Reload this Page >

Interview attire

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Interview attire

Old 08-29-15, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interview attire

Do people still dress completely professional with a suit+jacket for job interviews?

I have a nice button down shirt and dress pants and a tie to wear, but I have "outgrown" my jacket. I hate to buy a new jacket just to wear it once and then probably never wear it again for 10 years.

I have an interview next week for an entry level corporate position. I am thinking since it is not for anything upper level then maybe the lack of a jacket won't matter too much, but I don't know.
Old 08-29-15, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Interview attire

Get a jacket. Unless its customer service or manual labor, wear a suit.
Old 08-29-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dress to impress. Since you want a corporate job, wear the full suit and tie just to be safe. If you don't want to do that, recon the company and see how everyone else is dressed. Then go slightly above that because you want to stand out.
Old 08-29-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I try to dress up from the position I'm applying for--so if I'd be working in business casual, I would go on the high end of that or a suit. Corporate job sounds like a suit to me.
Old 08-29-15, 01:09 PM

Depends on the job. If it's an IT position don't even bother wearing a clean shirt.
Old 08-29-15, 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Depends on the job. If it's an IT position don't even bother wearing a clean shirt.
IT is very casual, I know.

My interview is for an entry level accounting position. It's in private industry, not in the public sector, so I won't be working with public clients. I know working in public I would have to dress up all the time, which is one (of many) reasons why I refuse to ever work in public.

Originally Posted by emachine12 View Post
Dress to impress. Since you want a corporate job, wear the full suit and tie just to be safe. If you don't want to do that, recon the company and see how everyone else is dressed. Then go slightly above that because you want to stand out.
I haven't exactly reconned the company dress code, but I have eaten lunch at restaurants near the company a few times. Everyone I see dresses very business casual, i.e. button down shirt with no tie. I don't think I ever saw a single person with a tie. So I am thinking (and hoping) that dressing "one level above" them would be as simple as wearing a tie. I'm a "large" person so finding a new jacket that fits properly is difficult and expensive, especially if I never even wear it after this one time.
Old 08-29-15, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

wear a jacket fatty
Old 08-29-15, 01:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
wear a jacket fatty
This would basically be me if I try to wear my current jacket.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BYB3Fx0a8-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-29-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, your self-deprecating nature saved me from posting the "fat guy in a little coat" link.

But yeah, wear a suit.

I have an interview on Wednesday. Gonna be interesting. They will have a battery of different people interviewing me, which I've experienced before; it was the same way at my last company, so I was actually on both sides of that process. The interesting part is that in the name of efficiency, they're having ALL candidates come in at the same time, and just rotating interviewers. Man, it's sure gonna be awkward in the lobby.
Old 08-29-15, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have a better opinion of you if you wore a jacket and NO TIE than a tie and no jacket.

But food for thought at least - I remember one interview I went on where I wore a suit an interview and the four people that interviewed me all were wearing polos and khakis. 3/4 told me "we don't wear suits here, this is a laid back office" which was code for "WTF are you wearing a suit?" When I didn't get the job, I asked the hiring manager why she didn't bother to tell me not to wear a suit as it would make everyone uncomfortable she said "it was your job to know that." When I said everyone on their website had suits on, she had no response. So who knows.
Old 08-29-15, 02:11 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Especially if you're a big guy, a sport jacket will make you appear slimmer. I also vote for the coat.
Old 08-29-15, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Well, your self-deprecating nature saved me from posting the "fat guy in a little coat" link.

But yeah, wear a suit.

I have an interview on Wednesday. Gonna be interesting. They will have a battery of different people interviewing me, which I've experienced before; it was the same way at my last company, so I was actually on both sides of that process. The interesting part is that in the name of efficiency, they're having ALL candidates come in at the same time, and just rotating interviewers. Man, it's sure gonna be awkward in the lobby.
My interview is on Wednesday too. We better not be competing for the same job!

I doubt it though. The person I talked to on the phone didn't say anything about multiple interviewers/interviewees.
Old 08-29-15, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm starting a new job in a little over a week. For my first interview, I wore a suit. For my second, business casual. For my third, blue jeans.
Old 08-29-15, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
I'm starting a new job in a little over a week. For my first interview, I wore a suit. For my second, business casual. For my third, blue jeans.
For the fourth, birthday suit!
Old 08-29-15, 02:21 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
First day of work...Commando.

*edit - Sniped by kgrogers!

Last edited by VinVega; 08-29-15 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Sniped!
Old 08-29-15, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
For the fourth, birthday suit!
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
First day of work...Commando.

*edit - Sniped by kgrogers!
Yesterday I was interviewing a potential replacement for my current job. I'm on vacation, so I came in in shorts and a T-shirt.

At one point he said he was hoping to fill my shoes. I put my feet up on the table and said "Well, I'm wearing flip flops."

It's feeling like I'm in Office Space.
Old 08-29-15, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Always better to be a little over dressed than under dressed. Any company who wouldn't hire someone because they were dressed up is a bunch of jack-offs. I've interviewed in corporate casual type places and have been told its OK to go casual on follow up interviews. I would still wear a sport jacket, open collar shirt and khaki's.

When I used to get dressed up every day, it really didn't bother me. In fact I enjoyed getting nice clothes. I became quite a clothes horse. I still have more than a dozen sport coats and 4 suits in my closet.

I'm probably going to offend a few but even in today's more casual business atmosphere, to not have one sport coat is pretty low class. There are still weddings and funerals in addition to job interviews where wearing a jacket shows good taste.

