Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Technical name for "stringy thing" above fingernail cuticle?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-07-15, 09:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never really thought about it too much, and I don't know the technical name for them. I am talking about those little stringy things that sometimes grow out of the skin right above your fingernail cuticle. Is there an actual name for those things? I tried googling, but vague search terms like "fingernail cuticle stringy thing" is giving no results.

I never thought of it much until now, but now I am wondering what causes those stringy things to form and if you're supposed to pull them out. I do pull mine out. They're kinda like a zit. The skin gets red and irritated, and I know you're not technically supposed to pop a zit, but it feels better when you do. I was wondering if these stringy things were similar, i.e. not supposed to pull them but feels better when you do.
Old 09-07-15, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: Technical name for "stringy thing" above fingernail cuticle?

It's lupus.
Old 09-07-15, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

You suck at google search.

Old 09-07-15, 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
You suck at google search.

What search term gave you that pic? I never saw that pic searching for vague terms like "fingernail cuticle stringy thing."

Now that I see it's called a hangnail, I actually do remember hearing that name before. I just had a brainfart and forgot the name. Brainfart is a technical term. I have brainfarts all the time.

It does say you can clip the hangnail. Screw that. I don't bother clipping it. I just grab the fucker and yank it out. It hurts for a split second, but I'm not a baby. I can handle a split second of pain. It's like ripping a bandaid off versus slowly pulling it off. Don't be a baby. Rip the bandaid off.
Old 09-07-15, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I swear all I did was search above fingernail cuticle and looked in images.
Old 09-07-15, 10:38 PM
Banned

I swear all I did was search above fingernail cuticle and looked in images.

Searching for "fingernail cuticle stringy thing" does not give that pic, but searching for "fingernail cuticle" alone does. I should have spent more than five seconds googling I guess. Although that is five more seconds spent googling than OldBoy spends before he posts.
Old 09-07-15, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Worse part of having those is ripping them out and getting lemon juice in it.
Better yet. Ripping them out but going too far and pretty soon you're almost up to the first knuckle ...
Old 09-07-15, 10:58 PM
Banned

Worse part of having those is ripping them out and getting lemon juice in it.
Better yet. Ripping them out but going too far and pretty soon you're almost up to the first knuckle ...
Yeah, it does suck when I rip too much out. It hurts for longer than a split second then.

That happens very rarely though, and it's still not worth it to me to actually take time to clip them properly. I'm reading that nailbiting leads to more hangnails. I am a nailbiter. It's just quicker and easier than using actual clippers. I would bite my toenails too if I could actually reach my foot to my mouth, but I can't, so I have to clip my toenails.
Old 09-08-15, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Those little shreds of skin are hangnails?

I always though those little things at the side/edge of your fingernail that snag on your clothes were hangnails.
Old 09-08-15, 09:01 AM
Suspended

Received 537 Likes on 254 Posts

They're both hangnails. And the best thing to do is visit a professional nail tech for a manicure, so she can show you how to take care of your nails better. I've worn both acrylic and gel nails for years and can tell you that a good manicure is worth every penny, even if you only go occasionally.

In the pharmacy's vitamin section you will find a preparation called Hair Skin & Nails. It's a biotin. Start taking them. They work.

Since I know you're not going to do either of these things, my advice to you in that case is to use a nail clipper to trim off the hangnail, dot some peroxide on the place where it was, yell "Fuck" because it's probably going to sting a bit, and start using hand lotion and paying more attention to your nails.
Old 09-08-15, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 149 Likes on 121 Posts

Be careful ripping those things out. I know people who have gotten really bad infections doing that.
Old 09-08-15, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
They're both hangnails. And the best thing to do is visit a professional nail tech for a manicure, so she can show you how to take care of your nails better. I've worn both acrylic and gel nails for years and can tell you that a good manicure is worth every penny, even if you only go occasionally.

In the pharmacy's vitamin section you will find a preparation called Hair Skin & Nails. It's a biotin. Start taking them. They work.

Since I know you're not going to do either of these things, my advice to you in that case is to use a nail clipper to trim off the hangnail, dot some peroxide on the place where it was, yell "Fuck" because it's probably going to sting a bit, and start using hand lotion and paying more attention to your nails.
@ bolded.

I have always viewed manicures/pedicures as a "girly" thing (even if they're really not). I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those places. I'm a man. *Does the Tim Allen "Arr arr arr" growl thing*
Old 09-08-15, 02:31 PM
Suspended

Received 537 Likes on 254 Posts

Okay, but do at least consider the vitamins too. They really do help.
Old 09-08-15, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 540 Likes on 443 Posts

I never understood why that shred of skin was called any kind of nail.

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
I should have spent more than five seconds googling I guess. Although that is five more seconds spent googling than OldBoy spends before he posts.
Old 09-08-15, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, keep pulling out those hangnails but just leave your DVD collections to the Otters please. Maybe some sort of free random drawing.

A doctor friend has told me he's seen an untreated hangnail infection kill a patient. Tear or pull out hangnail > develop Staph infection but ignore or delay seeking antibiotics > turns into Sepsis which is usually too late for any treatment other than intensive care.
Old 09-08-15, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 177 Posts