Reload this Page >

Educate me on Window AC units

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-23-15, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom's place has had a crappy Window AC unit for a while. She's old school Mexican so it's ok by her standards. Not so much for me. I'm seriously thinking about getting her a whole central AC system at her place but again... she's old school Mexican. Stubborn woman who can take a lot. Price difference be damned but I'm all about getting cool air going all over by vent but she is perfectly fine w/ a window AC.

I don't mind getting her that window AC but how good are those? My instinct is that they suck cuz I dunno.

I guess what I'm asking is what are the pros and cons for a Window AC unit?
Old 07-23-15, 03:41 PM
Suspended

Re: Educate me on Window AC units

Fucking if your mom currently has a fucking window unit, there is no fucking way she'd agree to go central air even if you fucking pay for it. The electric bill will be fucking 3 times as bigger with central air. If she's just fucking stays in one room majority of her fucking time, window fucking AC will do just fucking fine.

Besides, fucking central air will run you $3k to $5k minimum including installation, fucking easy.
Old 07-23-15, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 07-23-15, 03:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
My instinct is that they suck cuz I dunno.
That's deep, bro.

old school Mexican

Also, impressive that you managed to type a moderately lengthy post without a single f-bomb. What happened to you, Snake? Where's old school Snake?
Old 07-23-15, 04:04 PM
Banned

Stressed as fuck cuz he's having to financially take care of his mother. I have the money to take care of her but it's not something I really want to do. I kind of want to do the central air, the money isn't the issue. But she's totally fine w/ the window AC units. I honestly don't even know how good those things are.
Old 07-23-15, 04:07 PM
Suspended

This is one of those fuck things, where you thought you were doing your parents a fucking favor until they see the electric bills and freak the fuck out on why in the fucking earth would you get them something they never fucking wanted in the first place, it's wasteful by their fucking definition and all of the sudden you're an ungrateful fucking son because this is all you guys ever fucking argue about. Personal experience.

Just get her the window unit and call it good. It isn't that bad.
Old 07-23-15, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, if she's ok with a window unit, than get her a window unit. How big is her place? Small appt? House? Mansion? Castle?

Here:

http://window-air-conditioners-revie...enreviews.com/
Old 07-23-15, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Surprised that she'd cover up a possible escape route.
Old 07-23-15, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Yeah, if she's ok with a window unit, than get her a window unit. How big is her place? Small appt? House? Mansion? Castle?
She's "Old school Mexican" so I'm thinking adobe hut with a few chickens running around out front.
Old 07-23-15, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How many rooms? If there's a bedroom and living room at least get one unit for each.
Old 07-23-15, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I use one and as long as the room is small, you're good. They are good for 1 room and that's it. I dont care how big it is ... until you start adding fans to help the flow of air.
I have 1 fan in front of it to blow into living room. I have another fan in hallway to cool it down and the bedrooms. But that's almost a waste as the unit is not large enough to even attempt at cooling off the whole house even with fans. It gets a little cooler I guess but since we are mainly in living room, why bother with the rest of the place.

My suggestion is just get one for her living room and if her room is hot get a small one for the that.
I live in a house built in 1946 and the plaster walls hold heat like a fuckin oven. I can cool off living room just fine but I close off all the doors to hallways and kitchen.
It's a 10,000BTU unit by LG designed to cool a room of approximately 450 square feet (18 x 25 feet)
About $300
Old 07-23-15, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
My mom's place has had a crappy Window AC unit for a while. She's old school Mexican so it's ok by her standards. Not so much for me. I'm seriously thinking about getting her a whole central AC system at her place but again... she's old school Mexican. Stubborn woman who can take a lot. Price difference be damned but I'm all about getting cool air going all over by vent but she is perfectly fine w/ a window AC.

I don't mind getting her that window AC but how good are those? My instinct is that they suck cuz I dunno.

I guess what I'm asking is what are the pros and cons for a Window AC unit?
Central? Uy si, uy si. Just get a brand new Window Unit. My mom's pad has two of those window AC's and most often than not they need the filters washed/replaced.

Central air? Psssshhhhh.
Old 07-23-15, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

First -- I thought Solid Snake is black, not Mexican ...

Second -- you should just steal a new AC for her ...

Third -- what VHS said. People think trying to cool a whole house off a window AC is being energy efficient (same with heating off of a space heater). These are small units made for small spaces. Trying to cool/heat a large area off of these is asinine. Think about trying to cook your supper using just matches.

Fourth -- if she is old school Mexican, why does she need AC?
Old 07-25-15, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 07-25-15, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Get her the most high-powered window unit you can get.

Calculate the square footage of the area needing to be cooled and find the best store in the area for this kind of product and talk to the salespeople to find out what the best unit for such an area would be. It's pretty simple.
Old 07-26-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knowing what all she is trying to cool is key. If it's just a bedroom or living room, no problem. If it's an entire house, a window unit wouldn't work too well. There are portable units on wheels that might work. I've used one, and it was successful at cooling a single room as needed.

Another option would be a swamp cooler, as you can guide the cooler air through the house. Although, if you're in Texas, a swamp cooler probably wouldn't work.