Reload this Page >

An American Dentist Killed Zimbabwe’s Famous Lion

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

An American Dentist Killed Zimbabwe’s Famous Lion

Old 07-29-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: An American Dentist Killed Zimbabwe’s Famous Lion

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
This proves my hypothesis that all dentists are murdering sadists.
My dentist is hot as hell so I don't care.
Old 07-29-15, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
Yes, I had no idea lions were so plentiful they were in danger of starving themselves to death through overpopulation.
You would think that lions would quite possibly aid in the reduction of certain populations. You know all that Circle of Life mumbo jumbo.
Old 07-29-15, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm only about 40 minutes from this guys office....should have gone up there for the protests!!
Old 07-29-15, 05:37 PM

There was a time when I thought Ted Nugent was cool. Then I turned 13.
Old 07-29-15, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

RIP Cecil. I feel bad for Benny.

Old 07-29-15, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This has a lot more info:

http://www.lionaid.org/news/2015/07/...cil-factor.htm
Old 07-29-15, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
People who kill wild animals for "sport" are sick fucks. That shit should be banned.
Yep. Pretty much my take on it. I also think they are the biggest pussies on the planet and their "sport" is a complete fucking joke.
Old 07-29-15, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't believe it's actually legal to hunt lions anywhere on planet earth.
Old 07-29-15, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I'm only about 40 minutes from this guys office....should have gone up there for the protests!!
Not sure what I'd do if I was 40 minutes away from his office I'd probably get a restraining order to frame on my wall.
Old 07-29-15, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You know what, this has gotten so much media scrutiny, that I think maybe this guy's hunting career, and maybe even his professional career, are mostly over. Good riddance!
Old 07-29-15, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People who kill wild animals for "sport" are sick fucks. That shit should be banned.
You obviously don't live in an area where deer routinely launch suicide attacks against cars. You can take issue with this kind of safari hunting, but some forms of hunting are necessary to keep wild animal populations under control in areas where humans have driven off all the large predators.

I once saw a video that a relative shot of some Arab billionaires (from Dubai, I think) on "safari" in Africa shooting a giraffe in cold blood and laughing about it. My relative then insisted that they ate the giraffe and my response was that they didn't have to. They could afford to eat whatever they wanted whenever they wanted. They weren't going to starve if they didn't shoot a giraffe. It's not like there was even the "thrill" of the hunt. The poor giraffe was just standing there eating leaves off a tree.

People who eat pork or beef or chicken or fish just want to survive.
I don't see how raising animals in little boxes where they're force fed is actually better than hunting. At least wild animals have a chance to run away.
Old 07-29-15, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
The feel-good outrage around these types of instances gets old. While I don't understand the 'thrill' of sport killing an animal, I certainly view it as no worse on a moral level than eating animal products from a factory farm. And the whole 'well it's fine if they eat it' argument doesn't hold much water in modern civilization. It's bizarre to argue that the morality of killing something depends on whether you enjoy killing it or just like the way its corpse tastes.
The difference is that lions may be in danger of going extinct in the not-too-distant future. Lions are in better shape than tigers though.

Lion Decline Map at NationalGeographic.com

Lions are dying off rapidly across Africa. These cats once ranged across the continent and into Syria, Israel, Iraq, Pakistan, Iran, and even northwest India; 2,000 years ago more than a million lions roamed the Earth. Since the 1940s, when lions numbered an estimated 450,000, lion populations have blinked out across the continent. Now they may total as few as 20,000 animals.
P.S. I am a vegetarian, and I believe factory farms should be banned.
Old 07-29-15, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
...some forms of hunting are necessary to keep wild animal populations under control in areas where humans have driven off all the large predators.
If by "necessary," you mean "most cost-effective population control," then I would agree.
Old 07-29-15, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I can't believe it's actually legal to hunt lions anywhere on planet earth.
According to NBC news, American hunters kill about 800 lions each year, all legally. Really surprised by that figure.
Old 07-29-15, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
You know what, this has gotten so much media scrutiny, that I think maybe this guy's hunting career, and maybe even his professional career, are mostly over. Good riddance!
Just to be honest, this whole mentality of 'this person/company must be destroyed' that instantly comes with these kinds of stories just doesn't sit well with me. Suddenly everyone's an expert on this guy's life, motivations, etc? That's just crazy... just speaking for myself... I don't have the time/energy to get so emotional about stories like this. Yet, I guess people who apparently have nothing better to do can make a trip out to his office, home, write yelp threats... you name it. I find this whole online mob mentality very odd.

