Other Talk "Otterville"

What toys do you collect?

Old 07-14-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
What toys do you collect?

I have:
8" space shuttle
7" back to the future car 1/24 scale, doors even open.
4" Hot Wheels Millennium Falcon.
4" Jurassic Park 1/32 Jeep and Mercedes 4x4.
5-pack of Jurassic Park 1/64 hot wheels vehicles.

I will get the 1/24 1989 batmobile one day. Would love to get the big-ass Hasbro Millennium Falcon someday.

I'm not really into action figures but have the Star Wars OT and PT sets, which were gifts. The Vader one is great.

They're usually in a box in the closet but I often show off the BTTF car and RC JP jeep and the space shuttle. .
Old 07-14-15, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What toys do you collect?

I've been into the Funko Pop vinyl figures for a while now, but also a select group of Hot Toys and Sideshow items (patiently waiting for a Drax from Hot Toys to finish the Guardians of the Galaxy set)

Have a Pinhead PF on order ,and awaiting the release of the new Jason PF
Old 07-14-15, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I collect R2D2s, see my avatar, I am always on the look for them.
Old 07-14-15, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I collect turkey vultures. Not a huge collection since I don't want the halloween/ scary depictions, but I buy them when I can. I have about 3 things so far (had 4, but managed to break a plastic toy). Kind of a self limiting collection since I don't see them ever becoming the new dolphin or unicorn.
Old 07-14-15, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a three Sideshow figures, Yoda, R2D2 and Snake Plissken and the Hot Toys Robocop and battle damaged T-800 Terminator which both look amazing. My favorites are the Hot Toys 1966 Batman and Robin. Other than those I collect the 6 inch Star Wars black series line of just the ones I like. Some are great looking and some are awful. Just got the Luke and Han Stormtroopers in the Black Series and they look great on the shelf with the Chewie.

I still have pieces of the toys that I grew up with in the 1980's in the attic in trunks. I have a destructive little brother who thought the ships would fly if he threw them hard enough.

Last edited by stvn1974; 07-14-15 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-14-15, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I collect action figures from 80's-90's. Star Wars, Remco Monsters, Ghostbusters, anything movie related and whatever else catches my eye.
Old 07-14-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-14-15, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Getting a few Funko Pops here and there, but most I don't collect toys anymore. They take up too much room. I do have a few older gems like the first Batman Batmobile and BatJet from the first animated series. But mostly it's all just the same stuff everyone else collected in the '90s that is almost worthless now.
Old 07-14-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 157 Likes on 113 Posts

Lots of stuff:

8" & 12" Mego action figures, my main passion (Superheroes, Star Trek, Planet of the Apes, Black Hole, KISS, Buck Rogers, etc)

Shogun Warriors

Star Wars (mostly toys related to the first film that were sold in 1978 and 79, included foreign released items)

Godzilla and other Toho kaiju toys

Toys related to Alien (1979) and King Kong (1976)

Monster toys

Plus other assorted stuff, mostly 70's action figure related
Old 07-14-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I divested about 6 or 7 years ago. I've held onto some of my SW stuff and assorted movie toys, but don't really buy anything anymore. Considering dumping the rest (except maybe for my old Action Fleets) and switching to collectible statuettes.
Old 07-14-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 157 Likes on 113 Posts

Here's some favourite items in my collection (some of these photos are old and out of date, there's been additions since)

Old 07-14-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
I collect turkey vultures. Not a huge collection since I don't want the halloween/ scary depictions, but I buy them when I can. I have about 3 things so far (had 4, but managed to break a plastic toy). Kind of a self limiting collection since I don't see them ever becoming the new dolphin or unicorn.
Even harder for you, since I do the same thing and am trying to corner the market.
Old 07-14-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Boy, Val Kilmer's really let himself go. Must be from all the probing.
Old 07-14-15, 01:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1:18, 1:24 Diecast Movie cars. Still waiting on Bandit 1 and The Bluemobile to get here. Hotwheels Elite BD5 should be coming out soon, wait to pick it up

Old 07-14-15, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I collected Funko from the start, used to have 1 of pretty much everything, including the only known existing prototype of Freddy Funko, their mascot figure that was given away to Fun Klub members (signed by both the original owner and the current owner). I'm in their collector's Hall of Fame, IIRC I was the 7th person inducted, used to work their booth at SDCC. Got out when they started acquiring the bigger licenses, Disney, Marvel (before Disney owned Marvel), Star Wars (before Disney owned Star Wars), DC, Simpsons, I already had the biggest room in our house filled, floor to ceiling, knew there was no way I could keep up. Still have my 7 ft Wally Gator bobblehead.
Old 07-14-15, 01:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Old 07-14-15, 01:24 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I wouldn't call it collecting, but I used to have a large Micronauts collection and hope to replace/build on it someday.
Old 07-14-15, 01:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a bunch of sports memorabilia in my home office (bobbleheads, McFarlanes, that kind of stuff). Girlfriend is big into Disney, so we have a ton of Disney stuffed animals.

I have my individual boxes of GI Joe, TMNT, and WWF Hasbro wrestling figures hidden away also.
Old 07-14-15, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a small group of Marvel Funko Pops on my desk at work. Five to be exact. I might get one or two more, but any more than that would be too tacky (if it isn't already) and I don't have anywhere to put them at home.

I have a large collection of nearly worthless 90's era Star Wars toys, and various random comic book and wrestling based figures, which are all in storage bins, and I'm probably going to be looking to unload them soon. Nowhere to put them. Hoping the new movie gives the values a slight boost, but really I just want the space back.
Old 07-14-15, 02:45 PM

I am currently invested in collecting LEGO sets. I tend not to build the models I buy, rather parting and sorting out the pieces, while selling off the more valuable minifigures to help finance the collection. I've made three MOC (my own creations) thus far, and looking for inspiration to do more.

I am retired from collecting:

Toy Biz Marvel / X-Men
Kenner Batman / Superman
Hasbro Star Wars
Hasbro Transformers
Mattel Hot Wheels
...and many, many other random toys that I have been buying over the past 20 years.

I used to have a full-blown toy room at my old home (seen below). I moved this past winter and sold off some of the toys, while most of the rest are still in boxes. I do have a dedicated LEGO room for storing unopened sets and my sorted parts.

My old room:

Spoiled for length...
Spoiler:

Last edited by Lord Zarak; 07-14-15 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-14-15, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-14-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
1:18, 1:24 Diecast Movie cars. Still waiting on Bandit 1 and The Bluemobile to get here. Hotwheels Elite BD5 should be coming out soon, wait to pick it up
I use to collect back in the 90's. Mostly 1:18 Porsches and Ferraris. I stopped when the higher end manufacturers started charging over $100 per car. I still have my collection in boxes. Mostly high end UT and Autoart brands. The UT cars have gone up in value over the years since the company went under and was bought out by Autoart.
Old 07-14-15, 03:21 PM

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I went through a big-time Marvel Legends phase about a decade ago. It probably lasted a good 2 or 3 years, but I then I got engaged and priorities changed. I've been selling off most of my figures over the last couple of years and I was pretty stunned at how valuable some of them were/are. And I'm talking loose. Not even in the package. They're probably the only thing I ever collected that went up in value. I never got into the hobby to make money. I just thought they were awesome figures.
Old 07-14-15, 03:26 PM

It was so disappointing to see what happened to the Marvel Legends line when Hasbro took over the license. Now, I will say that the revamped Legends line that started a year or so ago completely blows the old Legends away, but I cannot justify the $20 retail price.
Old 07-14-15, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 133 Likes on 119 Posts

A Funko POP figure every once in a while.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.