Reload this Page >

Riding Elevators Is Hard

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Riding Elevators Is Hard

Old 07-22-15, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Riding Elevators Is Hard

I work with some of the brightest people on the planet, but sometimes I get befuddled by how stupid they (or our visitors) sometimes behave. Just 10 minutes ago, someone riding the elevator acted surprised when, after pressing the "2" button, found themselves on the 2nd floor where I work.

This happens once or twice a week, people. I shit you not. The elevator "dings", the door opens, and someone inside can be heard to say, "Oh! This isn't where I wanted to go!" Or better yet, it opens, and the person inside hurriedly pushes another button to make the doors close before anyone here notices.

I put this label on the elevator button panel:

I hope it helps.
Old 07-22-15, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Riding Elevators Is Hard

I love when people waiting for the elevator IMMEDIATELY try to jump on the elevator as soon as the doors open before anyone has a chance to get off. They act so surprised that someone else is actually on the elevator before them and then there's the awkward dance to shuffle passed them.

Elevator etiquette assholes! Wait until people exit the elevator before trying to load your fat ass on!
Old 07-22-15, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
I work with some of the brightest people on the planet
I always thought you lived in Cincinnati.
Old 07-22-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My building has C floor, PL*, and 1, 2, and so on. C is for garage which makes no sense I just tell visitors that get on and are confused that it stands for "car". It never fails that someone will get on the elevator and gets a confused look on their faces and hits 1 thinking it will take them to the lobby. I get that the PL can be confusing but it has the "*" next to it which is generally the universal elevator signal for lobby.
Old 07-22-15, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ground level and lower level is usually what confuses people.
Old 07-22-15, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The office building I use re-did all the elevators. You select your floor from a touchscreen (either in the lobby and each floor by the elevator bank) and then it tells you which elevator to get on. No buttons to push on the inside of the car.

They called it "Destination Dispatch" and issued 5 page pamphlets on how to use!!!!
And still some people don't use the touchscreen and just get on a random elevator. Funny stuff...
Old 07-22-15, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
Nope, Indiana.
Old 07-22-15, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My cube sits nearest to the elevator and the primary stairwell so I get exposed to all sorts of traffic and distraction and visitors, etc.. Just last week, a visitor interrupted me to ask if this was the second floor.

Not kidding. Can't make this shit up.

I've decided I'm going to post a sign next to my Cube and direct people there before they ask me anything:

WELCOME TO THE 2ND FLOOR INFORMATION KIOSK

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions:
  1. This is the 2nd Floor
  2. The 2nd Floor Conference Room is down the hall, on your right. Beneath the large sign hanging from the ceiling that says "2nd Floor Conference Room"
  3. Conference Rooms that are named anything other than "2nd Floor Conference Room" are located elsewhere:
    • They are upstairs.
    • Because this is the 2nd Floor
    • The only Conference Room on this floor is called... well, see #1 and #2
  4. The Lab is behind the big wooden double door at the end of the other aisle
  5. Joe is either hiding inside Room 218 or at his desk upstairs. I recommend banging on the door loudly for several minutes to see if he's inside.
  6. I would be happy to help you find "so-and-so". We really should put names on these cubes to help visitors. Oh, wait....
  7. The offices are behind you around that corner. They are the ones that have doors.
  8. That gray sliding door over there is the elevator. See the UP/DOWN buttons next to it?
  9. Sorry, I am not in charge of printer supplies.
  10. Sorry, I am not in charge of the fax machine either.
Then all I have to do it tell them what number to look at.
Old 07-22-15, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't get it, why are the people so confused? It's not that they get on the elevator and someone from the second floor summons the elevator, so they're not expecting the stop?
Old 07-22-15, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
My building has C floor, PL*, and 1, 2, and so on. C is for garage which makes no sense I just tell visitors that get on and are confused that it stands for "car". It never fails that someone will get on the elevator and gets a confused look on their faces and hits 1 thinking it will take them to the lobby. I get that the PL can be confusing but it has the "*" next to it which is generally the universal elevator signal for lobby.
Neil DeGrasse Tyson has a bit on floors below "1" that he gives in some of his speeches. Most other countries use -1, -2, etc., but Amercians can't seem to grasp the concept of negative numbers, so we use letters and groups of letters. Neil uses this as an example of why we suck at math.
Old 07-22-15, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sometimes our elevators stop at random floors without the button being pushed. It's an odd feeling to get off on the wrong floor without realizing it at first. It's like you're in some parallel universe where everything is the same but different. Sometimes I see people doing this & just let them go knowing they will get to experience this.

