Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The calls are coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE!!!1!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-15-15, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I still have a landline at home. No cell phone. Due to the constant barrage of telemarketer calls (phone ringing again right now!!) that I get every day (and yes, I'm on the "Do Not Call" registry, for all the good that does!), I stopped answering the phone altogether; instead letting any valid calls go to voice mail and responding then, if needed. I get maybe two valid calls a month, so it's not like I'm ignoring anyone, and it keeps me from yelling at the telemarketers.

I am able to view the call records through AT&T's website, and have blocked the persistent callers from time to time. Often, the caller's number will be listed as "1" or "1-136". I'm surprised the phone company allows these calls to go through. I know some telemarketers spoof their numbers, but I'm now getting calls from ... MYSELF! It shows my name and my number as the caller. I'm pretty sure it wasn't me. But ... is that supposed to get me to answer? "Hey, it looks I'm calling! I better pick up!"

Do cell phones get a lot of telemarketer calls? If not, why? If so, how do you deal with it? For you remaining landline otters, is it a problem?
Old 07-15-15, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The calls are coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE!!!1!

I like my deaf plan with Sprint. Any voice call to my cell phone are blocked - no way for anyone to call me. It's part of Sprint deaf plan.

When I was forced to switch to Verizon from Sprint, I kept getting voice call (I can assume telemarketers). I was happy when I switched back to Sprint.
Old 07-15-15, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I get a few on my cell (my only phone). In fact, one woke me up today. They seem to come in spurts, like I'll not get any for a few weeks, then get several in one day. I assume the different numbers coming in each spurt (heh heh) are all from the same company, though they are different numbers and locations. I add them to my phone's "auto-reject" list.
Old 07-15-15, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You need to learn from Tom Mabe in dealing with these asses.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-7OgWcwgB50" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-15-15, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk God

I get very few on my cell phone. When they come in, I just hang up and add them to the block list.
Old 07-15-15, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hear you. I use Ooma and it's not that bad. They have an in-house blacklist, plus nomorobo integration, in addition to excellent personal blacklist support (including wildcard support for mass blocking). But I still don't understand why they let completely invalid numbers through.

Last edited by wmansir; 07-15-15 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-15-15, 08:11 PM
Banned

I never even bother to answer the phone if I don't recognize the number. I figure if it is actually something important they can leave a message.
Old 07-15-15, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
I never even bother to answer the phone if I don't recognize the number. I figure if it is actually something important they can leave a message.
This. I had to go through a 40 minute thing where someone asked me about a whole bunch of stupid stuff for a survey. Never again. Fool me once.
Old 07-15-15, 09:12 PM

Check out https://www.nomorobo.com
It won the ftc "challenge" to stop telemarketers and it's free. I love it because at most it rings once, then stops, so I know if there are 2 rings, I should answer. Haven't had 1 telemarketing call slip through in 6 months.
Old 07-15-15, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, I don't pick up the phone, cell or landline, if I don't recognize the number (and want to talk to that person).
Old 07-15-15, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I kept the landline until a year ago. I really liked having an antique phone with a bell.

But like you, we got multiple spam calls a day. I figure that if Qwest was really interested in keeping my business, they would figure out a way to block them.

I disconnected the landline, and the CSR didn't even try to talk me out of it.

Now I have a cheap pre-paid phone service. All I need it for is voice and text. I get a couple spam calls on my cell per month. The most recent one was 10 days ago. I'm spending less money and getting fewer junk calls.
Old 07-15-15, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Still have a land-line because we have a hardwired alarm system. Too cheap to get it changed out. We get a fuck ton of spam calls. Cox has a blacklist but it is only like 30 numbers. Worthless. I actually considered buying one else of those call blockers.

Originally Posted by your momma View Post
Check out https://www.nomorobo.com
It won the ftc "challenge" to stop telemarketers and it's free. I love it because at most it rings once, then stops, so I know if there are 2 rings, I should answer. Haven't had 1 telemarketing call slip through in 6 months.
I researched this a while ago, but unfortunately, Cox is not listed as a provider. Sucks, because I'd be all in for it.
Old 07-16-15, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I very rarely get them on my cell, even less since I changed my number.

