http://www.yelp.com/biz/anitas-new-m...n-food-ashburn

lots of sauces (some are good)
fairly hot salsa
extra crunchy chips
Cheese
seasoned Ground Beef
Soft Flour Tortillas (or crunchy corn)

it is very different from actual Mexican, but good if you are in the mood

Wow, not much different than Tex Mex. Lots of flour and cheese. I'll Yelp it and see what we have here in L.A.
Old 07-07-15, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
We're HISPANIC not hipsters.
Hispsters.
Old 07-07-15, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 174 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Hispsters.
Old 07-07-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 712 Likes on 551 Posts

Old 07-07-15, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread got me in the mood for fake tacos
I am eating Taco Bell right now!

I love how they use 'tools' to make the tacos, trowel, caulking gun, etc
Old 07-07-15, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 07-07-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
This thread got me in the mood for fake tacos
I am eating Taco Bell right now!

I love how they use 'tools' to make the tacos, trowel, caulking gun, etc
Don't forget to pick up some :

Old 07-07-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Now that's a fucking hipster.
Old 07-07-15, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am immune to Taco Bell's version of Montezuma revenge , never had that problem
Old 07-07-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 167 Posts

Old 07-07-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 307 Likes on 214 Posts

ITT I learned I'm a hipster for enjoying decent tacos.
Old 07-07-15, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 771 Likes on 497 Posts

I am immune to Taco Bell's version of Montezuma revenge , never had that problem
Me either. I just eat it and I'm fine.

Of course, the better place to go is Taco John's. When I first moved up here there weren't any near me. In my current home, one is right down the street. It's fan-fucking-tastic.
Old 07-07-15, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So why don't you guys look for authentic Mexican food instead of Americanized Mexican food? I'm not understanding that notion. If you think Taco Johns is great then I would assume that you guys would be blown away by some actual flavor at a traditional spot. Was I right about going into the 'hood to get it then?
Old 07-07-15, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 07-07-15, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
So why don't you guys look for authentic Mexican food instead of Americanized Mexican food? I'm not understanding that notion. If you think Taco Johns is great then I would assume that you guys would be blown away by some actual flavor at a traditional spot. Was I right about going into the 'hood to get it then?
Kind of depends on where you live. I save my great Mexican food for when I visit family in southern CA, because the Mexican food in my town is okay at best (I'm okay with Baja Fresh--not the greatest, but it beats it's competition, which is Chipotle across the street). You can like Americanized Mexican AND authentic Mexican food at the same time. They're just different.

It's like Chinese. I save my good Chinese food for down there, too. What passes for Chinese in the US is very unlike the real thing, but I can still eat it and enjoy it.
Old 07-07-15, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Old 07-07-15, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is that really a common problem? It may be a cute joke but are people really getting the shits from eating tortillas, grounds beef, beans, cheese and sauce (the ingredients of virtually all Taco bell food)?
Old 07-07-15, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
Kind of depends on where you live. I save my great Mexican food for when I visit family in southern CA, because the Mexican food in my town is okay at best (I'm okay with Baja Fresh--not the greatest, but it beats it's competition, which is Chipotle across the street). You can like Americanized Mexican AND authentic Mexican food at the same time. They're just different.

It's like Chinese. I save my good Chinese food for down there, too. What passes for Chinese in the US is very unlike the real thing, but I can still eat it and enjoy it.
I guess that makes sense but I guess the availability of authentic makes it so that I don't like the shitty versions. I'm the opposite, though. I eat it, but I don't enjoy it.
Old 07-07-15, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 07-07-15, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 435 Likes on 224 Posts

I guess that makes sense but I guess the availability of authentic makes it so that I don't like the shitty versions. I'm the opposite, though. I eat it, but I don't enjoy it.
I don't really think of it as the same thing. I don't think of one as a substitute for the other. I think of it as something different, which it is. It's possible to enjoy both without equating them.

It's the same way I can eat both a real Italian plate of spaghetti, and a can of Spaghetti-O's. They may both have spaghetti in the name, but they're really not the same thing at all.
Old 07-07-15, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Is that really a common problem? It may be a cute joke but are people really getting the shits from eating tortillas, grounds beef, beans, cheese and sauce (the ingredients of virtually all Taco bell food)?
I have a handful of friends that swear TB gives them the shits every time they eat it, I have never had an issue.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I don't really think of it as the same thing. I don't think of one as a substitute for the other. I think of it as something different, which it is. It's possible to enjoy both without equating them.

It's the same way I can eat both a real Italian plate of spaghetti, and a can of Spaghetti-O's. They may both have spaghetti in the name, but they're really not the same thing at all.
pretty much this ^

Taco Bell to me is it's own food group. I was at one of my satellite offices today that has a Taco Bell literally right next door, I had to I should have posted pics to agitate all the natives

I have no Taco John's
Old 07-08-15, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 771 Likes on 497 Posts

There's a great burger place in town called the Blue Door Pub. They have a burger called the Cease and Desist that tastes like the world's best Big Mac (it got the name because they used to call it a Big Mac until they got a cease and desist letter from McDonald's.)

There are two locations in town and it's definitely worth going, but 99% of the time actually getting a Big Mac from McDonald's is cheaper, faster and more convenient. And I think they taste just fine on their own.

You make it seem like I've never had authentic Mexican food so I'm just settling for Taco John's or scared of it or something. That is certainly not the case. But at 9 PM on a Tuesday, getting Taco John's is a hell of a lot more convenient than driving into the city. And I actually like Taco John's, so that's even better.
Old 07-08-15, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the people in this thread who are criticizing "hipsters" while simultaneously talking about how they were totally into tacos before the masses came along and ruined them, and by the way, this little hole-in-the-wall place that I know is so much better than the chain you like.
Old 07-08-15, 08:03 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My philosophy w/ finding great tacos, if the inside and outside of the taco joint look like crap... the food probably tastes great. Very rarely does a nice looking interior/exterior taco joint match up to the taquerias' quality.
Old 07-08-15, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
There's a great burger place in town called the Blue Door Pub. They have a burger called the Cease and Desist that tastes like the world's best Big Mac (it got the name because they used to call it a Big Mac until they got a cease and desist letter from McDonald's.)

There are two locations in town and it's definitely worth going, but 99% of the time actually getting a Big Mac from McDonald's is cheaper, faster and more convenient. And I think they taste just fine on their own.

You make it seem like I've never had authentic Mexican food so I'm just settling for Taco John's or scared of it or something. That is certainly not the case. But at 9 PM on a Tuesday, getting Taco John's is a hell of a lot more convenient than driving into the city. And I actually like Taco John's, so that's even better.
It started to sound that way. Speaking of burgers I love a nice cheddar burger from gastropubs but I'm one of the few that actually likes McDonald's. Like, I actively go there sometimes…on purpose. They have a really good jalapeño double burger.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.