Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-06-15, 11:53 AM   #126
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,181
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

__________________
The triumph of evil requires a lot of good people, doing a bit of it [evil], in a morally disengaged way, with indifference to the human suffering they cause.

- Albert Bandura
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 12:00 PM   #127
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,053
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I'm not saying that I wouldn't eat them if I were hungry (it's filler food) but this is not Mexican.


This is not Authentic Mexican

It is however, Mexican like, or a bastardized copy of Mexican style food

I call what I see in your picture an American-Mexican 80's style taco
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 12:05 PM   #128
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,738
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
This is not Authentic Mexican

It is however, Mexican like, or a bastardized copy of Mexican style food

I call what I see in your picture an American-Mexican 80's style taco
I don't settle for Mexican style food. Why? I guess I'm spoiled living in L.A. I step out the house and I have authentic spots at every corner. If I lived somewhere where it wasn't readily available I'd buy my ingredients and make it myself. There's just no substitution for the real thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 12:09 PM   #129
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 25,498
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
RE: Draven & Timber

Oh, so I'm a hipster, because I don't tell you where my taco spots are at? What difference would that make? I'm showing you what the fucking tacos look like. Now you go to Yelp or wherever and you do the leg work. Half of you would probably be scared to go into the 'hood to try the real shit anyway. Unless you lived in a gentrified neighborhood and got lucky by having a taco stand nearby.

If you must have cheese on your taco then stick to Shitpotle, Del Taco, or Taco Bell. There's nothing for you here.
A hipster is exactly the kind of person who would only hit up some obscure taco place, say others will be scared of going there and proclaim they shouldn't have cheese on them. Just embrace it.
__________________
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 12:20 PM   #130
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,738
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
A hipster is exactly the kind of person who would only hit up some obscure taco place, say others will be scared of going there and proclaim they shouldn't have cheese on them. Just embrace it.

I don't think a hipster means what you think it means, dude.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 12:25 PM   #131
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,762
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

We're arguing over tacos now?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 12:27 PM   #132
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I'm not saying that I wouldn't eat them if I were hungry (it's filler food) but this is not Mexican.


I was probably 8 or 9 when I saw such tacos in real life outside of Taco Bell ads. Jesus. Even today... my gringa friends will invite me over to cook and she gets the ground beef and taco seasoning and whatever. I'm having a goddamn seizure seeing that put in front of me. Taco shells? What? Wtf is wrong people not wanting to make tortillas? Shit is easy as hell.

The maiz ones... I don't know about but Harina? Shiiiiiiite.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 12:27 PM   #133
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,738
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
We're arguing over tacos now?
Tacos are always worth arguing over.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 12:28 PM   #134
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,738
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I was probably 8 or 9 when I saw such tacos in real life outside of Taco Bell ads. Jesus. Even today... my gringa friends will invite me over to cook and she gets the ground beef and taco seasoning and whatever. I'm having a goddamn seizure seeing that put in front of me. Taco shells? What? Wtf is wrong people not wanting to make tortillas? Shit is easy as hell.

The maiz ones... I don't know about but Harina? Shiiiiiiite.

Bloody savages.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 12:31 PM   #135
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,738
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

More real shit:



Two de Asada

Two de Suadero

Two de Chorizo





Three de Asada

Two de Buche
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 12:37 PM   #136
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 11,790
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5146632.html

Quote:
Tacos, of course, aren't exclusively or originally a hipster food. Hipsters, however, think they invented the damn things and own the rights to any and all iterations of tacos, for all time.

__________________
Quote:
"One of the things with the wall is you need transparency," Trump said. "You have to be able to see through it. In other words, if you can't see through that wall so it could be a steel wall with openings, but you have to have openings because you have to see what's on the other side of the wall."
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 12:40 PM   #137
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Goddamit. We've had wars over tacos.

Why do you think the conservatives hate Mexico so goddamn much? Tacos. The more wetbacks we have here the less money Taco bell and the fake Mexican food bastards can make. It's a goddamn conspiracy. You white fucks fear the wetback and his/her damn fine cooking. And it's CHEAPER too! For the most part.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 12:44 PM   #138
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,738
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post

Maybe an east coast thing - not sure. Hipsters don't claim tacos out here but I will agree that they claim food trucks. I'm not necessarily a fan of food trucks. Why? Because we have taco trucks. They can have their shitty fusion.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 12:45 PM   #139
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 16,830
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post



What the hell are those radishes doing in there?
__________________
Strong, but gentle. Firm, but kind.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 12:47 PM   #140
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,738
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

^ they garnished the plate. You eat those on the side - they don't go on the taco.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 12:47 PM   #141
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

I've never eaten a radish but... I think that's red onion in the middle. Wait. I'm not sure on that one. It's size and texture isn't onion.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 12:51 PM   #142
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,181
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I've never eaten a radish but... I think that's red onion in the middle. Wait. I'm not sure on that one. It's size and texture isn't onion.
Those are rabanos not cebollas, Carnal.
__________________
The triumph of evil requires a lot of good people, doing a bit of it [evil], in a morally disengaged way, with indifference to the human suffering they cause.

