DVD Talk Hero

Received 737 Likes on 525 Posts
Re: Happy Canada Day!

Happy C-day, hosers!
Old 07-01-15, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

They were showing dudes on trampolines from Vancouver, celebrating Canada Day during the World Cup coverage.

That's the difference between the US and Canada. They have guys on trampolines, we have girls on trampolines:

Old 07-01-15, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

But seriously, thank you Canada for the Steamroller.

Old 07-02-15, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In true Canadian fashion, I have to apologize for not having any better videos for these songs:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7-T3coiH-ss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9vxDDcTc64c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-02-15, 08:21 AM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
You don't have to.
I'm going to Montreal, not Toronto. I've been to Toronto, the people there were condescending and not terribly bright. I had to explain to one guy how their system of government works. I'm hoping the Quebecois are different.

Old 07-02-15, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I'm going to Montreal, not Toronto. I've been to Toronto, the people there were condescending and not terribly bright. I had to explain to one guy how their system of government works. I'm hoping the Quebecois are different.

One culinary recommendation: Montreal-style bagels are completely awesome, if you can get to one of those bakeries.

I'd give them the edge over NY style.
Old 07-02-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 07-02-15, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 453 Posts

The average person on the street in any city is not very informed about anything of import or governmental matters. That's not unique to Toronto, but I am surprised you found the people here condescending, as that's definitely not a trait one commonly hears ascribed to people from here.
Old 07-03-15, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had this horrible dream that I missed Canada Day...

Fetch me my toque! Get me a tub of poutine, some back bacon, and a two four of Molson, stat!

Sorry, eh?
Old 07-03-15, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Zap Rowsdower!!!
Old 07-03-15, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Old 07-03-15, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't you get Kinder in the States? The eggs are far too expensive. I buy the 100g chocolate bars.
Old 07-03-15, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 611 Likes on 436 Posts

Banned in the US

That's because the US has had a ban on candies with embedded toys since 1938.

The confection also runs afoul of a law requiring all toys that accompany candies to be safe for children of all ages (the toys contained in the eggs are labeled as being safe for ages 3 and up).
Although they did come up with an inferior facsimile which adheres to the rules:

http://gawker.com/5990806/us-ban-on-...y-lifted-kinda
Old 07-03-15, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Ah, interesting. Thanks.
Old 07-06-15, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
One culinary recommendation: Montreal-style bagels are completely awesome, if you can get to one of those bakeries.
Thanks, you're not the first person to make that recommendation to me.

The average person on the street in any city is not very informed about anything of import or governmental matters. That's not unique to Toronto, but I am surprised you found the people here condescending, as that's definitely not a trait one commonly hears ascribed to people from here.
It was actually only a few people whom I found to be condescending; a lot of people were perfectly nice. I just can't resist any opportunity to slam on our neighbo(u)rs to the north.
Old 07-08-15, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just can't resist any opportunity to slam on our neighbo(u)rs to the north.
Out of genuine curiosity, why? I note the winkie, but I also see many people jumping in at any mention of Canada with all the stale, unfunny put-downs: "America's hat"; "Is that a country?"; "51st state"; ad nauseam. The hatred or derision is compulsive for some Americans. It goes both ways, no question, but I haven't seen much of the same from Canadians on this forum.
Old 07-09-15, 07:05 AM

Out of genuine curiosity, why?
In general, I genuinely like Canada, and Canadians; it's sort of a running joke with me and my friends that I don't like Canadians, because you guys are about as pleasant and inoffensive a group of people anyone can imagine. OTOH, there is one group of people I hate with the fire and passion of a million suns, and that is Toronto FC supporters. Their attitude and behavior is, in my personal - and often first-hand - experience, best described as 'sub-human.' And sometimes my hatred of them spills over into the rest of your country a bit.
Old 07-09-15, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 205 Likes on 155 Posts

In general, I genuinely like Canada, and Canadians; it's sort of a running joke with me and my friends that I don't like Canadians, because you guys are about as pleasant and inoffensive a group of people anyone can imagine. OTOH, there is one group of people I hate with the fire and passion of a million suns, and that is Toronto FC supporters. Their attitude and behavior is, in my personal - and often first-hand - experience, best described as 'sub-human.' And sometimes my hatred of them spills over into the rest of your country a bit.
Hard to disagree with you on that. They are douchebags and I'm a Toronto FC fan but I can't imagine why anyone needs to act that way.

It was Toronto FC fans who told the female reporter on live TV while interviewing fans to FHITP.
Old 07-09-15, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 611 Likes on 436 Posts

Didn't know MLS was popular enough to have such supporters. I thought people went to MLS games like they would go to a movie.

That said, Leafs fans. Wanna hate Toronto sports fans, these are the ones to hate. 50 years of cheering for crappy teams has made them insane.
Old 07-09-15, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, I understand the whole picture now.
Yes, as LorenzoL mentioned, it was a couple of brain-forsaken FC asshats who were famously confronted over their vulgarity. One was promptly fired from his well-paying government job. I don't know about the other. I have never been to a game myself (despite being a soccer fan), but I wouldn't be surprised if many of the supporters are Neanders.
Originally Posted by eXcentris
That said, Leafs fans. Wanna hate Toronto sports fans, these are the ones to hate. 50 years of cheering for crappy teams has made them insane.
I hear you. I can't conceive of why the Leafs continue to sell out year after year. Piling on one losing season after another, yet the doltish fans remain rabidly supportive. MLSE, which owns just about every pathetic team in town (and is owned by Bell), is laughing all the way to the bank.