I had occasion to call Charter for a cable package upgrade not too long ago and twice the rep tried to sell me a landline. I don't own a business and I'm under 60, I don't need a damn landline.
Old 07-16-15, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I gave up my cable TV through Charter last August because there were no deals. I'm very happy with Netflix, VUDU and Amazon...and my bill is in the 50-60 range instead of 150+.

Every 2 months like clockwork Charter calls and tries to sell me on their package deals. No way. Especially since they couldn't come up with a deal when I was a customer.

I haven't had a landline in 10+ years.

Just yesterday I got one of my first telemarketing calls in the last 6 months or so. So I get very few.

It was a breast cancer medication group. Wanted money for women who couldn't afford their medication. She wouldn't tell me how they got my number...ugh. Oh well...I told her to put me on their Do Not Call list and she got a bit pissy with me. Screw 'em.

XM Radio is one of the worst. If you have a XM Radio subscription be prepared for robo calls and spam snail mail for auto warranties. They sell your number to everyone.
Old 07-16-15, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots on my landline, so far none on my cell (which I hardly use).

I had calls like that once that managed to get Caller I.D. to list my own phone as the caller!

Latest horrible thing is I've got a recorded call coming in once a day from a lawyer's office claiming to be about a debt collection and giving a number to call. I don't owe anybody anything, so I won't respond, but it's a pain in the ass. I googled the lawyer, Maury Cobb, and apparently that office calls hundreds of numbers a day, often about debts that have nothing to do with the person they're calling. How do you stop that?
Old 07-16-15, 06:51 AM
Banned

Hi, Yes you are absolutely right I am also thinking like you. Put your cell phone on DND.
Old 07-16-15, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone know what the person on the other end hears if I hit Decline?
Old 07-16-15, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Anyone know what the person on the other end hears if I hit Decline?
There are two ways to ignore. If you hit the "silence" button (which is usually the down volume button on the side, that depends on your phone though) the call will continue to ring until the VM hits.

The decline button will immediately end the call and send the caller to VM. If you hit the decline button, the caller most likely knows that you did so.
Old 07-16-15, 12:00 PM

I don't have a landline and use a prepaid T-Mobile cell phone. For the past couple of months I've been trying out the CallControl app. For now I'm using the free version but it helps with solicitation calls. Heck, I pretty much have it set up that of the caller isn't in my contacts it blocks the call. I admit I occasionally miss calls that I want to receive but then I can add them to contacts and call them back.
Old 07-16-15, 12:01 PM
RIP

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
This. I had to go through a 40 minute thing where someone asked me about a whole bunch of stupid stuff for a survey. Never again. Fool me once.
Why didn't you just hang up?
Old 07-16-15, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
Why didn't you just hang up?
Because I'm too damn polite.
Old 07-16-15, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
There are two ways to ignore. If you hit the "silence" button (which is usually the down volume button on the side, that depends on your phone though) the call will continue to ring until the VM hits.

The decline button will immediately end the call and send the caller to VM. If you hit the decline button, the caller most likely knows that you did so.
I hope I didn't hurt Raji in New Delhi's feelings.
Old 07-16-15, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
Because I'm too damn polite.
You have to get over that--for your own peace of mind.

Anyone who calls you unsolicited--and then takes up your time--deserves neither a shred of courtesy nor a shred of respect.
Old 07-16-15, 08:40 PM
Banned

Bothers me like crazy when I see some company calls my cell and they've no reason to call me. If I had a landline... I could understand how that could be easier to find me but my cell? Like a goddamn violation of my privacy. I get all fucking paranoid.
Old 07-16-15, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
You have to get over that--for your own peace of mind.

Anyone who calls you unsolicited--and then takes up your time--deserves neither a shred of courtesy nor a shred of respect.
I don't know, I mean, it's her job. She may have had kids to feed. I have to lie through my teeth to people all day about things to make ends meet and make sure they're happy. I have no guilt whatsoever about hanging up on a machine, but a person? People at work are frequently angry about the state of affairs and are taking it out on me, I just wouldn't want to do that with someone else.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.