Lawyer advice needed regarding car accident

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-29-15, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short Version:

A few weeks ago I was driving straight, going the speed limit, and upon entering the intersection a car going the opposite way took a left turn driving right into me. Both cars totaled, no witnesses stopped, and she was cited for the left turn. Her car was destroyed in the exact front, mine on the entire drivers side to the rear. She told me she and her children were good after the accident.

Her insurance company has been playing difficult with mine because both of us claim to have had a green light. My insurance company told me they are not holding me at fault.

Today I get hit with a suit notice from a separate lawyer for her medical bills, not for the accident or the car. Gave everything to our insurance this afternoon. My insurance stated I should let them deal with it at this point.

I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? I called a law firm just in case and they told me to let the insurance deal with it at this point in time. This is beyond frustrating because she was at fault and is now looking for a payout.

Thanks.
Old 06-29-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Lawyer advice needed regarding car accident

She was cited for the left turn, so she would be at fault for the accident according to the police report. We there any traffic cameras at the light? If there were, you would have received a ticket for running a red light if the accident was your fault. If there were no cameras, did she have a green light with an arrow? Was there a sign that said left turn must yeild?
Old 06-29-15, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If she was cited it's obviously her fault. I can't see this going any further.
Old 06-29-15, 02:15 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Not a lawyer, but yeah... if she was cited on-site and you weren't, there's no way this should be coming back to haunt you. Do you have a copy of your/her police report? What about the police's own report of the incident? With two cars being totaled like that, surely the police have a report determining the responsible party...
Old 06-29-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Short Version:

A few weeks ago I was driving straight, going the speed limit, and upon entering the intersection a car going the opposite way took a left turn driving right into me. Both cars totaled, no witnesses stopped, and she was cited for the left turn. Her car was destroyed in the exact front, mine on the entire drivers side to the rear. She told me she and her children were good after the accident.

Her insurance company has been playing difficult with mine because both of us claim to have had a green light. My insurance company told me they are not holding me at fault.

Today I get hit with a suit notice from a separate lawyer for her medical bills, not for the accident or the car. Gave everything to our insurance this afternoon. My insurance stated I should let them deal with it at this point.

I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? I called a law firm just in case and they told me to let the insurance deal with it at this point in time. This is beyond frustrating because she was at fault and is now looking for a payout.

Thanks.
Let your insurance company handle it. That's what you've been paying them for all these years.

Am I understanding right that you were going straight in one direction, and she was headed in the opposite direction and made a left turn across your lane, hitting you? Assuming that's right, I don't see how it's anything other than 100% her fault -- I don't think there's anywhere in the world where it's legal to make a turn across oncoming traffic without yielding.
Old 06-29-15, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the report. She was cited for the left turn. It doesn't mention anything about me going through any red lights or speeding. Also, I looked her up on the court system's page. She has two previous failure to stop/yield marks against her already.

I guess she was arguing she had a green arrow, but that is not true. It is one of the busiest intersections in my area and if she had a green arrow then the rest of the traffic would have had red light and witnessed the accident.
Old 06-29-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the damage that was done to my car. From the front headlight all the way to the back. She kept her foot on the gas after hitting me.

Old 06-29-15, 02:48 PM
RIP

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you film it for Youtube? If not, it didn't really happen.
Old 06-29-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I thought it would be much worse that that...they'll be able to buff that out, no problem.

I take it the frame got bent or the costs of repairs were enough that insurance is just writing off the whole car? When you said "totaled", I expected much more damage.
Old 06-29-15, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
Did you film it for Youtube? If not, it didn't really happen.
No. I am upset though because their is nothing I could have done, but stay home, that would have prevented this accident. After the accident she came up to me and to me everyone was ok and gave me a hug saying she was sorry. Not this ....
Old 06-29-15, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
I thought it would be much worse that that...they'll be able to buff that out, no problem.

I take it the frame got bent or the costs of repairs were enough that insurance is just writing off the whole car? When you said "totaled", I expected much more damage.
They stopped estimating repair costs around 9K because the repairs were more than the value of the car. It was a 2002.
Old 06-29-15, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a photo of her initial meeting with her attorney

Old 06-29-15, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Quite possible.
Old 06-29-15, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Let your insurance company handle it. That's what you've been paying them for all these years.
This. Keep in mind that your insurance company REALLY doesn't want to pay all those medical bills, so they're gonna fight tooth and nail to prove it wasn't your fault.

I've made two claims in the last few years; one on my homeowner's, and one on my car. The first was caused by a defective washing machine, latter caused by a defective person. In both cases, my insurance company continued to fight that it was not my fault, to the extent of getting my deductible back each time. In other words, your insurance company is doing their damnedest to make sure the OTHER person's insurance pays for everything. That's what they'll do here.
Old 06-29-15, 03:10 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Another random tidbit: If the other party admits guilt on-site ("I'm sorry."), document it in your police report. It matters. At least, that's what they told us in drivers training in the 90's.
Old 06-29-15, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
This. Keep in mind that your insurance company REALLY doesn't want to pay all those medical bills, so they're gonna fight tooth and nail to prove it wasn't your fault.

I've made two claims in the last few years; one on my homeowner's, and one on my car. The first was caused by a defective washing machine, latter caused by a defective person. In both cases, my insurance company continued to fight that it was not my fault, to the extent of getting my deductible back each time. In other words, your insurance company is doing their damnedest to make sure the OTHER person's insurance pays for everything. That's what they'll do here.
Thanks. I felt like shit all day over this because I didn't do anything wrong.

Dan, The police report was very vague. The officer told me at the scene it was pretty obvious she was at fault but didn't write it up like that. I could have told him anything and it probably would not have made the report.
Old 06-29-15, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

A few weeks ago I was driving straight
I fail to see how your orientation is relevant.
Old 06-29-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The officer told me at the scene it was pretty obvious she was at fault but didn't write it up like that.
Yes he did. What exactly do you think the report should say?
Old 06-29-15, 04:14 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

He was just commenting on my comment. I don't think the OP expected anything else. I was only saying that it would have been nice for the report to include more details; in my collision in 2013, I had to write three paragraphs explaining how I was rear-ended.
Old 06-29-15, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
He was just commenting on my comment. I don't think the OP expected anything else. I was only saying that it would have been nice for the report to include more details; in my collision in 2013, I had to write three paragraphs explaining how I was rear-ended.
Yea, he just told me that we should let the insurance companies fight it out, so I figured he would keep the report vague.

Everything I have read online states that the report can't be used in court anyway. She is obviously going to try and blame me for the accident despite her being the one that turned left.
Old 06-29-15, 04:41 PM
Suspended

If even a trial lawyer won't touch your case, then you really really should just let your insurance deal with it.
Old 06-29-15, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SuperJim88 View Post
If even a trial lawyer won't touch your case, then you really really should just let your insurance deal with it.
I am letting the insurance deal with it. From my perspective she has to prove I was being negligent, so good luck to her. Such a shitty situation that will drag on for a long time.
Old 06-29-15, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SuperJim88 View Post
Where did the OP say that?
Old 06-29-15, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just spoke with one of the most well known firms in my area and they also stated to let the insurance deal with it, though they were unable, or unwilling, to answer my question of why someone would file notice of a suit for medical bills and not the car/accident itself. She has her own insurance so they should have paid her bills.
Old 06-29-15, 05:29 PM
Suspended

I called a law firm just in case and they told me to let the insurance deal with it at this point in time.
Ummm......HERE?! I can't read, so what do I know.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.