DVD Talk Hero

Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

- Albert Bandura
Old 07-06-15, 12:00 PM   #127
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I'm not saying that I wouldn't eat them if I were hungry (it's filler food) but this is not Mexican.

This is not Authentic Mexican

It is however, Mexican like, or a bastardized copy of Mexican style food

I call what I see in your picture an American-Mexican 80's style taco
Old 07-06-15, 12:05 PM   #128
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
This is not Authentic Mexican

It is however, Mexican like, or a bastardized copy of Mexican style food

I call what I see in your picture an American-Mexican 80's style taco
I don't settle for Mexican style food. Why? I guess I'm spoiled living in L.A. I step out the house and I have authentic spots at every corner. If I lived somewhere where it wasn't readily available I'd buy my ingredients and make it myself. There's just no substitution for the real thing.
Old 07-06-15, 12:09 PM   #129
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
RE: Draven & Timber

Oh, so I'm a hipster, because I don't tell you where my taco spots are at? What difference would that make? I'm showing you what the fucking tacos look like. Now you go to Yelp or wherever and you do the leg work. Half of you would probably be scared to go into the 'hood to try the real shit anyway. Unless you lived in a gentrified neighborhood and got lucky by having a taco stand nearby.

If you must have cheese on your taco then stick to Shitpotle, Del Taco, or Taco Bell. There's nothing for you here.
A hipster is exactly the kind of person who would only hit up some obscure taco place, say others will be scared of going there and proclaim they shouldn't have cheese on them. Just embrace it.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 07-06-15, 12:20 PM   #130
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
A hipster is exactly the kind of person who would only hit up some obscure taco place, say others will be scared of going there and proclaim they shouldn't have cheese on them. Just embrace it.

I don't think a hipster means what you think it means, dude.
Old 07-06-15, 12:25 PM   #131
DVD Talk Legend

We're arguing over tacos now?
Old 07-06-15, 12:27 PM   #132
Banned

Quote:
I'm not saying that I wouldn't eat them if I were hungry (it's filler food) but this is not Mexican.

I was probably 8 or 9 when I saw such tacos in real life outside of Taco Bell ads. Jesus. Even today... my gringa friends will invite me over to cook and she gets the ground beef and taco seasoning and whatever. I'm having a goddamn seizure seeing that put in front of me. Taco shells? What? Wtf is wrong people not wanting to make tortillas? Shit is easy as hell.

The maiz ones... I don't know about but Harina? Shiiiiiiite.
Old 07-06-15, 12:27 PM   #133
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
We're arguing over tacos now?
Tacos are always worth arguing over.
Old 07-06-15, 12:28 PM   #134
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I was probably 8 or 9 when I saw such tacos in real life outside of Taco Bell ads. Jesus. Even today... my gringa friends will invite me over to cook and she gets the ground beef and taco seasoning and whatever. I'm having a goddamn seizure seeing that put in front of me. Taco shells? What? Wtf is wrong people not wanting to make tortillas? Shit is easy as hell.

The maiz ones... I don't know about but Harina? Shiiiiiiite.

Bloody savages.
Old 07-06-15, 12:31 PM   #135
DVD Talk Legend

More real shit:

Two de Asada

Two de Suadero

Two de Chorizo

Three de Asada

Two de Buche
Old 07-06-15, 12:37 PM   #136
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5146632.html

Quote:
Tacos, of course, aren't exclusively or originally a hipster food. Hipsters, however, think they invented the damn things and own the rights to any and all iterations of tacos, for all time.

"One of the things with the wall is you need transparency," Trump said. "You have to be able to see through it. In other words, if you can't see through that wall so it could be a steel wall with openings, but you have to have openings because you have to see what's on the other side of the wall."
Old 07-06-15, 12:40 PM   #137
Banned

Goddamit. We've had wars over tacos.

Why do you think the conservatives hate Mexico so goddamn much? Tacos. The more wetbacks we have here the less money Taco bell and the fake Mexican food bastards can make. It's a goddamn conspiracy. You white fucks fear the wetback and his/her damn fine cooking. And it's CHEAPER too! For the most part.
Old 07-06-15, 12:44 PM   #138
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post

Maybe an east coast thing - not sure. Hipsters don't claim tacos out here but I will agree that they claim food trucks. I'm not necessarily a fan of food trucks. Why? Because we have taco trucks. They can have their shitty fusion.
Old 07-06-15, 12:45 PM   #139
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

What the hell are those radishes doing in there?
Old 07-06-15, 12:47 PM   #140
DVD Talk Legend

^ they garnished the plate. You eat those on the side - they don't go on the taco.
Old 07-06-15, 12:47 PM   #141
Banned

I've never eaten a radish but... I think that's red onion in the middle. Wait. I'm not sure on that one. It's size and texture isn't onion.
Old 07-06-15, 12:51 PM   #142
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I've never eaten a radish but... I think that's red onion in the middle. Wait. I'm not sure on that one. It's size and texture isn't onion.
Those are rabanos not cebollas, Carnal.

