Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Better 1st date place ever?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Better 1st date place?
Restaurant
31.43%
Coffee shop/house
31.43%
Other (please specify)
20.00%
What are you high?
17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-15, 07:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i was always comfortable with a meal and some drinks or just the meal. some consider a coffee shop the better place.

what do you think?
Old 08-09-15, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Better 1st date place ever?

Grab a drink and go bowling or play some darts or pool.
Old 08-09-15, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like to do an early coffee date (like 4 PM) that if things are going well, I can transition into a dinner date.
Old 08-09-15, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/erywPdFfORE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-09-15, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Depends on if it's a blind date.
Old 08-09-15, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

No movies and no dinner. Go miniature golfing, or any spots that involve you guys sharing activities together. Build comfort and rapport. Traditional activities like films hinder that, because you're not talking in a darkened theater and if you go to dinner you have to talk while stuffing your face. No dinners until after you've slept together.
Old 08-09-15, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The crawlspace of my grandmother's house.
Old 08-09-15, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Church
Old 08-09-15, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coffee allows you to see if that person is actively crazy for $10 instead of $50.
Old 08-09-15, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dating no longer truly exists. Do whatever you like.
Old 08-09-15, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Better 1st date place?
That would be the butt, Bob.
Old 08-09-15, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
No movies and no dinner. Go miniature golfing, or any spots that involve you guys sharing activities together. Build comfort and rapport. Traditional activities like films hinder that, because you're not talking in a darkened theater and if you go to dinner you have to talk while stuffing your face. No dinners until after you've slept together.
I was more of a movie and dinner guy when I was single, but this does make a lot more sense. Too late now, I'm married (but now that I think about it, I did take my now wife out for miniature golfing on our second date, maybe that helped!)
Old 08-09-15, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I voted "other." Depending on how much you like her, the answer could be:

1.) wherever she wants to go
OR
2.) a cheap motel

Why So Blu? hit the nail on the head. What is the purpose of this first date? Is this somebody you already know or somebody you haven't met before? The trick is finding an activity that is long enough to get to know the person, but short enough that neither of you feel trapped. A short activity that goes well could segue into another activity or dinner, but don't lock yourselves into that up front. This is another reason a movie or theater is bad, it has a finite time period you are locked into without truly spending time together.

Another suggestion ... pick something neither of you have done before. That reinforces the shared experience. Ask her if there is something she has always wanted to do but never has -- go to a zoo, a local festival, a wine tasting, off-roading, a cooking lesson, a museum, etc.
Old 08-09-15, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post

OR
2.) a cheap motel

Why So Blu? hit the nail on the head. What is the purpose of this first date? Is this somebody you already know or somebody you haven't met before? The trick is finding an activity that is long enough to get to know the person, but short enough that neither of you feel trapped. A short activity that goes well could segue into another activity or dinner, but don't lock yourselves into that up front. This is another reason a movie or theater is bad, it has a finite time period you are locked into without truly spending time together.

Another suggestion ... pick something neither of you have done before. That reinforces the shared experience. Ask her if there is something she has always wanted to do but never has -- go to a zoo, a local festival, a wine tasting, off-roading, a museum, etc.

Old 08-09-15, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post

OR
2.) a cheap motel

Another suggestion ... pick something neither of you have done before. That reinforces the shared experience. Ask her if there is something she has always wanted to do but never has -- go to a zoo, a local festival, a wine tasting, off-roading, a cooking lesson, a museum, etc.

Steamworks
Old 08-09-15, 10:41 PM
Suspended

Political rally. End the night with a hearty discussion of how much your personal finance will allow for political contributions.
Old 08-10-15, 12:26 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask her if she's opposed to you pee'ing in her butt if she's down, marry her on the spot!
Old 08-10-15, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
Steamworks
That reminds me, I need to start planning for this year's Chicago conference trip ...
Old 08-10-15, 04:45 AM

Drink(s).
Best way to see if there's a click, and you can make it as short/long as you will.
Old 08-10-15, 07:58 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Go to your local Scientology center for an audit.
Old 08-10-15, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Coffee, drink, or quick meal in an area that has places to walk around. Like a downtown area. That way either of you can bail after the coffee/drink. However, if you both stay to walk around and keep chatting, then you know the date is going well.
Old 08-10-15, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I prefer going to drinks and then transitioning into dinner if you hit it off during the drinks portion. You can stay at the same place and eat at the bar, get a table at that place, or go to a completely different place. If you set the expectation at drinks you can always cut it short after a drink or 2 and only be out $20-$30. I don't personally think people let their guard down over coffee and a movie is a horrible date for anyone short of long term relationship status.
Old 08-10-15, 09:17 AM

I usually prefer drinks during Happy Hour. It's earlier in the day, drinks are cheaper, and if things go well, you can keep going as the night goes on. Another tip is to find a bar that has a lot of board games. It's a super easy ice breaker and doesn't force you to keep the conversation going with terrible first date questions.
Old 08-10-15, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been digging this "social dating" thing recently. Instead of planning a real date we plan to meet up at a bar on a Friday/Saturday night when we're out with friends anyway. It ends up being a group thing and even if there is no connection between me and my date, everyone usually has fun anyway. There's no pressure and it's a lot easier to be comfortable and yourself in that situation instead of a first date that usually feels like a job interview.
Old 08-10-15, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I prefer going to drinks and then transitioning into dinner if you hit it off during the drinks portion. You can stay at the same place and eat at the bar, get a table at that place, or go to a completely different place. If you set the expectation at drinks you can always cut it short after a drink or 2 and only be out $20-$30. I don't personally think people let their guard down over coffee and a movie is a horrible date for anyone short of long term relationship status.
This.

I usually selected a great spot--classy bar, wine bar, gastropub, etc.--near her (they always appreciated that I was willing to drive to their area). Worst case scenario: You're only on the hook for a couple of drinks and a half an hour of your time, tops.

If the date is going well, order two or three apps to share.

And always sit at the bar! Arrive early and snag a couple of good seats. Bar seating allows for a closeness that you won't get sitting across from her at a table.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.