent is to reduce plastic waste.
Old 08-05-19, 05:09 PM
Political Exile

I’d like to know how this reconciles with the rules already in place by the TSA.

Currently you can’t bring in an open liquid container larger than 4oz I think. So you could bring an empty bottle. But then you’d have to fill it after clearing TSA. That seems like a pretty strange way to live your life.

Plus, it says flavored water and soda are exempt. That’s pretty bullshit. You can buy a coke but not a water? That’s not healthy.

What are they gonna ban next? Handjobs in the men’s room?

I agree with you that that's not healthy.
Old 08-05-19, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

McDonald's admits 'eco-friendly' paper straws are not recyclable and insists it is working on solution

McDonald’s has admitted that its “eco-friendly” paper straws cannot be recycled, while previous plastic versions could be.

In September 2018, the fast food chain replaced its recyclable plastic straws with paper ones across all of its UK and Ireland restaurants in a bid to become more environmentally conscious.

However, McDonald’s has now confirmed that, while the materials which make up its paper straws are recyclable, their current thickness means they must be disposed of in general waste.

"While the materials are recyclable, their current thickness makes it difficult for them to be processed by our waste solution providers, who also help us recycle our paper cups," a McDonald’s spokesperson said on Monday.

"We are working with them to find a solution, and so the advice to put paper straws in general waste is therefore temporary.

"This waste from our restaurants does not go to landfill but is used to generate energy."

The announcement comes after an internal memo, which revealed the company's paper straws were thrown away by staff, was reportedly leaked by an insider.

"When McDonald's introduced paper straws it was getting pats on the back for being environmentally responsible," an insider reportedly told The Sun.

"But it seems like it was a stunt to appease green campaigners because the things go straight in the rubbish. It's ridiculously stupid."

Before the switch, McDonald’s had previously admitted to using 1.8m plastic straws in its UK restaurants every day.

The company said its plastic straws were “100 per cent recyclable” but that it changed to paper because “more can be done” to help the environment.

The paper straws have since come under fire from customers who claim they make it difficult to drink milkshakes.

While some complained that the paper straws had a "weird disgusting after taste", others argued that the replacement was "not fit for purpose" as the straws often "snap or disintegrate".

One customer tweeted: “With the paper straws they are fine for coke but the other day I had a milkshake and I struggled so so much that I ended up getting one of my own plastic straws at home.”

Sauce
Old 08-05-19, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I had an Uber thick overpriced.. but damn delicious... smoothie this morning and they had paper straws. It fell apart not long into my enjoyment so I just drank from the cup.

#firstworldproblems.
Old 08-05-19, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

McDonald's admits 'eco-friendly' paper straws are not recyclable and insists it is working on solution
McDumbies. Why can't corporations do things right...the FIRST time.

Also, what about this solution: edible straws. Make the straws out of food (probably a carbohydrate-based food but oh well), which will naturally decompose after a few hours but is very stiff and won't break that easily. Most of us only need the straw for 30mins, actually.
Old 08-05-19, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

^ Twizzlers
Old 08-06-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

How about we make the straws out of plastic and simply not dump them in the ocean.
Old 08-06-19, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That article is misleading. Not being recyclable doesn't equal harming the environment. You may not be able to recycle the paper straws but they'll decompose into the land.

And plastic straws maybe 100% recyclable out of the package but not once people use them, unless they're rinsed out first. Food particles are the only reason we don't recycle them all already.
Old 08-06-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How about we make the straws out of plastic and simply not dump them in the ocean.
Uh huh.
Thats what’s supposed to be happening now but isn’t.

Thats what this whole thing is about.
You say some things sometimes.
Old 08-06-19, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

The real issue isn’t recycling or what type of straw we should choose. The issue is that we can’t trust that our trash is going where we are told it’s going. Which is kind of pathetic.
Old 08-06-19, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
^ Twizzlers
I'd be down with that.
Old 08-06-19, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
That article is misleading. Not being recyclable doesn't equal harming the environment. You may not be able to recycle the paper straws but they'll decompose into the land.

