Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Teen talks another through a suicide..

Old 02-14-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Teen talks another through a suicide..

Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
This fucking bitch should go to jail for the rest of her life for what she did. But, she just got a minor sentence. Fucking entitled piece of shit.
Maybe she was/is mentally ill as well. The boy was a moron.

Girl: "Go back into truck and kill yourself."

Boy: "Ummm, OK!"

I guess we need to prosecute people for giving absurd instructions to people who...actually do it?

Hey, TheDude, go jump off a cliff! I guess if you actually do this, I'll be prosecuted.
Old 02-14-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

I guess we need to prosecute people for giving absurd instructions to people who...actually do it?

Hey, TheDude, go jump off a cliff! I guess if you actually do this, I'll be prosecuted.
Wow, a simplistic response to complex issue. What a shock!
Old 02-14-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If she were mentally ill, her defense would have used it as a means to get her off. They didn't. The boy wasn't a moron; he suffered from depression and this fuckstick egg'd him on for her own pleasure. She should be in jail for decades.

I hope you don't approach all situations with this much lack of reasoning.
Old 02-14-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
I made a typo. But a minute later I fixed my post.

Oh, bummer. I was hoping there was something I missed and she actually got 5 years. 15 months will likely mean she will only serve 6-9 months at most.
Old 02-14-19, 12:39 PM

'Go jump off a cliff" is a figure of speech, as is "Break a leg". Those are not meant to be taken literally. What this girl said to the boy was meant to be taken literally.
Old 02-14-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I think it's expected that if you see someone in pain that wants to kill themselves that you at least try to do what you can to convince them not to. You don't have to be a hero about it and wrestle the gun or knife away or anything like that but if you can just use simple words to try to encourage them to change their minds, or call someone who can get help, that's what I think a civilized person would/should do. I think that's a morale obligation. However this went the complete other direction and she actually encouraged the behavior and I do agree it crossed over into a criminal action.Having said that I don't agree a harsher sentence would have been justified since there was a long history here of him saying and trying to do this in the past and she claims she was helping someone in pain put an end to it.. so I think she believed there was some level of compassion to justify her actions.

Old 02-14-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
she was helping someone in pain put an end to it.. so I think she believed there was some level of compassion to justify her actions.
Did you read through the texts? She wasn't trying to help him in any way. This was a local story for me so it was constantly on the news around here.

https://www.boston25news.com/news/al...died/532942907
Old 02-14-19, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn ... now THAT is a real moral quandary ...

(just kidding DVDP!)
Old 02-14-19, 01:07 PM

The woman was an evil cun%. She should be imprisoned for the rest of her life, and maybe worse.

Anyone defending her is a piece of shit. And, I agree that if the genders were reversed you'd have all sorts of women's groups condemning the guy. But, since it's an "innocent" woman who can do no wrong, you barely hear any outcry from anyone. Fucking typical.
Old 02-14-19, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Did you read through the texts? She wasn't trying to help him in any way. This was a local story for me so it was constantly on the news around here.

That was just that day. My understanding is that she had helped in many times in the past NOT do it and this was a long ongoing thing. Is that not correct?
Old 02-14-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The woman was an evil cun%. She should be imprisoned for the rest of her life, and maybe worse.

Anyone defending her is a piece of shit. And, I agree that if the genders were reversed you'd have all sorts of women's groups condemning the guy. But, since it's an "innocent" woman who can do no wrong, you barely hear any outcry from anyone. Fucking typical.
Educate yourself on the story. She's not innocent...but not a murderer. This kid had a history of this type of behavior. Blame the moron parents for not helping their kid. Come to think of it...where were the parents? How about school counselors?

Putting this all on a teen girl is rather myopic. If a boy did this...I'd say the same thing.
Old 02-14-19, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Wow, a simplistic response to complex issue. What a shock!
He's nothing if not consistent.
Old 02-14-19, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
'Go jump off a cliff" is a figure of speech, as is "Break a leg". Those are not meant to be taken literally. What this girl said to the boy was meant to be taken literally.
Did she say she wanted him dead? Were you in her teenage mind at the time (I know wouldn't wanna be)?

Figure of speech? How do you know somebody isn't going to take something said the wrong way when YOU say it? You have no control over what people interpret. You have no control over the actions they will take from what you say--even if you think it's harmless and even if you think the phrases you use...are "common knowledge".

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 02-14-19 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post

First, those texts provided were ONLY for that single day of the suicide. We have no transcripts of the prior texts between the two, from what I can tell. Sort of biased, imo, Because that day does not represent the entire situation equally, nor does it present both people in this case, fairly.

Did you read the last 4 texts, however. Doesn't sound like somebody who was apathetic. It seems to me these two kids were going back and forth for some time, and when Conrad didn't answer back...Michelle was worried. I don't think these two were even comprehending what they were doing. It was only after the fact, that Michelle realized what her friend had done.

Michelle: "Are you gonna do it now"

Conrad: "I haven't left yet haha""

A very odd and dysfunction relationship, and yes, a better friend should have told the parents and whoever else (not sure if she did or not). But murder? Nope. Not even manslaughter, imo. It's a dangerous precedence for Juries and Judges to enforce.
Old 02-14-19, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Educate yourself on the story. She's not innocent...but not a murderer. This kid had a history of this type of behavior. Blame the moron parents for not helping their kid. Come to think of it...where were the parents? How about school counselors?
💯
Old 02-19-19, 10:33 PM

Putting this all on a teen girl is rather myopic. If a boy did this...I'd say the same thing.
I have educated myself on the story, and stand by everything I've posted. This woman was a heinous piece of garbage & deserves a much worse punishment than she's gotten. It would have been one thing if she had ignored the kid, but she actively encouraged him. Again, I don't see that this type of criminal behavior is at all defensible.

Last edited by TheDude; 02-19-19 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-20-19, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good thing she didn’t tell him to take a short walk off a long pier
Old 02-20-19, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have educated myself on the story, and stand by everything I've posted. This woman was a heinous piece of garbage & deserves a much worse punishment than she's gotten. It would have been one thing if she had ignored the kid, but she actively encouraged him. Again, I don't see that this type of criminal behavior is at all defensible.
Old 02-20-19, 08:30 AM

Totally agree I don't think DVD Poliezi has read the multiple times she tried to get him to commit suicide
Old 02-22-19, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Fair enough. I respectfully disagree with you though. I just don't think we should be putting people in jail for uttering words (other than what we already have embedded in laws that pertain to security). That's very dangerous. If there was any other evidence like preparing the vehicle or preparing the place he actually killed himself...I'd be more on your side for her getting more time.
Old 02-22-19, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

So, as I alluded to earlier in the thread, she also spent YEARS talking him out of suicide and tried to help him. However, as time went on and nothing helped, she started to realize that suicide probably was the best option for him. As I've said it doesn't excuse what she did but it does provide a bit of clarity around why she did it and I don't think she's the monster people who just look at one days worth of chat transcripts jump to the conclusion that she is. For that reason I think her sentence is reasonable.
Old 02-22-19, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
she started to realize that suicide probably was the best option for him.
Full stop....no
Old 02-22-19, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fair enough. I respectfully disagree with you though. I just don't think we should be putting people in jail for uttering words (other than what we already have embedded in laws that pertain to security). That's very dangerous. If there was any other evidence like preparing the vehicle or preparing the place he actually killed himself...I'd be more on your side for her getting more time.
Isn't Massachusetts the only state that allowed to criminally press charges on her? Correct me if I'm wrong.