Reload this Page >

YAET: Most likely got ripped off on a $160 phone purchase

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-17-15, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I won an auction for a Samsung Galaxy S4 and unfortunately did a direct transfer from checking account rather than use a credit card (couldn't get the Paypal to recognize the credit card for some reason). Paid $6 for priority mail.

Nothing. Sent text to seller, no response. First chance I could I opened a dispute with eBay asking for refund. Seller responded that she had been out of state and mailed it that day and would provide a tracking number later. She provided a tracking number but it was an invalid tracking number (with UPS). Then she asks me to close the case because it had been mailed and she had the (invalid) tracking number.

Meanwhile I saw on her feedback one negative which was for a phone sale from about a year ago, for a different phone, and comment was that the seller had kept the money and the phone and drained her Paypal account to prevent eBay from recovering it.

Oh well. I have a few more days before I can escalate the dispute. Or maybe the phone will appear in the mail? My only question is why would she pretend to sell an S4, why not an iPhone 6 or a Nexus 6 or something worth $300 or $400?

In the meantime I really can't bid on another phone just in case this one magically appears, I don't want two phones.

Question: If she never does mail it and drains her Paypal account, is there any chance of my recovering the money? Her feedback is around 60, she sells stuff now and then.
Old 08-17-15, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: YAET: Most likely got ripped off on a $160 phone purchase

Heat! How the hell have you been man?!

ps -- You're hosed.
Old 08-17-15, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lol, I know. She is stalling for time to drain her Paypal account.

And doing fine, thanks.
Old 08-17-15, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought that if a ruling went against a seller and they drained their account, paypal would still refund the payment and make the sellers balance negative, so that they either pay it back or their account gets closed and they go after them for collections?

In any case, I wouldn't think that you'd just be able to resume selling after something like that.
Old 08-17-15, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't close the case but do ask her for the correct tracking number. And keep copies of all communications with the seller because it will help your case should it come to that.

If the item was covered by Ebay's Money Back Guarantee and you followed all the procedures, you should be ok.
Old 08-17-15, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You're fine. You will get a refund. Hell you could get the phone and lie and say you didnt and still keep the money. EBay is a buyer's paradise.
Old 08-17-15, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I thought that if a ruling went against a seller and they drained their account, paypal would still refund the payment and make the sellers balance negative, so that they either pay it back or their account gets closed and they go after them for collections?

In any case, I wouldn't think that you'd just be able to resume selling after something like that.
That's what I thought. Maybe she opens an account and does only one sale so by the time paypal puts their info together, she's already made her money and cleaned out the account.

Hey there Heat! One hell of a username for this summer.
Old 08-17-15, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Heat View Post
Lol, I know. She is stalling for time to drain her Paypal account.
Nope. The money has already been "held". It's probably why she's not happy. But tough crap.

She does sound like an irresponsible seller, not a con artist. You'll probably get your phone still. Hopefully it doesn't have unpaid bills attached or something like that.
Old 08-17-15, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
ps -- You're hosed.
No, he's not. In my experience as a seller ebay/paypal does not give a damn how much documentation you give before forcing a refund. It'll take a while, but you'll get your cash back.
Old 08-18-15, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
No, he's not. In my experience as a seller ebay/paypal does not give a damn how much documentation you give before forcing a refund. It'll take a while, but you'll get your cash back.
Yes he is ... He's Heat! Ever read his threads?

I say that in the most loving and respectful Central Illinois manner.
Old 08-18-15, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The phone arrived today! Though it was good to know that I did have protection.

It was as described, I put in the SIM card and it works fine. AT&T phone but I am using a Cricket SIM card (Cricket being a prepaid division of AT&T).

I already had four phones, on Cricket the price of four phones and five phones is the same, $100.
Old 08-18-15, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
No, he's not. In my experience as a seller ebay/paypal does not give a damn how much documentation you give before forcing a refund.
As a seller - if you had a tracking #, and the package was delivered, you're good. The problems begin when you are dealing with product quality, damaged shipment, or not-as-described. That's where their whole system becomes confrontational and volatile.