Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Converse Redesigns Its Chuck Taylors shoes for First Time Since 1917

Old 07-25-15, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Converse Redesigns Its Chuck Taylor shoes for First Time Since 1917

Who owns or owned a pair?

Nike bought the company in 2003

Converse’s iconic Chuck Taylor sneaker is getting an update. The goal? To finally make them comfortable.

Dubbed “The Converse Chuck II,” this new version will add arch support, cushioned souls and a breathable lining.

The new shoe is set to hit store shelves on July 28 and comes in black, white, red and blue.
http://ktla.com/2015/07/24/converse-...me-since-1917/

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 07-26-15 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-25-15, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Converse Redesigns Its Chuck Taylors shoes for First Time Since 1917

I thought it would be more like this:

Old 07-25-15, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I used to rock Chucks. In fact, I think I have a brand new pair of black and white ones still in a box in the closet. I've been meaning to sell those since I no longer wear Chucks.
Old 07-25-15, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I wore them when I was a kid. But in my late teens I started wearing shoes with arch support.
Old 07-25-15, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's almost been 100 years but Classicman can finally get a pair of new shoes!
Old 07-25-15, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I wore them when I was a kid. But in my late teens I started wearing shoes with arch support.
That's the thing, I suppose Chucks were good enough to cover the "No shirt, No shoes, No service" requirement but as far as any actual support for your feet, be it ankle support or arch support, Chucks are absolutely terrible. You might as well be wearing tree bark on your feet.

Converse' slogan should be: "Chuck Talyors: Providing 100 years worth of flat feet and twisted ankles!"
Old 07-26-15, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I thought it would be more like this:

Phht, that's nothing.

Old 07-26-15, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I've always liked the style but I too stopped wearing them when I got a little older. I'm definitely up for a more comfortable pair.
Old 07-26-15, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a pair a few years ago in Navy and they broke my feet. Never again. However glad they made an updated version that are more comfortable it was greatly needed.
Old 07-26-15, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

More surprising to me, I guess I never realized Nike had bought Converse.
Old 07-26-15, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a black pair that I bought in college (circa 1997ish?) for a Halloween costume. They're still in good shape, because I've only worn them a handful of times since, usually only when something happens to my regular pair of sneakers. I wonder if being pre-Nike makes them worth anything?

I agree that they're not comfortable at all, but some people swear by them.
Old 07-26-15, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm more of a Vans guy. I've tied Chucks in the past but they just don't last long and the soles are painful. I might give these new one a shot though.
Old 07-26-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never liked how Chucks looked, so I didn't know they were so uncomfortable, although it doesn't surprise me. I guess this is good for everyone who does like them.
Old 07-26-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

I heard about this a few days ago, and i'm interested with the new soles. Never thought the originals were comfortable at all so I never wore them.
Old 07-26-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Weird, I find chucks extremely comfortable. I do a lot of standing at work (I have one of those stand up desks) and they are much easier on my feet than any tennis shoes.
Old 07-26-15, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I actually have a few pairs and wear them occasionally. I was wearing them daily for quite a while a couple months ago actually but decided to change things up. They're not the most comfortable shoes by far but I've never had a problem with wearing them.
Old 07-26-15, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I owned about 19 pairs in high school, back in the 80s. I stopped buying them because a) I bought a pair of Doc Marten's 3-holes I wore damn near every day for 8 years, and; b) compared to that, Chucks just don't last very long.

A couple years back, I needed a new pair of tennis shoes and was disgusted at the prices (does Nike even make a pair of shoes that retails for less than $80 these days?) and, most importantly, the design. I want TENNIS SHOES, not some damn SPACE BOOTS! I went to like, 4 stores, and the only shoes they had came in obnoxious colors, looked like something kids would fight over in a John Singleton movie, looked like something NASA designed in the 70s, or were nice Adidas shoes I can't wear because that company has some religious objection to making shoes in wide sizes. I was about ready to give up when I saw a display of Chucks: a classic, timeless design... and they even had some kind of lesser-quality, but much cheaper, "Converse Signature" line. So I bought a pair of the Faux Chucks. The third time I wore the Faux Chucks, the right one developed a huge rip near the eyelets. I emailed Converse customer service, and they apologized and sent me a pair of "real" Chucks. Been rocking them for a year and a half now. They're starting to show some age - the inside has rubbed almost completely off where the back of my heel meets the shoe, and there are cracks in the sole where my feet bend - but I still like 'em. Got a new pair for Christmas that I haven't even taken out of the box yet. I don't care if they're hipster shoes... they're a classic design, and I find them completely comfortable.