The people I don't get though are the people wanting to go down who hop on an upward traveling elevator. Maybe they just want to go for a ride?
Old 07-22-15, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W View Post
The people I don't get though are the people wanting to go down who hop on an upward traveling elevator. Maybe they just want to go for a ride?
Sometimes in places where elevators are super crowded (or if everyone gets off work or goes to lunch at the same time or something), it's easier to jump on an elevator going up and secure a place than to wait for it coming down and risk it being full. At least, that's my rationale.
Old 07-22-15, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Elevator? Hard?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h3Yrhv33Zb8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-22-15, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

its not that hard.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VY2ginwrix4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-22-15, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
I work with some of the brightest people on the planet
Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
I live in Cincinnati.

Hey, wait a minute.
Old 07-22-15, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I live in a 7 story apt building. I can't even tell you how many times I've wanted to kill one of these idiots over an elevator issue.
Old 07-22-15, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I don't get it, why are the people so confused? It's not that they get on the elevator and someone from the second floor summons the elevator, so they're not expecting the stop?
I don't get it either. Maybe they don't pay attention and think the 'door close' button is the 1st floor and think the 2nd floor button is the 3rd floor? It really makes no sense why this would happen so frequently.
Old 07-22-15, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ugaQIVglLak" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-22-15, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

These issues will all be fixed when Happy Vertical People Transporters are invented.
Old 07-22-15, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It can be very hard indeed.

Last edited by broadwayblue; 07-22-15 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-22-15, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
I live in a 7 story apt building. I can't even tell you how many times I've wanted to kill one of these idiots over an elevator issue.
I live on the top floor of my building. At least once a month as I'm taking the elevator up from the lobby it stops at another floor and someone gets on. Why this person thought it was a good idea to press the up button instead of, or in addition to, the down button I'll never understand.
Old 07-22-15, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly! Every one of these chuckleheads is getting onboard, pressing "2", and then acting surprised when the elevator took them to the floor they told it to take them to. I mean, its pretty much understood how it works.

I have a bell on my desk. One of the mechanical push button kind you see on counters in businesses. Whenever I see it happen, I slap the button to make the bell ring. Occasionally I don't notice it happening but a neighbor will let me know... they'll say, " Ken! Ding!" and I comply. Its depressing how many times it happens., but most of the folks on the 2nd Floor know the story by now, its become a running joke.
Old 07-22-15, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read the title as Riding Elevators Hard.
Old 07-23-15, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I love when people waiting for the elevator IMMEDIATELY try to jump on the elevator as soon as the doors open before anyone has a chance to get off. They act so surprised that someone else is actually on the elevator before them and then there's the awkward dance to shuffle passed them.

Elevator etiquette assholes! Wait until people exit the elevator before trying to load your fat ass on!
Or when they bum rush everyone just to get in, then you continue to go up. And then there's that pause for a moment when that person looks up then says "I thought we were going down?!"

No asshole, we're not. We're still going up. Next time, attempt to look at the elevator signal. This happens to me about once a week or so. And usually it's the same idiots on the IT floor.
Old 07-23-15, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sometimes in places where elevators are super crowded (or if everyone gets off work or goes to lunch at the same time or something), it's easier to jump on an elevator going up and secure a place than to wait for it coming down and risk it being full. At least, that's my rationale.
Yup. 15 story office building with slow elevators. During morning or lunch rush it sometimes makes more sense to ride up to get down.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.