Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Cops keeping the world safe from people selecting music while sitting at a light

Other Talk "Otterville"

Cops keeping the world safe from people selecting music while sitting at a light

Old 07-29-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Cops keeping the world safe from people selecting music while sitting at a light

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
This is like that Arizona law where, if you're drunk, passed out in your car, and have your keys on you, it's a DUI.
In Maine, if you put them on the dash, it is not a DUI.

Or so I've been told.

I was also told that if I was seen driving before 6 a.m., I would spend the weekend in jail.
Old 07-30-15, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Cops keeping the world safe from people selecting music while sitting at a light

I heard a lawyer state this on the radio a couple years ago (this is in Illinois), so it may be outdated, but if you put your car in park while you are using your phone, you are not considered to be driving. So just shift into park at the light, and go to town.
Old 07-30-15, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

Going to town while in park. Confusion all around.
Old 07-30-15, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

For those of you in Marietta, GA :

Police dress up as construction workers to catch distracted drivers

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...tracted/nm8jk/
Old 07-30-15, 09:21 AM

Received 159 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
For those of you in Marietta, GA :

Police dress up as construction workers to catch distracted drivers

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...tracted/nm8jk/
Are we sure this isn't just presaging a Village People reunion tour?
Old 07-30-15, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Are we sure this isn't just presaging a Village People reunion tour?
Old 07-30-15, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,878 Likes on 1,891 Posts

In California, they've started doing this :

Can't say they didn't warn you.
Old 07-30-15, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 607 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd View Post
Ridiculous. Austin just banned using phones while driving, but I'm pretty sure you can check at lights or when not moving.
You may want to check to see how it's written. Just because the car isn't moving doesn't mean you're not driving. "Not driving" can mean car has to be out of a lane and in park.
Old 07-30-15, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
You may want to check to see how it's written. Just because the car isn't moving doesn't mean you're not driving. "Not driving" can mean car has to be out of a lane and in park.
From what I read yesterday, the words "operating a motor vehicle" seem to be key.
Old 07-30-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

I still use an old iPod and I make sure it's out of sight of any other cars when I click through it.
Old 07-30-15, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

You're lucky you didn't get your cash seized. Or shot. That happens in, like, 99.9% of all traffic stops. At least that's what the internet tells me.
Old 07-30-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

Is the OP black because they could be dead right now.
Old 07-30-15, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I already said he let me off with a warning. Isn't that pretty much the same as saying that I'm white?
Old 07-30-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
From https://www.austintexas.gov/handsfree

Drivers may use their device to send messages while at a complete stop.
Well I am going to interpret a complete stop as NOT putting my car in park since I come a complete stop at a stop sign and don't put my car in park. but who knows! It's all subject to change.

That said, the first month this was in effect, I watched a motorcycle cop weave in and out of traffic looking in cars for phone users on I 35. He was causing more distraction than anyone talking on their phones!

And no, I don't think anyone should text and drive.
Old 07-30-15, 02:14 PM

Received 159 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
I already said he let me off with a warning. Isn't that pretty much the same as saying that I'm white?
Is this still America?

Then yes.
Old 07-30-15, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MBoyd View Post
From https://www.austintexas.gov/handsfree

Well I am going to interpret a complete stop as NOT putting my car in park since I come a complete stop at a stop sign and don't put my car in park. but who knows! It's all subject to change.

That said, the first month this was in effect, I watched a motorcycle cop weave in and out of traffic looking in cars for phone users on I 35. He was causing more distraction than anyone talking on their phones!

And no, I don't think anyone should text and drive.
The cop that pulled me over was lane splitting up to the light. He got stuck because the Van next to me was too close. He probably took it out on me.
Old 07-30-15, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,878 Likes on 1,891 Posts

As a physician, I may need to respond to an emergency text. Not text back, but I might need to call the hospital or a patient. How am I supposed to know if a text message is a medical emergency if I'm not allowed to look at it? Am I supposed to pull over and park every time my notification sound goes off? They need to make exceptions for physicians.

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed that the Tesla, for all its impressive tech, lacks the ability to show SMS messages on the screen the way a $99 Pebble watch can. Hopefully that might come in a future update.
Old 07-30-15, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What if you're texting "I'm drunk and need a ride home" while in a parked running car?