Reload this Page >

An American Dentist Killed Zimbabwe’s Famous Lion

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

An American Dentist Killed Zimbabwe’s Famous Lion

Old 07-30-15, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: An American Dentist Killed Zimbabwe’s Famous Lion

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post

Why do people think a completely unnatural tooth color looks good?
I agree

Old 07-30-15, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Credit to Mike Luckovich
Old 07-30-15, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Just to be honest, this whole mentality of 'this person/company must be destroyed' that instantly comes with these kinds of stories just doesn't sit well with me. Suddenly everyone's an expert on this guy's life, motivations, etc? That's just crazy... just speaking for myself... I don't have the time/energy to get so emotional about stories like this. Yet, I guess people who apparently have nothing better to do can make a trip out to his office, home, write yelp threats... you name it. I find this whole online mob mentality very odd.
Spoiler:
Old 07-30-15, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post

There is a difference. But meat eaters that speak out for animal rights are hypocrites. It's pretty simple concept.
You might want to look into the meaning of hypocrisy.

Someone saying that the killing of an animal for neither food nor population control is senseless does not make them hypocritical if they eat meat.

It's like saying people that occasionally drive over a posted speed limit are hypocrites for being critical of drunk drivers because they also are not following laws designed to protect other drivers.

There is nothing justifiable about big game hunting, it's a joke. Big game hunters should just all gather on one land mass and hunt the most dangerous game...each other.
Old 07-30-15, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-30-15, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Just to be honest, this whole mentality of 'this person/company must be destroyed' that instantly comes with these kinds of stories just doesn't sit well with me. Suddenly everyone's an expert on this guy's life, motivations, etc? That's just crazy... just speaking for myself... I don't have the time/energy to get so emotional about stories like this. Yet, I guess people who apparently have nothing better to do can make a trip out to his office, home, write yelp threats... you name it. I find this whole online mob mentality very odd.

On the plus side, I have learned more about this subject than I otherwise would have - thanks for that informative link Excentris.
When he was a child, he was leaving a theater with his parents who were brutally murdered in front of him by an endangered animal. Since that day he has dedicated his life to two things...dentistry and killing endangered animals for sport. The former only to provide him the means to do the latter.

Dentist Begins.
Old 07-30-15, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I mocked the idea of posting on his Yelp page. But seriously, fuck these people. The internet has given the world of idiots a meeting place. These fucktards had no idea nor interest in Cecil. But they congregate and launch attacks thinking they're clever cheeky activists.
Old 07-30-15, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I mocked the idea of posting on his Yelp page. But seriously, fuck these people. The internet has given the world of idiots a meeting place. These fucktards had no idea nor interest in Cecil. But they congregate and launch attacks thinking they're clever cheeky activists.
Yeah there's some fucktards on the internet that's for sure..
Old 07-30-15, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree to a certain extent. A lot of armchair activists out there. Look at me I'm for lions! On the other hand I wouldn't mind seeing the dentist tossed in a lion cage.
Old 07-30-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I mocked the idea of posting on Lion King's IMDb page. But seriously, fuck these lions. The Sahara has given the world of lions a meeting place. These fucktards had no idea nor interest in being hunted. But they congregate and lounge around thinking they're clever cheeky felines.
Old 07-30-15, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's like a bunch of random strangers thought this dentist's business was worth killing. Maybe for a reason, maybe just for sport. Now, they're spending time and energy to kill that dental practice. It's such a shame because what harm did the dental practice pose? It's like they're just killing the business just to kill it.

But, then again, I'm no expert on the motivations and lives of these activists, so who knows. Maybe the business did deserve to die so these activists could frame the article citing that the business has now closed on their walls.
Old 07-30-15, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it's not even clear what those "activists for the cause of the day" are against exactly.

- Are they protesting big game hunting in general?
- Are they protesting the killing of a "celebrity" lion?
- Are they protesting the manner in which Cecil was killed? The actual big game hunting rules in Zimbabwe?

I'm pretty sure most of these people just got hooked up on the fact that Cecil (who they never heard about previously), was a "celebrity" and don't know squat about big game hunting.
Old 07-30-15, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Yeah, it's not even clear what those "activists for the cause of the day" are against exactly.

- Are they protesting big game hunting in general?
- Are they protesting the killing of a "celebrity" lion?
- Are they protesting the manner in which Cecil was killed? The actual big game hunting rules in Zimbabwe?

I'm pretty sure most of these people just got hooked up on the fact that Cecil (who they never heard about previously), was a "celebrity" and don't know squat about big game hunting.
Not sure if you were responding to my post above your's, but if so, please replace "dental practice" with "lion" or any other big game animal of your choice.
Old 07-30-15, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

US Officials now involved:

http://www.startribune.com/u-s-now-i...ist/320076361/

U.S. wildlife authorities announced an investigation Thursday into the killing of a Cecil, a prized lion in Zimbabwe, and also revealed that they have been unable to contact Dr. Walter Palmer, the Twin Cities big-game hunter and dentist who participated in the fatal hunt.

