Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What's your opinion of employers requiring MMPI (or similar tests) for applicants?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What's your opinion of employers requiring MMPI (or similar tests) for applicants?

Old 08-05-15, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of my nieces told me that a friend of hers was recently required to complete the MMPI as a condition of consideration for employment.

I'm presuming it's even legal to require such a thing, but in the early 90s, I went to work for a private practice psychologist. I was required to take the MMPI in order to be hired there, and I lasted about a month, not because of the MMPI results but because the people there were just batty.

If you had to complete something like this--the Myers-Briggs would be another example--would you?
Old 08-05-15, 03:36 PM
RIP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's your opinion of employers requiring MMPI (or similar tests) for applicants

For jobs, I think it's a human rights violation.

For marriage, I think it should be a legal requirement.
Old 08-05-15, 04:25 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: What's your opinion of employers requiring MMPI (or similar tests) for applicants

I've applied for a job that had a test like this on the application. It was annoying, but I did it anyway.
Old 08-05-15, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't see how it could be seen as being legal. It seems to be a definite form of discrimination to me. If they're going to subject you to a battery of psychological tests before hiring you (looking for sculpted / "desirable" traits for them), they may as well not hire you because you're black or Asian, for example. Seems to be the same concept.

Drug testing, yes I can see that being legal. A secret or top-secret background check by a govt. position, yes again. But not a personality test!
Old 08-05-15, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When I had to take a drug test in the past I have been on antidepressants and since it is illegal for the employer to test for those I don't see how a psychological test would be legal either.

Now the military is different and if you have ever been on psychiatric drugs it is an automatic disqualification I think.
Old 08-05-15, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If this is similar to what I've seen previously (personality types given a colour), my opinion of this type of test for a job is the same as my opinion of this type of test, overall: An utter load of crap.

We had something based on the same principles at my last job. I was fortunate that I work from home, so I wasn't subjected to the hours of drivel their rep spewed. The actual 'test' we had to do made me feel like a small child was attempting to pick at my brain. It makes me sick to think of the amount of money my former employer wasted on this.

It's almost as bad as horoscopes.
Old 08-05-15, 06:48 PM
Suspended

Not if you're applying to work for the Cosmo. It would make perfect sense considering the kind of garbage they print every other pages.
Old 08-05-15, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends. If you're up for it, employers like this are pretty easy to game.

Then, once you've exhausted the company's resources reached a growth plateau in the professional relationship and the business is about to go under an opportunity to further challenge your skillset emerges, move on to the next victim prospective employer.
Old 08-05-15, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I can't see how it could be seen as being legal. It seems to be a definite form of discrimination to me. If they're going to subject you to a battery of psychological tests before hiring you (looking for sculpted / "desirable" traits for them), they may as well not hire you because you're black or Asian, for example. Seems to be the same concept.

Drug testing, yes I can see that being legal. A secret or top-secret background check by a govt. position, yes again. But not a personality test!
Same concept. But one is legal and the other isn't.

Discrimination is legal. It just depends on what TYPE of discrimination is being applied, to what group, and if that group is protected under US law.
Old 08-06-15, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

MMPI and Myers-Briggs are two VERY different things. The MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) would be much more appropriate (IMO) for hiring as it tries to identify personality traits. MMPI, although it has been adapted and modified for other purposes, is essentially a diagnostic tool for mental health professionals.

I have plenty of criticism for the MMPI (the levels of absurdity it presents are amazing) but have seen it used in hiring (yes, it is legal). It is very popular in law enforcement agencies, which I would be accepting of if it weren't for the absolute ridiculousness of the scenarios it presents for the test taker. I've even worked places that used variants of it for entry level (video store clerk) positions. Talk about a colossal waste of money ... I digress.

For the record, I am an ENFP on the MBTI and I am SO VERY green on the color personality test. Although they can be used for it, MBTI and the color personality test are not that great for hiring. The purpose of those is really as a communication tool.

The color personality test actually has helped my new boss and me. As I said, I am VERY green which basically means I don't have a filter (I am going to tell you the way it is) and I tend to take unconventional approaches and views of problems. I'm not being rude or difficult, I just don't believe in dog and pony shows. My boss is gold (very much about appearances and conventionality), which makes us a very interesting yin-yang duo (which I had already told her in the past). However, understanding those personality traits in the other one has helped us to communicate and understand the other's perspective.
Old 08-06-15, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Remember the Golden Age when Hollywood was full of great American directors -- Curtiz, Wilder, Wyler, Lang, Hitchcock ... those were the days.