Diner owner yells at crying kid

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-29-15, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...he-restaurant/

If you’re Darla Neugebauer, owner of Marcy’s Diner in Portland, Maine, after about 40 minutes of listening to it, you snap.

Ten minutes after giving Tara and John Carson to-go boxes and telling them in no uncertain terms that either they all had to leave, or the baby had to leave, Neugebauer turned to the family from behind the counter, slammed her hands down, looked right at the baby, pointing at her, and shouted, “This needs to stop!”

Twenty-one-month-old Keira did clam up after that, which Neugebauer considers a victory, but mom Tara Carson said her daughter had only been crying for a few minutes and her child was traumatized by Neugebauer.
Now I pretty much know where most people will side. Parents will say how dare anyone yell and my precious child and non parents will say shut that fucking kid up or get out.
Old 07-29-15, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Diner owner yells at crying kid

I'm a parent who says that other parents should shut their kids up or get out. I know I did when I was a parent of an infant/toddler. Its pretty simple to just walk outside and not be selfish. Kids screaming are annoying as fuck and no one has the right to inflict that on others because they are used to it.
Old 07-29-15, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It doesn't take a village to raise a child, it takes responsible, considerate parenting. Letting your child endlessly wail in a public setting (or private business with other patrons) is completely unacceptable.
Old 07-29-15, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Parents will say how dare anyone yell and my precious child -
You're obviously not a parent. Very few of them are actually precious.
Old 07-29-15, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Owner's side. Control your kids. People go out to eat to relax. I could care less if a kid is having a tantrum in the cereal aisle at the grocery store but at a restaurant it's a different story.
Old 07-29-15, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Th0r S1mpson View Post
You're obviously not a parent. Very few of them are actually precious.
Not a parent and I know very few of them are precious but based off of what the patents in the story say they seem to think theirs is. What child that has been sitting at a diner for 40 minutes cries quietly? If a 2 year old is crying it's because they want to be heard not just to quietly cry to themselves.
Old 07-29-15, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
I could care less...
"Could care less" instead of "couldn't care less" is more annoying than any crying baby.
Old 07-29-15, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
"Could care less" instead of "couldn't care less" is more annoying than any crying baby.
And even more annoying...
Old 07-29-15, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just assumed he meant that he could care less. There were things that he cared less about so even though it was low on his caring scale it was not at the bottom.
Old 07-29-15, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Not a parent and I know very few of them are precious
That was a joke.

They are all precious. Red, yellow, black, white...
Old 07-29-15, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I'm a parent who says that other parents should shut their kids up or get out. I know I did when I was a parent of an infant/toddler. Its pretty simple to just walk outside and not be selfish. Kids screaming are annoying as fuck and no one has the right to inflict that on others because they are used to it.

I would walk out too and if I can calm my kid down we might go back inside otherwise not.
Old 07-29-15, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This was all over the news/radio here since it was semi local.

I agree with the owner. No one should have to deal with 40+ min of a screaming kid unless the kid is yours. She was polite about them leaving to tend to their baby before snapping. I don't get parents sometimes...if I had a child who was making that type of scene in public, my first thought would be to leave and take care of it. Not just sit there and eat while my kid is screaming like a banshee.
Old 07-29-15, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I side more with the owner, although she should have yelled at the parents and kicked them out, not the kid. On the other hand, the owner seems like a bitch, and her Facebook post is over the top. Her business, her feelings, her choice, but she should have just booted the family and moved on with her life.

I'm also a parent, and I've removed my child from a restaurant on a couple of occasions very quickly. I had my wife box up the food, and I ate it at home.
Old 07-29-15, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This is in the restaurant server thread, too. The owner shouldn't have yelled at the kid, but I understand she lost it. She should have yelled at the parents. Having 3 kids spread across a wide number of years, I spent more than a decade rarely getting to enjoy a full meal because I was out in the lobby or parking lot entertaining any of them too noisy for civilized company. So I have no sympathy for the parents' approach of "ignore it." If they wanted to let their kid cry at the table, they should have made pancakes at home.
Old 07-29-15, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a parent who would remove my kid if he started crying and expect to be yelled at if I didn't. It's just common courtesy. I think the owner's only mistake was yelling at the kid instead of the parents. An infant or toddler can't control what they do. It's the parents who were assholes and deserved her ire.
Old 07-29-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think once the parents ignored the to go container "suggestion" yelling at the kid was her breaking point.
Old 07-29-15, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Th0r S1mpson View Post
That was a joke.

They are all precious. Red, yellow, black, white...
But not brown? Racist!
Old 07-29-15, 11:20 AM
RIP

Yeah, I don't care where you are or why your child is crying. If your child is crying and disrupting others, it is your responsibility to remove yourselves from the surroundings. If you choose not to, A) you're an asshole, and B) you deserve to be yelled at.
Old 07-29-15, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I could be wrong. But didn't we already have a thread for this?
Old 07-29-15, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lock the parents and the asshole dentist in a room together.
Old 07-29-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The kid was wearing and an Oregon Ducks jersey so the owner had every right to yell at her.
Old 07-29-15, 12:44 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post

It was probably about screaming kids in a movie theater.

I'm not a parent (and glad of it), hearing screaming shrieking kids in public places (especially restaurants and movie theaters) is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, I just want to get away from it or failing that, scream at the clueless fucking parents for not removing the screaming shrieking kid from said public place, that shit has no business in public. Take that little motherfucker home and get a babysitter.

Last edited by kd5; 07-30-15 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-29-15, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I believe it had briefly overtaken the Pet Peeves of Servers thread, before being replaced with Syrup Talk.
Old 07-29-15, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think parents tend to forget that their own ability to tune out their whining or fussy child (which is, I acknowledge, necessary to prevent infanticide in some cases) is not shared with the rest of the public. If you are at home and your kid is fussy or acting out, you have the option to let him or her cry it out and calm down. In public, your first consideration should be for the people around you, who didn't ask to be put in the middle of your little childrearing drama and should not have to listen to your kid whining or having a temper tantrum.

If you're a parent and you don't believe me, then answer this: Are you as indulgent with OTHER PEOPLE'S children who are acting out in public? No? Then that should tell you something.
Old 07-29-15, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shouldn't the waiter/waitress have already collected all the plates with or without permission within the 40 minutes and pushed them out to get the next group of patrons in?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.