Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Road Rage - how do you cope?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 08-20-15, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprisingly I didn't see a thread already in my quick search and I am truly asking...do most people have better coping skills than me or what? How does everyone handle the complete idiocy of most drivers every time you get in the road? I literally have a mantra/ritual I go through every time I get in the car to try to be a "better" driver. I know there is going to be an idiot or aggressive asshole every time I get on the road so I am not going to let an idiot make me become an idiot just like them. I'm better than that. I'm better then they are and I'm gonna be calm and be safe. Most of the time it works but today was a total fail.

I was in the left hand lane and the guy in front of me was going 70. Great. For no reason he started slowing and swerving into the other lane and slowed to 50. I got in the other lane to get around this person, still calm and just trying to move on. He immediately sped up, so I couldn't get around him, to 75. I lost it and swerved over in front of him and slowed down to 50 to piss him off becoming the idiot I was just trying to get away from. I got off the freeway and tried to calm down going about 50 and some one turned into my lane which was two lanes over for them and made me slam on my breaks since they were going about 25. I swerved around them honking the whole time acting like an idiot again.

I could keep going as I had about 3 more fails but you get the point. You drive too. How do you cope? What mental tricks do you use? I would seriously like any little thing that would help me not be the idiot I'm trying to keep from getting under my skin. I really think 80% of the problems could be avoided if people just paid attention to the very serious task they were performing and not use it as a staging ground for texting, phone calls, grooming time, acting entitled to do anything and everything as long as I get where I'm going regardless of everyone else, etc.

Last edited by celmendo; 08-20-15 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-20-15, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
Re: Road Rage - how do you cope?

Like most things. Breathe.
Old 08-20-15, 09:15 PM

LOL I'm a birthing mother stereotype every day. It helps.
Old 08-20-15, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 145 Likes on 117 Posts

I know there is going to be an idiot or aggressive asshole every time I get on DVDtalk.com so I am not going to let an idiot make me become an idiot just like them. I'm better than that. I'm better then they are and I'm gonna be calm and be safe.
Old 08-20-15, 09:18 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by celmendo View Post
What mental tricks do you use?
I have a vivid imagination, so I like to day dream about ramming the asshole off the side of the road so that he runs into a concrete barrier and dies violently in a fiery explosion. Other times I like to imagine I have machine guns and/or a rocket launcher mounted on my car, and I blow up the asshole's car and then as he exits the car screaming and burning I run him over and then back up and run him over again.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 08-20-15 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-20-15, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

I cope by keeping a flask of whiskey in the glove box.
Old 08-20-15, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've mounted a swiveling camera in my car and started posting videos to YouTube of all these assholes complete with commentary and occasional phone calls to the police!
Old 08-20-15, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

I remember that I've inadvertently or carelessly done dumb things on the road that I'm sure would have annoyed me to no end if I was one of the surrounding drivers. So I try to assume the best about other people that do seemingly dumb things and keep it all in perspective. I don't always have that mindset, but it does work most of the time.
Old 08-20-15, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Old 08-20-15, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 180 Posts

the problem is that you assume that they're doing shit to piss you off, so you get angry. Just assume that they're oblivious, or have a reason, or whatever.
Old 08-20-15, 10:26 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by celmendo View Post
            In just two paragraphs, look how many times you refer to other drivers as idiots. If all other drivers are idiots, and you're a freaking god send, then yes every little incident that doesn't go your way will get under your skin. It really is that simple.
            Old 08-20-15, 10:26 PM
            DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