“The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) is investigating the circumstances surrounding the killing of ‘Cecil the lion,’ ” said Edward Grace, the agency’s deputy chief of law enforcement. “That investigation will take us wherever the facts lead.”

Grace also acknowledged that “at this point in time … multiple efforts to contact Dr. Walter Palmer have been unsuccessful. We ask that Dr. Palmer or his representative contact us immediately.”

The Star Tribune reached Palmer by telephone Wednesday and requested an interview. He said he was “meeting with my team” and declined to say more.

Until this announcement, the USFWS and the U.S. Justice Department had said they would merely be assisting Zimbabwe authorities in their investigation into Cecil’s death.

Palmer, 55, of Eden Prairie, shot and wounded the lion with a bow and arrow on July 1. He was accompanied by a guide and another person, both of whom have been implicated in the kill by law enforcement in Zimbabwe. After tracking led them to Cecil about 40 hours later, the hunting party finished the lion off with a gunshot.

Earlier this week, Palmer issued a statement saying he did not know that the lion that was killed was a protected animal living on a reserve and was part of a research study. Palmer’s statement said he regretted killing Cecil and was only following what he thought were the legal directions of his guide.

The lion lived in Hwange National Park, where it had protected status and was collared as part of a long-term study. He became a favorite among tourists and a point of pride for the southern African nation.

Zimbabwe wildlife officials say the lion was killed after a nighttime pursuit during which the hunters tied a dead animal to their car as bait to lure it out of the national park.

The killing has unleashed a firestorm of outrage that has spanned the globe. Palmer has been forced to halt his dental practice as critics tied up his phone lines, filled his social media account and website with harsh postings and staged a passionate protest outside his Bloomington office.
Old 07-30-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
Not sure if you were responding to my post above your's, but if so, please replace "dental practice" with "lion" or any other big game animal of your choice.
I wasn't responding to anyone specifically, and I talk to myself a lot.
Old 07-30-15, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The lion lived in Hwange National Park, where it had protected status and was collared as part of a long-term study.
I posted this link before, and it seems the above info is not accurate:

1. It is completely legal to bait lions in Zimbabwe – it is standard practice. Cecil was shot with a bow and arrow from a blind. That is also legal. Cecil was shot badly and was only put out of his misery 40 hours later. That is what happens regularly in trophy hunting.

2. Cecil was shot outside a national park in a private hunting concession. That is also legal. It is not illegal to kill radiocollared lions.

3. But Cecil was shot in an area not assigned a lion quota. Supposedly the bait was set for a leopard and then Cecil came along. The professional hunter, Theo Bronkhorst told his client to shoot the lion, and then the hunt became illegal.
http://www.lionaid.org/news/2015/07/...cil-factor.htm
Old 07-30-15, 12:41 PM
Suspended

USA!! USA!! USA!! Even when it clearly has no jurisdiction, we will butt in. USA!! USA!! USA!!
Old 07-30-15, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah it's from gizmodo/gawker, but this article makes a few decent points about how the big dollars these hunters pay can contribute to actually protecting endangered animals.

http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/...tio-1720901473
Old 07-30-15, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Well leaving notes on the door and stuffed animals is pretty hardcore but I guess that's not enough to impress some. To get real respect they should be attacking cops and burning down the city. Then people would know they aren't just internet losers.
Old 07-30-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just came here to say, my dislike for this dentist is the same as for any other lion, rhino, or bear hunter
Old 07-30-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Well leaving notes on the door and stuffed animals is pretty hardcore but I guess that's not enough to impress some. To get real respect they should be attacking big game hunters and burning down the big game hunters' homes. Then people would know they aren't just internet losers.
Fixed.
Old 07-30-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 07-30-15, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
yeah it's from gizmodo/gawker, but this article makes a few decent points about how the big dollars these hunters pay can contribute to actually protecting endangered animals.

http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/...tio-1720901473
And if serial killers gave money to cancer research, they would be looked on in a more positive light
Old 07-30-15, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Only if you feel that wanting to save the rainforest means you must want to save EVERY tree in the world, otherwise you are a hypocrite.
And only if you compare an animal to a tree.
Old 07-30-15, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
You might want to look into the meaning of hypocrisy.

Someone saying that the killing of an animal for neither food nor population control is senseless does not make them hypocritical if they eat meat.
I like how you qualify that - "for food". The problem is that in this country, unless you are an eskimo or like in the Ozarks, you don't need to eat meat. It's a luxury and a choice to willingly kill an animal for personal gratification.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.