On the plus side, I have learned more about this subject than I otherwise would have - thanks for that informative link Excentris.
Old 07-30-15, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Just to be honest, this whole mentality of 'this person/company must be destroyed' that instantly comes with these kinds of stories just doesn't sit well with me. Suddenly everyone's an expert on this guy's life, motivations, etc? That's just crazy... just speaking for myself... I don't have the time/energy to get so emotional about stories like this. Yet, I guess people who apparently have nothing better to do can make a trip out to his office, home, write yelp threats... you name it. I find this whole online mob mentality very odd.
In this case I don't mind as maybe it will cause a few hunters to think twice before going to Africa to kill a Lion, Rhino, leopard, etc.

Humans show some really horrible traits....Klaatu was right in coming here
Old 07-30-15, 07:24 AM

Isn't it about time for someone to call for Teddy Roosevelt to be removed from Mt. Rushmore?
Old 07-30-15, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Ted is so full of shit, and how can he not be?
I thought he put all that shit in his pants to avoid the draft.
Old 07-30-15, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You would expect this kind of behavior from a hilljack but a dentist?

He already had a felony in Wisconsin for killing a black bear.

Is Walter Palmer a fake name and is he really HRG from Heroes?

Old 07-30-15, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yup the passionate outbursts and mob mentality here on DVDtalk about this is just what I expected.

I can't wait for someone here to do something misguided and be hounded for it forever; lose their career, lifestyle etc... especially since NO ONE really knows the whole story yet. I am not defending the guy but what he was doing was "legal" there. Maybe not the one he killed but either way it is big business there. The fact that he was in trouble before for bear hunting does not help his case however.

Calling the killing of animals murder? Wow...that is a stretch.
Old 07-30-15, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the fun part: outrage is not a finite resource. You can actually be concerned about issues both minor and catastrophic. Go figure.
Old 07-30-15, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
The feel-good outrage around these types of instances gets old. While I don't understand the 'thrill' of sport killing an animal, I certainly view it as no worse on a moral level than eating animal products from a factory farm. And the whole 'well it's fine if they eat it' argument doesn't hold much water in modern civilization. It's bizarre to argue that the morality of killing something depends on whether you enjoy killing it or just like the way its corpse tastes.

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
You don't see a moral difference in killing animals to feed 1000s of people, and killing an animal because it gives you a boner?
There is a difference. But meat eaters that speak out for animal rights are hypocrites. It's pretty simple concept.

Last edited by CRM114; 07-30-15 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-30-15, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
You would expect this kind of behavior from a hilljack but a dentist?

He already had a felony in Wisconsin for killing a black bear.

Is Walter Palmer a fake name and is he really HRG from Heroes?

Plus being a bad dentist...those teeth look fake as hell
Old 07-30-15, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If our diets could be transformed so that we got the protein we needed from non-animal sources and we got accustomed to eating that way, I would be happy because it would mean no longer raising cows, pigs, chickens, etc. in horrible conditions just to be slaughtered and processed as food for humans.
If our diets could be transformed? What - something is compelling you to eat meat? Stop eating it today, it's only laziness stopping you.

But I, and most other people, haven't reached that point yet. How do we wean ourselves off of a meat-based diet? Vegans and vegetarians have been able to do it but you have to have a certain (annoying) personality to commit yourself to those kinds of diets. Every vegan/vegetarian I've met is a big pain in the ass about it. I tried vegetarianism for a while, but I was never able to find the right mix of foods to replace meat and the cravings for chicken, pork, burgers, etc. were too strong. I also wasn't a pain in the ass about it, so that may have been a factor as well.
Yes, god forbid a vegetarian asks "is there meat in this?" or "is this made with chicken broth?" or "can you leave out the bacon". It's annoying as fuck.

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Why do people think a completely unnatural tooth color looks good?

Last edited by CRM114; 07-30-15 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-30-15, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post

There is a difference. But meat eaters that speak out for animal rights are hypocrites. It's pretty simple concept.
Only if you feel that wanting to save the rainforest means you must want to save EVERY tree in the world, otherwise you are a hypocrite.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.