I used to get all worked about other drivers. Now, not so much. I try to be proactive in noticing bad drivers. And then just stay as far the hell away from them as I can. If it means resigning myself to put-putting along in the slow lane for a few miles, so be it. Taking a little longer to get where I'm going is worth the trade-off of not getting road rage and putting myself in dangerous situations.
            Old 08-20-15, 10:36 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Here are some road rage tips that you may find helpful:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vuKnR8RvxHY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
            Old 08-20-15, 10:41 PM
            DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I just don't care. I have only had a handful of things happen and even with someone flipping me off (because I was going the speed limit and did not want to be on the side of a HUGE truck) I was very meh about it. I have real things to deal with or worry about so I just don't let such things cause me any trouble.
            Old 08-20-15, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by SuperJim88 View Post
            In just two paragraphs, look how many times you refer to other drivers as idiots. If all other drivers are idiots, and you're a freaking god send, then yes every little incident that doesn't go your way will get under your skin. It really is that simple.
            I may have worded my post poorly but I think I was pretty clear I'm trying to overcome a problem I have. I do get your point about changing my way of thinking. Help with that was kind of the reason for my post. Thanks for your and everyone else's response.
            Old 08-21-15, 01:46 AM
            DVD Talk Hero

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want to change your way of thinking, remind yourself to get some perspective. Why are you driving. To get from Point A to Point B, presumably. Is that jerk in the next car really interfering with your ability to do that? Doubtful. You do want to get there safely. That means minimize your interaction with the jerk. He wants to shoot past you at 20 MPH over the speed limit? Pull over and let him pass. There's no trophy for beating him.

Or maybe the jerk is slow and he's making you go 10 MPH slower than you would otherwise -- 65 MPH instead of 75. And let's say Point A and Point B are 50 miles apart. OK, he just cost you 6 minutes. Is 6 minutes out of your life really worth getting upset over? Turn on the radio, listen to another song or two, and enjoy your drive.
            Old 08-21-15, 05:52 AM
            DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I open the glove box, reach inside Gonna wreck this fucker's ride I guess, I got a bad habit Of blowin' away
            Old 08-21-15, 07:21 AM
            DVD Talk Hero

Received 602 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
            If you want to change your way of thinking, remind yourself to get some perspective. Why are you driving. To get from Point A to Point B, presumably. Is that jerk in the next car really interfering with your ability to do that? Doubtful. You do want to get there safely. That means minimize your interaction with the jerk. He wants to shoot past you at 20 MPH over the speed limit? Pull over and let him pass. There's no trophy for beating him.

Or maybe the jerk is slow and he's making you go 10 MPH slower than you would otherwise -- 65 MPH instead of 75. And let's say Point A and Point B are 50 miles apart. OK, he just cost you 6 minutes. Is 6 minutes out of your life really worth getting upset over? Turn on the radio, listen to another song or two, and enjoy your drive.
            This is pretty much my attitude. Life is too short to allow others to dictate your actions and reactions.
            Old 08-21-15, 07:33 AM
            RIP

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Xanax and booze. Or maybe see a shrink.
            Old 08-21-15, 07:37 AM
            DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

By realizing that it just does not matter.

Try driving in an area with real traffic sometime then you will understand.
            Old 08-21-15, 08:07 AM
            Admin

Received 342 Likes on 219 Posts

I usually yell at the stupids on the road. It keeps me from doing something equally stupid with my car. Or I just tell myself "Serenity Now."
            Old 08-21-15, 08:10 AM
            DVD Talk Legend

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

Idiot drivers will forever be a constant. The best you can do is shake your head at their foolishness and move on. Not worth the aggravation.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 08-21-15 at 10:02 AM.
            Old 08-21-15, 08:28 AM
            DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warning--gratuitous profanity to follow:

Here's how I cope with road rage: get in one fucking car accident (not road-rage related) in 25 years and watch your car insurance fucking double--and I don't know if this is nationwide or just Massachusetts, but that stays on your license for SIX FUCKING YEARS.

So yeah, any annoyance I might feel towards another driver instantly disappears when I consider the prospect of me doing ANYTHING that could conceivably lead to some kind of incident.
            Old 08-21-15, 09:50 AM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

For me, the solution was to get rid of my car.
            Old 08-21-15, 10:06 AM
            Admin

Received 342 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
            For me, the solution was to get rid of my car.
            I know you're a fancy bicycle boy now.

wendersfan spotted recently at a Columbus Crew match...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.