- Albert Bandura
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 12:53 PM   #143
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,053
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I don't settle for Mexican style food. Why? I guess I'm spoiled living in L.A. I step out the house and I have authentic spots at every corner. If I lived somewhere where it wasn't readily available I'd buy my ingredients and make it myself. There's just no substitution for the real thing.
Variety? Why eat the same thing, over and over and over, try something new once in a while. I have a close El Salvadorian style taco place that I love, but I wouldn't want to eat there every time I want that style of food.

Even though I like a good authentic Mexican taco, I also like tacos with cheese on them.

Hell, I crave taco bell every once in a while. Not sure why but the basic ground beef tacos have a certain taste that I want once a month or so.

Chipotle, same thing, I like their burrito bowl and I like their guac. Do I eat it more than once a month, no, but I do like it.

We have another local chain called Anita's that I am certain *YOU* would not consider Mexican food (it claims New Mexico style, whatever that is)

but it is good in it's own way

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran..._Virginia.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 12:53 PM   #144
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,738
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Yeah, those are radishes and a lime wedge. The chopped onions are in the tacos.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 12:54 PM   #145
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,738
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
Variety? Why eat the same thing, over and over and over, try something new once in a while. I have a close El Salvadorian style taco place that I love, but I wouldn't want to eat there every time I want that style of food.

Even though I like a good authentic Mexican taco, I also like tacos with cheese on them.

Hell, I crave taco bell every once in a while. Not sure why but the basic ground beef tacos have a certain taste that I want once a month or so.

Chipotle, same thing, I like their burrito bowl and I like their guac. Do I eat it more than once a month, no, but I do like it.

We have another local chain called Anita's that I am certain *YOU* would not consider Mexican food (it claims New Mexico style, whatever that is)

but it is good in it's own way

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran..._Virginia.html

Oh, and I'm glad you brought up New Mex - New Mex-style I have zero experience with. I'll have to look it up just to see if by the off chance I've ever tried it before. I can't think of anything that is New-Mex.

As far as the food trucks go it's just one disappointment after another. The "world famous" Kogi truck popularized fusion trucks and I tried their tacos and I was not impressed. Kim Chi tacos? Yeah, the concept is fine but I was not a fan.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 12:58 PM   #146
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,053
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Yelp has some pictures of New Mex @ Anita's

http://www.yelp.com/biz/anitas-new-m...n-food-ashburn

lots of sauces (some are good)
fairly hot salsa
extra crunchy chips
Cheese
seasoned Ground Beef
Soft Flour Tortillas (or crunchy corn)

it is very different from actual Mexican, but good if you are in the mood
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 01:00 PM   #147
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
Variety? Why eat the same thing, over and over and over, try something new once in a while. I have a close El Salvadorian style taco place that I love, but I wouldn't want to eat there every time I want that style of food.

Even though I like a good authentic Mexican taco, I also like tacos with cheese on them.

Hell, I crave taco bell every once in a while. Not sure why but the basic ground beef tacos have a certain taste that I want once a month or so.

Chipotle, same thing, I like their burrito bowl and I like their guac. Do I eat it more than once a month, no, but I do like it.

We have another local chain called Anita's that I am certain *YOU* would not consider Mexican food (it claims New Mexico style, whatever that is)

but it is good in it's own way

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran..._Virginia.html
Liking it is one thing. Totally recognizing it as wetback food is another. It's just fast food at that point w/ some of them.

Taco Bell is disgusting though and Taco Bueno is slightly better. And there ain't enough chipotleaway for people to use for Chipotle.

If i'm going to clog my arteries w/ something akin to mexican food I want it made by an undocumented worker... it's going to be in a tortilla de maiz/harina and some type of meat sprinkled w/ cilantro and cebolla. And it will be called Mexican food. None of this fake fried fast food shit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 01:01 PM   #148
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 11,790
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
Yelp has some pictures of New Mex @ Anita's

http://www.yelp.com/biz/anitas-new-m...n-food-ashburn

lots of sauces (some are good)
fairly hot salsa
extra crunchy chips
Cheese
seasoned Ground Beef
Soft Flour Tortillas (or crunchy corn)

it is very different from actual Mexican, but good if you are in the mood
Cheese and flour tortillas? Heads are about to explode.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the things with the wall is you need transparency," Trump said. "You have to be able to see through it. In other words, if you can't see through that wall so it could be a steel wall with openings, but you have to have openings because you have to see what's on the other side of the wall."
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 01:03 PM   #149
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,053
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post

Taco Bell is disgusting
You must have never had a 24 hour taco bell near where you are out drinking all night

That shit is damn tasty at 3:00am after drinking for 6 hours
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 01:05 PM   #150
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Fuck that. I drink all night, I start on the goddamn fucking grill and make fajitas.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0