Reload this Page >

Interview attire

Other Talk "Otterville"

Interview attire

Old 09-04-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 574 Likes on 446 Posts
Re: Interview attire

I sent a thank-you email yesterday. I got a call this morning from the staffing agency that said I'm in the "final two" candidates. Considering that the on-site manager made several allusions to hiring more than one of the candidates, it's almost certain.

Literally within 30 minutes of this news, two other companies I've applied for called me for interviews. WTF? Where were these people the last few months when I was piling my shopping cart full of Top Ramen at the grocery store? I swear, for a while I was happy when I'd get an E-mail REJECTING me for a job I'd applied for, because at least it was some contact. 9 times out of 10, I wasn't even getting that.
Old 09-04-15, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
^ question, does it count if the person seems very likeable or experience beats everything
I rarely think about it that way. The question I try to answer is, "After a reasonable ramp-up time, will this person make my job easier or harder?" That includes easy to work with, intelligent, and experience. If necessary, I prefer a very intelligent, motivated person that's easy to work with than a highly experienced one, unless it is a highly specialized job.
Old 09-05-15, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I always wore a shirt and tie to interviews. I don't own a sportscoat or suit of any kind. My feeling is that in my field no one actually wears a suit on the daily (except the superintendent of the district), so it's overkill. And there's no job worth sweating out a Phoenix summer in a 100% wool monstrosity.

Of course, when I got the job that I have now, the principal interviewed me in her running clothes and the lady before me (who was also hired), couldn't find a babysitter and had to bring her daughter with. Soooo, I dunno.
Old 09-05-15, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 574 Likes on 446 Posts

Merit, qualifications, and experience are good and all, but that's what got you the interview vs. having your resume thrown in the trash. When you're at the interview, it's to set you apart from the other 3 or 4 people with similar qualifications. A more professional appearance, even if it is "overkill" could very well be the tipping point. Wear a suit.
Old 09-05-15, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Old 09-05-15, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

I wanted to send the OP here: http://amdt.wsu.edu/research/dti/men/

However I think it may be racist.