- Albert Bandura
Old 07-06-15, 12:53 PM   #143
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I don't settle for Mexican style food. Why? I guess I'm spoiled living in L.A. I step out the house and I have authentic spots at every corner. If I lived somewhere where it wasn't readily available I'd buy my ingredients and make it myself. There's just no substitution for the real thing.
Variety? Why eat the same thing, over and over and over, try something new once in a while. I have a close El Salvadorian style taco place that I love, but I wouldn't want to eat there every time I want that style of food.

Even though I like a good authentic Mexican taco, I also like tacos with cheese on them.

Hell, I crave taco bell every once in a while. Not sure why but the basic ground beef tacos have a certain taste that I want once a month or so.

Chipotle, same thing, I like their burrito bowl and I like their guac. Do I eat it more than once a month, no, but I do like it.

We have another local chain called Anita's that I am certain *YOU* would not consider Mexican food (it claims New Mexico style, whatever that is)

but it is good in it's own way

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran..._Virginia.html
Old 07-06-15, 12:53 PM   #144
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, those are radishes and a lime wedge. The chopped onions are in the tacos.
Old 07-06-15, 12:54 PM   #145
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Variety? Why eat the same thing, over and over and over, try something new once in a while. I have a close El Salvadorian style taco place that I love, but I wouldn't want to eat there every time I want that style of food.

Even though I like a good authentic Mexican taco, I also like tacos with cheese on them.

Hell, I crave taco bell every once in a while. Not sure why but the basic ground beef tacos have a certain taste that I want once a month or so.

Chipotle, same thing, I like their burrito bowl and I like their guac. Do I eat it more than once a month, no, but I do like it.

We have another local chain called Anita's that I am certain *YOU* would not consider Mexican food (it claims New Mexico style, whatever that is)

Oh, and I'm glad you brought up New Mex - New Mex-style I have zero experience with. I'll have to look it up just to see if by the off chance I've ever tried it before. I can't think of anything that is New-Mex.

As far as the food trucks go it's just one disappointment after another. The "world famous" Kogi truck popularized fusion trucks and I tried their tacos and I was not impressed. Kim Chi tacos? Yeah, the concept is fine but I was not a fan.
Old 07-06-15, 12:58 PM   #146
DVD Talk Legend

Yelp has some pictures of New Mex @ Anita's

http://www.yelp.com/biz/anitas-new-m...n-food-ashburn

lots of sauces (some are good)
fairly hot salsa
extra crunchy chips
Cheese
seasoned Ground Beef
Soft Flour Tortillas (or crunchy corn)

it is very different from actual Mexican, but good if you are in the mood
Old 07-06-15, 01:00 PM   #147
Banned

Quote:

Liking it is one thing. Totally recognizing it as wetback food is another. It's just fast food at that point w/ some of them.

Taco Bell is disgusting though and Taco Bueno is slightly better. And there ain't enough chipotleaway for people to use for Chipotle.

If i'm going to clog my arteries w/ something akin to mexican food I want it made by an undocumented worker... it's going to be in a tortilla de maiz/harina and some type of meat sprinkled w/ cilantro and cebolla. And it will be called Mexican food. None of this fake fried fast food shit.
Old 07-06-15, 01:01 PM   #148
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Yelp has some pictures of New Mex @ Anita's

http://www.yelp.com/biz/anitas-new-m...n-food-ashburn

lots of sauces (some are good)
fairly hot salsa
extra crunchy chips
Cheese
seasoned Ground Beef
Soft Flour Tortillas (or crunchy corn)

it is very different from actual Mexican, but good if you are in the mood
Cheese and flour tortillas? Heads are about to explode.
"One of the things with the wall is you need transparency," Trump said. "You have to be able to see through it. In other words, if you can't see through that wall so it could be a steel wall with openings, but you have to have openings because you have to see what's on the other side of the wall."
Old 07-06-15, 01:03 PM   #149
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Taco Bell is disgusting
You must have never had a 24 hour taco bell near where you are out drinking all night

That shit is damn tasty at 3:00am after drinking for 6 hours
Old 07-06-15, 01:05 PM   #150
Banned

Fuck that. I drink all night, I start on the goddamn fucking grill and make fajitas.