Last edited by Rex Fenestrarum; 07-27-15 at 03:09 AM.
Old 07-26-15, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I've had a pair of the classic Chucks for probably around eight years and they're the ones that I wear quite often. Aside from being scuffed up a bit and some of the rubber ripping they've held up quite well. I guess I'm not too rough on shoes though generally.
Old 07-27-15, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
I owned about 19 pairs in high school, back in the 80s. I stopped buying them because a) I bought a pair of Doc Marten's 3-holes I wore damn near every day for 8 years, and; b) compared to that, Chucks just don't last very long.

A couple years back, I needed a new pair of tennis shoes and was disgusted at the prices (does Nike even make a pair of shoes that retails for less than $80 these days?) and, most importantly, the design. I want TENNIS SHOES, not some damn SPACE BOOTS! I went to like, 4 stores, and the only shoes they had came in obnoxious colors, looked like something kids would fight over in a John Singleton movie, looked like something NASA designed in the 70s, or were nice Adidas shoes I can't wear because that company has some religious objection to making shoes in wide sizes. I was about ready to give up when I saw a display of Chucks: a classic, timeless design... and they even had some kind of lesser-quality, but much cheaper, "Converse Signature" line. So I bought a pair of the Faux Chucks. The third time I wore the Faux Chucks, the right one developed a huge rip near the eyelets. I emailed Converse customer service, and they apologized and sent me a pair of "real" Chucks. Been rocking them for a year and a half now. They're starting to show some age - the inside has rubbed almost completely off where the back of my heel meets the shoe, and there are cracks in the sole where my feet bend - but I still like 'em. Got a new pair for Christmas that I haven't even taken out of the box yet. I don't care if they're hipster shoes... they're a classic design, and I find them completely comfortable.
You can create your own Nike shoes over at

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pw/me...puZbrk?ipp=104

Just click on a pair of shoes and you can make them as drab as you want.
Old 07-28-15, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
You can create your own Nike shoes over at

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pw/me...puZbrk?ipp=104

Just click on a pair of shoes and you can make them as drab as you want.
Uhhhhh, yeah. The two cheapest pairs of shoes I see on that page are $115. Many are in the $200-$300 range. No way in hell I'd ever pay that much for any pair of tennis shoes, unless they were made of Krugerrands or something.
Old 07-28-15, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nike.
Old 07-28-15, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've worn low-top chucks as my daily, general shoe for as long as I can remember, at least 15 years. I'd never wear them for jogging or anything else active, but have always thought they were comfortable enough for regular use.
Old 07-28-15, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Uhhhhh, yeah. The two cheapest pairs of shoes I see on that page are $115. Many are in the $200-$300 range. No way in hell I'd ever pay that much for any pair of tennis shoes, unless they were made of Krugerrands or something.
Basic shoes, basic colors, 50 bucks

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/nu.../pgid-10954418

Also, if you're buying Chucks, you're still giving Nike your money.
Old 07-28-15, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I get all my shoes online at Finish Line and I never pay regular price. I currently have 7 pairs of Jordan's that I've bought anywhere from $50-$100. Shoes are always getting clearances out for 30%-60% off.
Old 07-28-15, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For at least 8 years I've been doing the design your own pair of chucks in the slip on style for my everyday run errands sneakers. I do the design your own because my size in chucks (11 1/2) is hard to find in slip ons, they tend to go 11 or 12 in stores, plus i can put my name on them. At least once a year they put the design your own on sale so that's when I get them.

I will try a pair of these, chucks are fine for errands, but if I am going to walk a lot in a day I choose another sneaker.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.