Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the cheapest way I can buy a phone for texting only?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-02-15, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to be able to text for a month or so on a secondary cheapo flip phone. What is the best way to do this without a plan?
Old 07-02-15, 08:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: What's the cheapest way I can buy a phone for texting only?

One of those no contract companies like Virgin or Boost.
Old 07-02-15, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
I just want to be able to text for a month or so on a secondary cheapo flip phone. What is the best way to do this without a plan?
Do you own an Ipod Touch/ipad and are the people you plan to text own an apple device? If yes to both you don't have to pay anything with the imessage system.
Old 07-02-15, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 07-02-15, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

mhg, I have an iPad but my friend does not. I mainly intend to use this for a prank on a friend, so I'll only need like 100 messages on the cheapest device.
Old 07-02-15, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

get a cheap trac phone
Old 07-02-15, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cheap tracphone and get a $20 card every three months.
Old 07-03-15, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
mhg, I have an iPad but my friend does not. I mainly intend to use this for a prank on a friend, so I'll only need like 100 messages on the cheapest device.
This sounds like it could be fun. Keep us up to date.
Old 07-03-15, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds like an affair to me ... Do you know Mabuse's wife?

Do you need it to be on its own phone specifically? If not, just get a Google Voice number.
Old 07-03-15, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tracfone. I don't know if anything's changed: I was a customer for a few years when my finances were in the crapper, but this was several years ago. Buy the phone at Walmart (they sometimes have sales where you can get a cheap handset for $7.99 or whatever). Like this Samsung phone for $9.88 with "Double Minutes for Life". Then buy a 60 minute card for $20. Tracfone uses the terms "minutes" and "points" interchangeably, because each text you send or receive costs .3 points (or, if you prefer, you get 3 texts per point\minute). If you get a phone with Double Minutes, you'd get double the minutes for the life of the phone, so 120 minutes (360 texts) for $20. Every Tracfone card gives you x minutes\points and 90 days to use them. If you want to extend your service, just buy a new card: 90 days will be added from your previous expiration date. So if you bought four 60 minute cards and activated them one after the other, you'd have almost a year's worth of service (90 days x 4 cards = 360 days).

For dirt cheap cell service, Tracfone is the way to go. I have some friends who moved overseas. They often come back to the US on vacation, and we go to Disney or Vegas with them once a year or so. We got them a cheap Tracfone so we can keep in touch. It's perfect for that.
Old 07-03-15, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I had my phone stolen and needed an immediate replacement while I worked on Plan B.

A Boost phone got me enough minutes and text to stay in touch for the week I was sans phone, and it cost me maybe $20 total, including the phone.
Old 07-03-15, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steal someone's cell phone.
Old 07-03-15, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
Tracfone. I don't know if anything's changed: I was a customer for a few years when my finances were in the crapper, but this was several years ago. Buy the phone at Walmart (they sometimes have sales where you can get a cheap handset for $7.99 or whatever). Like this Samsung phone for $9.88 with "Double Minutes for Life". Then buy a 60 minute card for $20. Tracfone uses the terms "minutes" and "points" interchangeably, because each text you send or receive costs .3 points (or, if you prefer, you get 3 texts per point\minute). If you get a phone with Double Minutes, you'd get double the minutes for the life of the phone, so 120 minutes (360 texts) for $20. Every Tracfone card gives you x minutes\points and 90 days to use them. If you want to extend your service, just buy a new card: 90 days will be added from your previous expiration date. So if you bought four 60 minute cards and activated them one after the other, you'd have almost a year's worth of service (90 days x 4 cards = 360 days).

For dirt cheap cell service, Tracfone is the way to go. I have some friends who moved overseas. They often come back to the US on vacation, and we go to Disney or Vegas with them once a year or so. We got them a cheap Tracfone so we can keep in touch. It's perfect for that.
FYI, if you don't think that will be enough txts you can get a 1000 txt only card at tracfone.com for $10, but it doesn't include airtime/service days so it cannot be used to activate a new phone. You can add a $10 30 minute card for that, but it only adds 30 service days instead of 90 for the $20 cards.

Also, for more long term usage, tracfone.com has a 365 day service days addon you can add to any order for $50. If you are a low minutes user and have a bunch built up due to adding minute cards just for service days then you can add it to a $10 30 minute card purchase and for $60 plus tax have service for the next year using your built up minutes. I do this for my mom because her phone basically for emergency's on the road only and she rarely uses it.
Old 07-03-15, 12:29 PM

RingPlus is your answer. They offer 200 minutes/50 texts for free every month, and you can pay any overages at 2 cents per (so a whole dollar for your estimated extra 50 messages):

http://slickdeals.net/f/7912559-ring...1#edit76534431
Old 07-03-15, 04:34 PM

Google Voice.
Old 07-03-15, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
Google Voice.
You still need an activated phone for GV to work. Won't help the OP much.
Old 07-03-15, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by movie diva View Post
get a cheap trac phone
Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Cheap tracphone and get a $20 card every three months.
Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
Tracfone.
Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
FYI, if you don't think that will be enough txts you can get a 1000 txt only card at tracfone.com for $10, but it doesn't include airtime/service days so it cannot be used to activate a new phone. You can add a $10 30 minute card for that, but it only adds 30 service days instead of 90 for the $20 cards.
If you go TracFone, be aware that they're an MVNO that buys service from one of the Big Carriers (in this case, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint or Verizon, depending on where you are), and that the phone you get from them will likely work ONLY on that specific network... no roaming.

Here's an article to tell which network your TracFone phone is linked to:

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011...-straight.html

Most Tracfone, NET10 and Straight Talk phones also have a network code on the box. It's usually in the lower left corner on the front of the box. These codes are: CDMA-S = Sprint, CDMA-V = Verizon, GSM-A = AT&T, GSM-T = T-Mobile.

If you already have the phone, find the SIM ID in the Prepaid menu. The first six numbers of the ID determine the carrier: 890126 = T-Mobile, 890141 = AT&T. Or look at the SIM itself. AT&T Tracfone SIMs have a code on them ending in C4, like TF64SIMC4. If the SIM has a code ending in T5, like TFSIMT5, it's for T-Mobile.

If you are ordering a phone online from one of the TracFone companies, after you enter you zip code look at the page URL for a string of characters beginning with &market=. The 4-6 characters after the "=" are the TracFone Market codes. Decode them as follows:
  • GSM4 = AT&T
  • GSM4SPR = AT&T or Sprint (Net10/Straight Talk Only)
  • GSM5 = T-Mobile
  • GSM5AT = T-Mobile or AT&T
  • GSM5SPR = T-Mobile or Sprint (Net10/Straight Talk Only)
  • CO = Verizon
  • COGSM4 = Verizon or AT&T
  • COGSM5 = Verizon or T-Mobile
  • COSPR = Verizon or Sprint (Net10/Straight Talk Only)
That link also contains instructions for how to order a TracFone online if your zipcode gives you a T-Mobile or Sprint market and you know AT&T or Verizon works better for you.
Old 07-03-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
I had my phone stolen and needed an immediate replacement while I worked on Plan B.

A Boost phone got me enough minutes and text to stay in touch for the week I was sans phone, and it cost me maybe $20 total, including the phone.
So you don't know Mabuse's wife, you are Mabuse's wife trying to figure out how to reconnect with her lover!