Reload this Page >

An American Dentist Killed Zimbabwe’s Famous Lion

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

An American Dentist Killed Zimbabwe’s Famous Lion

Old 07-30-15, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: An American Dentist Killed Zimbabwe’s Famous Lion

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
That is interesting. How would you separate the "trophy hunters" from the Zimbabweans who kill the lions regularly for food and/or protection? Is it a big issue a a Zimbabwean kills a lion because he fears an attack, and then doesn't eat it (if that's a possibility)?

Seems like the residual problem is that he accidently killed a well-known research-project animal.

Also, Zimbabwe is one of the 1-2 poorest countries (they're known for having the trillion dollar bill until just this year). An injection of $50k USD is probably a godsend.
I'm a vegetarian, and have been for years. My wife isn't. Most of my family and friends aren't. I'd be tossing and turning all night if I couldn't accept the fact that people eat meat, so I'm fine people hunting. I actually grew up hunting with my dad, so I lived it for a while.

What is important to me is that when an animal is killed, it's done with dignity and respect. It should be as quick and painless as possible. I believe that every living creature deserves that.
Old 07-30-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
Many hunters of deer and other animals, butcher their kills and either cook it or sell it as food. Not sure what your point is?
The point is he became a vegetarian a year ago so now meat is murder.
Old 07-30-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's like a bunch of random strangers thought this dentist's business was worth killing. Maybe for a reason, maybe just for sport. Now, they're spending time and energy to kill that dental practice. It's such a shame because what harm did the dental practice pose? It's like they're just killing the business just to kill it.

But, then again, I'm no expert on the motivations and lives of these activists, so who knows. Maybe the business did deserve to die so these activists could frame the article citing that the business has now closed on their walls.
Some of the excessive amounts of money the dentist was making from this dental practice was being used to legally and often illegally hunt endangered big game animals. By taking away this income stream, the dentist may be unable to continue his illegal and/or legal killing of endangered animals.
Old 07-30-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah the real takeaway from all this is apparently Dentists make sick fuckin' bank...even ones that live in "Flyover states".
Old 07-30-15, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Big game or trophy hunting is simply it's own category of hunting. And that is what the outrage is about. Why you are consistently trying to conflate it with other activities is simply confusing.

Many people, myself included, aren't angry b/c this man killed an animal. We're angry b/c this man engages in big game hunting and kills animals for no reason other than "personal gratification." There has been no mention/record of this guy doing anything with his kills other than taking douchey photographs with them before mounting them on his walls. Nor has there been any justification beyond "well, it wasn't illegal!" for the practice.

Unfortunate for this one dentist to bear the brunt of the world's anger at the big game hunting industry, but such is the fickle nature of celebrity, intended or otherwise. In an ideal world, I would love to see every big game hunter's lives ruined, but that just doesn't happen.

I think the vegans just like to jump on stories like this to try to mix in the whole meat is murder agenda and pretend to be ignorant about it being different than the situation people are upset about here. Most people can figure out the difference between an animal raised in a controlled environment and out of the normal eco-system and one that is not.

And, as has been said, anyone who enjoys shooting anything for fun is a sick fuck and people have every right to be angry about it and boycott his business and show their disdain at his activities. Some people, like myself, donate a lot of time and money to animal charities to help lend a voice to those that can not speak so emotions run high when there's some moron out there doing this stuff who enjoys hurting animals for fun.

I should add that if this indeed a legal hunt then I don't think any legal action should be taken against him. Hopefully, however, this whole situation will raise awareness about this sort of sport hunting and more action will be taken by countries to clamp down on it. I want none of the typical knee-jerk stupidity however like assuming all dentists are hunters or suddenly declaring that dental flags should be torn down.

Last edited by General Zod; 07-30-15 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-30-15, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Just an aside: where the hell are the anti-bullying activists?
Old 07-30-15, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a level 5 vegan. I won't eat anything that casts a shadow.
Old 07-30-15, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally we get a chance to hear what Ted Nugent thinks.

“The whole story is a lie. It was a wild lion from a ’park’ where hunting is legal & ESSENTIAL beyond the park borders. All animals reproduce every year & would run out of room/food to live w/o hunting. I will write a full piece on this joke asap. God are people stupid.”
http://www.vh1.com/news/43836/ted-nu...xrs=CLASS_12pm

Old 07-30-15, 07:54 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went to my dentist today, and on the monitor, they were playing "The Lion King." We had a good laugh.
Old 07-30-15, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Within a week, I predict this guy's waiting room will be filled with a bunch of Ted Nugent looking motherfuckers as his new patients.
Ted Nugent fans don"'t have teeth.
Old 07-30-15, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

But what about Lion on Lion crime? Can we please address that first?
Old 07-30-15, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I'm a level 5 vegan. I won't eat anything that casts a shadow.
You eat plants? Plants are living things, you monster!

