Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Cops keeping the world safe from people selecting music while sitting at a light

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Cops keeping the world safe from people selecting music while sitting at a light

Old 07-29-15, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So did you know that you can get a ticket for texting or looking at email while you're sitting at a light? Well I found out this morning you can get a ticket for picking a song off your phone. At least I only got a warning from some dickwad cop. I was going through my music while sitting at a long light behind about 8 cars and in front of even more. No way I was going anywhere. No danger to anyone. This d*ckwad pulls next to me and stares in my window and then pulls me over when the light turns green.

Cop: Do you know why I'm pulling you over?

Me: Not sure officer.

Cop: What were you doing in your car? (I'm thinking "what did he see me scratch my d*ck or something?")

Me: Uh picking a song to play

Cop: No you were looking at email (No I wasn't but I decided it was pointless to argue. How is looking at email more dangerous than picking music while I'm going 0 mph and have no way of going anywhere?)

Me: But I wasn't moving

Cop: Doesn’t matter it's still a violation, License, registration and insurance!

Turns out I had an insurance card but it's last year's card so he nailed me for a correctable violation for not having current insurance card.

So good to see the cops are making the streets safe from non moving music pickers.
Old 07-29-15, 11:09 AM
Banned

re: Cops keeping the world safe from people selecting music while sitting at a light

I'm still trying to figure out why you didn't censor "dick" the first time you wrote it, but you did censor it the next two times. It's not like you need to censor it anyway. You don't even need to censor "fuck" here anymore. Solid Snake rejoiced the day that happened.
Old 07-29-15, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
re: Cops keeping the world safe from people selecting music while sitting at a light

At least you weren't smoking a cigarette.
Old 07-29-15, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you can check texts at lights here in Iowa. I should make sure that's cool.

I didn't post this while driving.
Old 07-29-15, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What state do you live in? Several states prohibit using hand held cell phones while driving.
Old 07-29-15, 11:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
What state do you live in? Several states prohibit using hand held cell phones while driving.
Ohio is one of those states. I imagine it's annoying to not be able to change Spotify playlists while at a red light, but maybe automobile drivers should get over their massive collective sense of entitlement.
Old 07-29-15, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How is picking up your phone to change songs any different than looking down at your radio to do it? One is okay while the other is "entitlement"?
Old 07-29-15, 11:27 AM
Suspended

Cops aren't your mom. Their job is not to split the hair with you. Oh, "selecting song" is not the same as "texting" and "waiting at the light" is not the same as "driving". Give me a break. For all intend and purpose, you violated the law. Step up and own up to it. Consider yourself unlucky this time around or whatever to help you move on, but you're wrong in this situation.
Old 07-29-15, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SuperJim88 View Post
Cops aren't your mom. Their job is not to split the hair with you. Oh, "selecting song" is not the same as "texting" and "waiting at the light" is not the same as "driving". Give me a break. For all intend and purpose, you violated the law. Step up and own up to it. Consider yourself unlucky this time around or whatever to help you move on, but you're wrong in this situation.
Geez calm down. You seem to be way more wound up about this than me. I wasn't the one splitting hairs. He drew the distinction between looking at email or looking at music. Presumably because there's no law against looking at music.
Old 07-29-15, 11:37 AM
RIP

Goddammit, you're lucky you're not in fucking jail!
Old 07-29-15, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This isn't good for that guy (Decker) who just bought a Tesla S. There's a giant tablet built right into the console.
Old 07-29-15, 11:51 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Geez calm down.
Yeah, sorry. Just came back from gassing up my car, I asked for $25 on pump 2 and gave the cashier $40. He replied, "oh shit, I though you are going to give me $25. How much is the change? Ah shit, so $25, you gave me $40." at which point he started using his fingers.
Old 07-29-15, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is using a phone illegal while on the road where you live? If so, I don't see a problem here.
Old 07-29-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How is this different than changing the radio?

We need to ban car radios.
Old 07-29-15, 12:00 PM

That's why I do it on my watch.
Old 07-29-15, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ridiculous. Austin just banned using phones while driving, but I'm pretty sure you can check at lights or when not moving.
Old 07-29-15, 12:14 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

I need to know what song you were selecting before I determine whether you were guilty.
Old 07-29-15, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

To avoid being accused of checking texts or emails, I still use an ipod.
Old 07-29-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Classic case of racial profiling.
Old 07-29-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
I need to know what song you were selecting before I determine whether you were guilty.
New Ricked Wicky album. Robert Pollard's latest band. I know 99.9% of the public has no idea who that is.

Last edited by cungar; 07-29-15 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-29-15, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
Classic case of racial profiling.
Exactly.

Now I'm taking the cop's side because of your hipster response to Bando.
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
How is this different than changing the radio?

We need to ban car radios.
Or CB radios.

Yes I'm posting from 1975
Old 07-29-15, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is like that Arizona law where, if you're drunk, passed out in your car, and have your keys on you, it's a DUI.
Old 07-29-15, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
This is like that Arizona law where, if you're drunk, passed out in your car, and have your keys on you, it's a DUI.
anywhere in the car? or specifically in the drivers seat?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.