And plastic straws maybe 100% recyclable out of the package but not once people use them, unless they're rinsed out first. Food particles are the only reason we don't recycle them all already.
Straws could be easily re-used. Think Cafeteria or buffets. High heat kills cooties. Even Ebola.

Also, what exactly are the ingredients of those straws that make them "not recyclable". And you trust McD? 100% beef burger comes to mind.
Old 08-06-19, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I want a straws made from the bones of my enemies so I can suck Coke Zero through their Marrow and take in their essence.
Old 08-06-19, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
That's what I thought the purpose of paper straws was. This is the first I've heard of recycling them.
Old 08-06-19, 07:07 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
I want a straws made from the bones of my enemies so I can suck Coke Zero through their Marrow and take in their essence.
I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Old 08-07-19, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Get all your shots and vaxes first. It's been a few thousand years since it's been done.
Old 08-07-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
That's what I thought the purpose of paper straws was. This is the first I've heard of recycling them.
Yeah, the article is pure click bait. Recycling isn't the issue, it's the permanent stain on the earth the plastic leaves behind. Even if they were 100% recyclable, do you really think everyone who gets a drink at McD's or Starbucks would put in the effort to find and use a recycling bin?
Old 08-07-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I'd say forget recycling entirely and just make containers and straws that the environment can absorb. That's why recycling, imo, has been a scam from the start. How many "enviro-friendly" cities actually have been at the forefront of getting companies in their city limits, to make products that the trash dumps can easily absorb and decompose akin to organic material.

My guess.

None.
Old 08-13-19, 09:49 AM
Political Exile

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...69749117309387

Evaluation of microplastic release caused by textile washing processes of synthetic fabrics

Highlights

• A successful procedure to evaluate microplastics release from fabrics was set up.
• The amount of microplastics depends on the fabrics, laundry products and washes.
• An increased amount of microfibres is released by woven polyester.
• Softener and bleach reduce fibre's damage and breaks.
• High temperature, washing time and mechanical action increase the microfibre release.

Abstract

A new and more alarming source of marine contamination has been recently identified in micro and nanosized plastic fragments. Microplastics are difficult to see with the naked eye and to biodegrade in marine environment, representing a problem since they can be ingested by plankton or other marine organisms, potentially entering the food web. An important source of microplastics appears to be through sewage contaminated by synthetic fibres from washing clothes. Since this phenomenon still lacks of a comprehensive analysis, the objective of this contribution was to investigate the role of washing processes of synthetic textiles on microplastic release. In particular, an analytical protocol was set up, based on the filtration of the washing water of synthetic fabrics and on the analysis of the filters by scanning electron microscopy. The quantification of the microfibre shedding from three different synthetic fabric types, woven polyester, knitted polyester, and woven polypropylene, during washing trials simulating domestic conditions, was achieved and statistically analysed. The highest release of microplastics was recorded for the wash of woven polyester and this phenomenon was correlated to the fabric characteristics. Moreover, the extent of microfibre release from woven polyester fabrics due to different detergents, washing parameters and industrial washes was evaluated. The number of microfibres released from a typical 5 kg wash load of polyester fabrics was estimated to be over 6,000,000 depending on the type of detergent used. The usage of a softener during washes reduces the number of microfibres released of more than 35%. The amount and size of the released microfibres confirm that they could not be totally retained by wastewater treatments plants, and potentially affect the aquatic environment.
Old 08-13-19, 07:32 PM
Political Exile

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-microplastics

It's raining plastic: microscopic fibers fall from the sky in Rocky Mountains

August 13, 2019

Discovery raises new questions about the amount of plastic waste permeating the air, water, and soil virtually everywhere on Earth

Plastic was the furthest thing from Gregory Wetherbee’s mind when he began analyzing rainwater samples collected from the Rocky Mountains. “I guess I expected to see mostly soil and mineral particles,” said the US Geological Survey researcher. Instead, he found multicolored microscopic plastic fibers.