Go to Jos A Banks, or Men's Wearhouse and shop the clearance stuff. You can still get a good quality jacket that will last for decades for $100 that will blow away anything from Kohl's or other department stores.
Old 08-29-15, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For an accounting position? Almost certainly wear a shirt and tie at the very minimum. No one has ever been hurt by overdressing for a job interview.
Old 08-29-15, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
No one has ever been hurt by overdressing for a job interview.
Old 08-29-15, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Always better to be a little over dressed than under dressed. Any company who wouldn't hire someone because they were dressed up is a bunch of jack-offs. I've interviewed in corporate casual type places and have been told its OK to go casual on follow up interviews. I would still wear a sport jacket, open collar shirt and khaki's.

When I used to get dressed up every day, it really didn't bother me. In fact I enjoyed getting nice clothes. I became quite a clothes horse. I still have more than a dozen sport coats and 4 suits in my closet.

I'm probably going to offend a few but even in today's more casual business atmosphere, to not have one sport coat is pretty low class. There are still weddings and funerals in addition to job interviews where wearing a jacket shows good taste.

Go to Jos A Banks, or Men's Wearhouse and shop the clearance stuff. You can still get a good quality jacket that will last for decades for $100 that will blow away anything from Kohl's or other department stores.
Yup. I went to one interview suited up, I went in for a follow up and they said "oh, you didn't have to wear the suit the second time" (I should have been clued in on the first interview when the interviewer was wearing a Descendents' Bonus Fat T-shirt), but it certainly didn't hurt me.

And the suit I'm talking about (and will wear on Wednesday) cost me $25 at the Goodwill. The funny part is that the tie I wear actually cost more ($30 at Nordstrom's). It was just good luck that I found a suit there that was practically tailored for me. I bought it as a goof, for going to a bar one night, and since it fit so well I had it professionally cleaned after the bar outing. Worn it for three interviews since, with a 3-for-3 record. It's Italian, too.
Old 08-29-15, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
Old 08-29-15, 04:46 PM
Banned

I do have a jacket, but I haven't worn it since the last funeral I attended which was in 2006. I have gained quite a bit of weight since then, and it doesn't fit anymore.

A jacket lasting decades is kinda pointless when you more than likely are going to gain weight in that time.

Oh yeah, I forgot this is DVDTalk. Everyone here is buff with six pack abs and has never and will never gain weight.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
For an accounting position? Almost certainly wear a shirt and tie at the very minimum. No one has ever been hurt by overdressing for a job interview.
I did say I was going to wear a button down shirt and tie. The question was about wearing a jacket.

I probably will go to Wal-Mart or somewhere and buy a cheap jacket. I don't want to spend a lot of money (I consider even the $100 mentioned above too much) because I don't imagine I will actually wear this jacket more than a couple times. Like mentioned above, I only really ever dress up for interviews, funerals, and weddings, and those events happen rarely.
Old 08-29-15, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never dress better than the person interviewing you. It's not 1952. It also sends a statement you want their job.

You are part of a team. Not in charge of it.

A lack of jacket will send a message you know your place.

After you're hired...kick ass.
Old 08-29-15, 05:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Never dress better than the person interviewing you. It's not 1952. It also sends a statement you want their job.

You are part of a team. Not in charge of it.

A lack of jacket will send a message you know your place.

After you're hired...kick ass.
Not sure if serious or joking.

Not that I would want the interviewer's actual job, but wouldn't the company like to know that I may want to stay with them and advance with them? Isn't that the whole point of the "where do you see yourself in 5 years" question? They typically don't want to hire an obvious job hopper who is going to quit in a year.

How would I know what the interviewer is going to wear? Should I call and ask or would that be considered too weird? "Hey ya watcha wearin'?"

I figure most people just observe their co-workers on the first day to see what the dress code is.
Old 08-29-15, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
I do have a jacket, but I haven't worn it since the last funeral I attended which was in 2006. I have gained quite a bit of weight since then, and it doesn't fit anymore.

A jacket lasting decades is kinda pointless when you more than likely are going to gain weight in that time.

Oh yeah, I forgot this is DVDTalk. Everyone here is buff with six pack abs and has never and will never gain weight.

I did say I was going to wear a button down shirt and tie. The question was about wearing a jacket.

I probably will go to Wal-Mart or somewhere and buy a cheap jacket. I don't want to spend a lot of money (I consider even the $100 mentioned above too much) because I don't imagine I will actually wear this jacket more than a couple times. Like mentioned above, I only really ever dress up for interviews, funerals, and weddings, and those events happen rarely.
Gaining weight is always a possibility, but within reason, good clothing is always worth getting tailored.

By lasting I meant something like a good blue blazer. Never goes out of style and can worn with dress pants, khaki's or even jeans.

To be honest, if I were an interviewer and an adult (anyone out of college) walked into an interview wearing a sport coat from Wal Mart, I would probably give them a lower score than someone without a jacket at all. The only time I didn't hold casual apparel against a job seeker in an interview was for a guy seeking the warehouse job. He was wearing jeans a sport shirt and casual shoes so he passed. Of course he was also the only one who answered the ad so I had no choice.

Which jacket is cheaper, the one for $100 that can be several times a year for 10 years and still look brand new, or the $40 one that will look crinkly after one cleaning because the material is crap?

You asked a question and you're not liking the answers, but as an adult seeking a white collar job in accounting, part of that process is looking like a professional.

Of course like the situation I had, if only three people are interviewing and they show up in jeans and t-shirts and you have a shirt and tie you'll look great compared to them. If they show up dressed up and you don't, you'll stick out for the wrong reason.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.