I'm a mineralist, I only eat minerals (rocks).
Old 07-30-15, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post

http://www.vh1.com/news/43836/ted-nu...xrs=CLASS_12pm

Yeah, someone posted that already.
Old 07-30-15, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
He's wrong (as usual). He was in a protected park and lured out. Which is why the "experts" who helped him were formally charged with poaching.

But I always laugh when stupid people call everyone else stupid.. so thanks for that Ted.
Old 07-30-15, 10:57 PM
Suspended

Many hunters of deer and other animals, butcher their kills and either cook it or sell it as food. Not sure what your point is?

Big game or trophy hunting is simply it's own category of hunting. And that is what the outrage is about. Why you are consistently trying to conflate it with other activities is simply confusing.

Many people, myself included, aren't angry b/c this man killed an animal. We're angry b/c this man engages in big game hunting and kills animals for no reason other than "personal gratification." There has been no mention/record of this guy doing anything with his kills other than taking douchey photographs with them before mounting them on his walls. Nor has there been any justification beyond "well, it wasn't illegal!" for the practice.

Unfortunate for this one dentist to bear the brunt of the world's anger at the big game hunting industry, but such is the fickle nature of celebrity, intended or otherwise. In an ideal world, I would love to see every big game hunter's lives ruined, but that just doesn't happen.
I agree. I don't particularly like killing animals, but if a person eats the meat and uses it, I don't have a problem. Indeed, it's the stupid ego of calling oneself a hunter, when everything is controlled, that irritates me.

This guys is a douche with a gun.
Old 07-30-15, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
He's wrong (as usual). He was in a protected park and lured out. Which is why the "experts" who helped him were formally charged with poaching.
Again this is incorrect. Cecil was killed in an area with no lion quota. If he had been lured into an area with a lion quota, there would have been nothing illegal about this kill. See post# 141.
Old 07-30-15, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
You should only be allowed to boycott something, if you have used the service in the past.
That's not quite how free speech works.
Old 07-30-15, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Again this is incorrect. Cecil was killed in an area with no lion quota. If he had been lured into an area with a lion quota, there would have been nothing illegal about this kill. See post# 141.
OK you go ahead and believe whoever Lionaid is.. and I'll believe the government of Zimbabwe who charged these guys with poaching. I mean if it wasn't illegal why were they arrested, charged, and had to post bail?

Last edited by General Zod; 07-31-15 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-31-15, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
You eat plants? Plants are living things, you monster!

I'm a mineralist, I only eat minerals (rocks).
You rock.
Old 07-31-15, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know the origins of the outrage over this story but at this point it is clearly media driven. It was just the lead story on the Today Show and has been one of their top stories for the last several days, even when there was no new information of any substance to report.
Old 07-31-15, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
That's not quite how free speech works.
I know but, if you don't use a product and had no desire to use said product, what good does you boycotting it do? I understand the threat behind it, but I wish people(businesses) would stand up for them self, and respond to the boycott.

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
OK you go ahead and believe whoever Lionaid is.. and I'll believe the government of Zimbabwe who charged these guys with poaching. I mean if it wasn't illegal why were they arrested, charged, and had to post bail?
Because they killed the lion in an area where there was no lion quota, no one is saying that wasn't illegal. However most of the outrage over the baiting, killing a tracked lion, and using a blind is all perfectly legal.

Last edited by Me007gold; 07-31-15 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-31-15, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
Some of the excessive amounts of money the dentist was making from this dental practice was being used to legally and often illegally hunt endangered big game animals. By taking away this income stream, the dentist may be unable to continue his illegal and/or legal killing of endangered animals.
We're on the same page (I'm very pro boycott here). That post was meant to be satirical.
Old 07-31-15, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No reports of this Dentist being killed yet?
Old 07-31-15, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Music View Post
No reports of this Dentist being killed yet?
Yes. But the reports of his death have been greatly exaggerated.
Old 07-31-15, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Looks like Zimbabwe wants him extradited to face charges for killing the lion as well as poaching. U.S. Fish and Wildlife is trying to contact him, but he can't be found even after he stated he would fully cooperate with any investigation.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.