The discovery, published in a recent study titled “It is raining plastic”, raises new questions about the amount of plastic waste permeating the air, water, and soil virtually everywhere on Earth.

“I think the most important result that we can share with the American public is that there’s more plastic out there than meets the eye,” said Wetherbee. “It’s in the rain, it’s in the snow. It’s a part of our environment now.”

Rainwater samples collected across Colorado and analyzed under a microscope contained a rainbow of plastic fibers, as well as beads and shards. The findings shocked Wetherbee, who had been collecting the samples in order to study nitrogen pollution.

“My results are purely accidental,” he said, though they are consistent with another recent study that found microplastics in the Pyrenees, suggesting plastic particles could travel with the wind for hundreds, if not thousands, of kilometers. Other studies have turned up microplastics in the deepest reaches of the ocean, in UK lakes and rivers and in US groundwater.

A major contributor is trash, said Sherri Mason, a microplastics researcher and sustainability coordinator at Penn State Behrend. More than 90% of plastic waste is not recycled, and as it slowly degrades it breaks into smaller and smaller pieces. “Plastic fibers also break off your clothes every time you wash them,” Mason said, and plastic particles are byproducts of a variety of industrial processes.

It’s impossible to trace the tiny pieces back to their sources, Mason said, but almost anything that’s made of plastic could be shedding particles into the atmosphere. “And then those particles get incorporated into water droplets when it rains,” she added, then wash into rivers, lakes, bays and oceans and filter into groundwater sources.

Though scientists have been studying plastic pollution in the ocean for more than a decade, they can only account for 1% of it. Researchers know even less about the amount of plastic in freshwater and in the air, said Stefan Krause at the University of Birmingham. “We haven’t really started quantifying it,” he said.

Another unknown is whether it would be theoretically possible to flush all plastic out of the natural world, and how long that might take. “Even if we waved a magic wand and stopped using plastic, it’s unclear how long plastic would continue to circulate through our rivers waters systems,” he said. “Based on what we do know about plastic found in deep sources of groundwater, and accumulated in rivers, I would guess centuries.”

Animals and humans consume microplastics via water and food, and we likely breathe in micro- and nanoplastic particles in the air, though scientists have yet to understand the health effects. Microplastics can also attract and attach to heavy metals like mercury and other hazardous chemicals, as well as toxic bacteria. “Plastic particles from furniture and carpets could contain flame retardants that are toxic to humans,” Krause said.

Because we are all are exposed to hundreds of synthetic chemicals as soon as we’re born, it’s difficult to say how much longer we’d live if we weren’t exposed, said Mason. “We may never understand all the linkages between plastics and health.”

“But we know enough to say that breathing plastic probably isn’t good, and we should start thinking about dramatically reducing our dependence on plastic,” she said.
Old 08-14-19, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Since this is a thread about reducing waste, I thought I would post this here : I went to Chik-Fil-A yesterday (a company with many policies I am not crazy about). I noticed that in the back, not too far from the garbage can they had a big metal bowl out. There was a sign stating that this was NOT trash, but to collect unopened sauce packages which would be sanitized and re-used. I thought that was a good idea. Sure, they still produce a ton of waste, but a lot of people don't use all the dipping sauces so why not safely collect those unused ones? I do wish it was more obvious, I don't know how long they have had this policy before I noticed it yesterday and I had already thrown out an unopened Honey Mustard sauce package. Live and learn.
Old 08-14-19, 02:13 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I had already thrown out an unopened Honey Mustard sauce package. Live and learn.
I don't know which is worse. Putting honey mustard in your food or throwing it away
Old 08-14-19, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I leave unopened sauce/ketchup packets on the table. They're free to do with them as they see fit.
Old 08-14-19, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Throwing away un-used sauces at Chik fil A must cost them money, so if you have to go there, I say throw away handfuls! (also, I'm sure to them, it's about saving money, not the environment).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.