Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Holy Heat Wave Batman!, How hot is it where you are?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Holy Heat Wave Batman!, How hot is it where you are?

Old 06-10-19, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Holy Heat Wave Batman!, How hot is it where you are?

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
They just recorded the hottest Earth temp of all time - Kuwait, 52C (126F), in the shade.

Don't know why they went with "in the shade", since in direct sunlight would be way hotter, but I guess that would be cheating for a record.
I believe Death Valley hit 129.3 degrees "in the shade" in 2013 or 2014. Also this tells us that the record for the Easter Hemisphere is 129.2 degrees (Kuwait):

https://www.climatesignals.org/headl...92%C2%B0f-heat

Also, the old 134 degree Death Valley "record" is almost cerainly false. Death Valley hasn't officiallly recorded a temp beyond 129 degrees in over a century. See:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.23f5f6791f24

All this aside, I knew our heat in SoCal would hit with a vengeance, and we've been in the 90s for two days now. But, they say it will cool off to the 80s soon. 80s are better than 90s, but still way, way too hot. I'm afraid our delightful "June gloom" is gone niow, though, and we're in for the long, hot summer meltdown...
Old 06-10-19, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It shot up to 97 here. I just saw a friend post to say that it's 101 up in Palo Alto, so this heatwave is spread out through California.
Old 06-10-19, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

While I certainly love this heat (went running while it was 96), but it's way too humid - the humidity was a little rough on me during my run.

Today's the hottest though, gonna be a cooling trend starting tomorrow, getting back to a high of upper 70s for next week.
Old 06-11-19, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah it was 100+ here yesterday (and will be today). Looking forward to the mid 70s temps while at Disneyland this weekend/next week.
Old 06-12-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was hot yesterday. The humidity made it worse. I checked my app and it said 40% humidity along with 96 degrees of heat. Glad I worked indoors all fucking day. Should be under 90 degrees today before we go to the upper 70's the rest of the week.
Old 06-12-19, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
It was hot yesterday. The humidity made it worse. I checked my app and it said 40% humidity along with 96 degrees of heat. Glad I worked indoors all fucking day. Should be under 90 degrees today before we go to the upper 70's the rest of the week.
Nights are the worst... It hasn't cooled to below 68 or so a night for the last 4 days. That's 20 degrees warmer at night than 3 weeks ago, and man, it's made getting to sleep more difficult. It could be 90 during the day, but as long as it cooled to 45 at night, the house would get a chance to cool off, but 95 during the day with a low of 70 sucks terribly.
Old 06-12-19, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know I'm weird, and I know I keep saying shit like this, but I sleep WAY better in the heat - I don't mean 90+ heat, but I'm comfortable enough in the upper 80s. I sweat during my workouts, so I don't sweat when I sleep.
Old 06-13-19, 01:21 AM

slop, you're comfortable sleeping iin a room where the inside temp in that room is in the upper 80s? Wow, just wow. I suggest a move to Kuwait -- or Death Valley. Pick your poison.
Old 06-13-19, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah (as long as it's not too muggy/humid), and of course, I'm not wearing much, and only the thinnest of sheet for covering.
Certainly more comfortable than the sound of the A/C kicking on and off.
Old 06-13-19, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's 74 here but the humidity is 64%, so I'm good. Don't have to be anywhere today, so catching up on some flicks.
Old 06-13-19, 04:58 PM

Certainly more comfortable than the sound of the A/C kicking on and off.
Yes, paradoxically, I can't stand the loud motor of the AC fan / compressor at night, either. There MUST be a quieter home air conditioner system. Mine is from 1994, but still works very well, cools very efficiently,, etc although it is extremely loud. So, I usually suffer at night in the heat, because having the damn thing on keeps me awake anyway... With a forced air system, I don't think there IS a quieter way, unfortunately. I'm open to suggestions.
Old 06-14-19, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Send some heat our way. I don't mind the heat. After 6 months of snow I'm ready for it and it won't warm up. We've been confortable with high's in the low 70's and nights in the 50's. My pool was opened Memorial Day weekend but isn't anywhere close to being warm enough to swim in. Until we start getting some good 80's and the nights stay warmer all I'm doing is keeping the electric company and the chlorine manufacturer in business.
Old 06-14-19, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Yes, paradoxically, I can't stand the loud motor of the AC fan / compressor at night, either. There MUST be a quieter home air conditioner system. Mine is from 1994, but still works very well, cools very efficiently,, etc although it is extremely loud. So, I usually suffer at night in the heat, because having the damn thing on keeps me awake anyway... With a forced air system, I don't think there IS a quieter way, unfortunately. I'm open to suggestions.
Ours makes a tons of noise as well but does a great job. There was one guy down the street who spent a lot of time in his yard that has his replaced with a top of the line Rheem and you could sit right next to it and have a conversation and it was fantastic. Of course that costs $$$ ...
Old 06-15-19, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate using the AC. We only use it when we absolutely have to. The house is already closed up 6 months a year. I'll be damned if I close it up any more than I have to.

High if 67 yesterday. Please send us some heat. Nice weather for golf or working in the yard. Just not real summer weather. Snow was on the ground in late April. I'm ready for some hot, hot, hot.
Old 06-15-19, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^I fedex'd some to you

It's so hot doing yard work is a whole day affair because you move a lot slower and three hours of yard work requires an equal amount of rest/cool down time.
Old 06-17-19, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yesterday we had a family picnic for Father's Day. High of 60. Pool was sitting there gathering leaves from the tree. We sat out on the deck but most people had sweatshirts on. We are supposed to have Wednesday in the high 70's but rest of the week low 70's and more rain. Every few years we have a summer like this where the Jetstream from Canada doesn't move right and the cool winds keep up unseasonably cold. We only get about 60 days of really warm weather. July and August is it where we might have a stretch of hot.
Old 06-17-19, 06:00 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've only tracked back the last 40-post page to see what everyone's temps are doing in their part of the country, 95% of people posting are from CA with a couple from FL, one from PR, and one guy from the NE, now two. It's been unseasonably cold in OH, temps hanging around mid 50's to mid 70's and rain about 70% of the time. So far this summer sucks ass. I hope July & August are more seasonal temps and a little more sunshine. Getting tired of not being able to do stuff outdoors without long pants, a jacket, and umbrella...

Last edited by kd5; 06-17-19 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-17-19, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Going to be 80 today. Enjoying the temps before summer sinks in.
Old 06-17-19, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's June, so the high temperatures have been in the 90s. The humidity is low so it's reasonably pleasant if you don't get too much sun. The nights are still cool enough that the house is comfortable all day. In July, the monsoon season begins and it will be just as hot but more humid.
Old 06-17-19, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

97 degrees last Monday. Today, 64 and rainy... WTF.
Old 06-17-19, 04:58 PM

97 degrees last Monday. Today, 64 and rainy... WTF.
June gloom came back, and I'm a happy camper!