Reload this Page >

Spirit Airlines

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Spirit Airlines

Old 06-24-15, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spirit Airlines

So, I've read all the horror stories...flight delays, cancellations, no refunds, shitty customer service, nickel and diming for every little thing...

But I've never actually flown them. Has anyone here? Is it as bad as they say, or are the unsatisfied customers just very vocal? Can a company with this negative of a reputation stay in business?

I want to book a flight and it's significantly cheaper than any other airline...but the reviews scare me.
Old 06-24-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Spirit Airlines

Yes, I have (and allegiant, which is similar), and no, I won't again. It's just not worth the hassle to save a few bucks, and remember important things like if your flight is cancelled because of maintenance or crew not available or whatever, they won't (or very likely won't anyway) put you on another airline like the majors will. And they tend to have limited service to a lot of airports, so it's possible to really get screwed over.
Old 06-24-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They are worse than you've heard. By the time they are done charging you, it would have cost less to fly a major.

The only time it worked out for me was when I was making a day trip and wore cargo pants loaded to the gills with stuff. Even then they still tried to charge me for something.

Avoid.
Old 06-24-15, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My parents used to fly with them years ago. At first they were decent and then they went downhill.
Old 06-24-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Their CEO is willfully hostile to his customers so I avoid them now.

But I would suggest booking a "business" class ticket if it ends up being cheaper than the majors (or whatever Spirit calls it now).

Otherwise you're essentially on the flying version of a Chinatown bus.
Old 06-24-15, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Otherwise you're essentially on the flying version of a Chinatown bus.
You couldn't pay me to take one of those. A friend of mine took one once to Boston and almost crapped himself.

Old 06-24-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Against my better judgement I took the family to Colorado last month using Spirit. No issues going there... too good to be true, right? Yes. The flight home was delayed for 3 days and they still haven't reimbursed me for that portion of the flight. It ended up costing me $1000 MORE than it should have. I'll never, never, never use them again. You've been warned.

Edit: I think there is a deeply buried thread about Spirit in this forum... find it if you need any further proof.
Old 06-24-15, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My daughter flew them to Cabo a couple of years ago. It was awful--on the way back, the last leg of her flight was cancelled, and they wouldn't/couldn't get her on anything else for 5 days. Luckily, she was travelling with someone else who was over 25, so they could rent a car and drive from San Diego up to Oregon. She said even without that snafu, it was miserable. They did refund her--like $40, a couple of months later. It cost more than that to rent the car. Worst. Airline. Ever.
Old 06-24-15, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Edit: I think there is a deeply buried thread about Spirit in this forum... find it if you need any further proof.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...-good-bad.html
Old 06-24-15, 03:12 PM

I flew Spirit airlines one time in my life and that was one time too many. Last December actually, my wife wanted to give them a try since the flight from MSP-MIA was cheaper than Delta (and didn't want to use our accrued miles).

It was a pretty bad experience. Flights were on-time both ways, but the seats don't recline, are already crammed more than a typical airline and there was no water offered. Not sure if they had a bathroom or not. We only had a couple carry-on duffel bags (which worked fine for us), but I can imaging the headache for those with luggage concerns.
Old 06-24-15, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

^^ If you ever have to go to MIA again, check West Palm Beach on Delta. Usually a lot cheaper from MSP and not much further than FLL. Just saying While we're on airlines in general, has anybody ever flown on one of those 19 person Beechcraft 1900 aircrafts? We recently got one that services our local area, to where it's actually cheap to fly within the state (Florida, which takes a while to traverse).

Last edited by RichC2; 06-24-15 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-24-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just booked with United instead. Thanks for the heads up people.
Old 06-24-15, 04:08 PM
Banned

Jesus. Never even heard of Spirit Airlines. Not that I would choose them anyway.
Old 06-24-15, 04:09 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This guy sums it up pretty well:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZCqhjwx4hQc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-24-15, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Jesus. Never even heard of Spirit Airlines. Not that I would choose them anyway.
Bitch please, we know you're a cheapskate. I distinctly recall you making a thread complaining about living expenses when yours are like what, $500 a month?
Old 06-24-15, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fly from my home town to NYC regularly on them. It's the Grey Hound of airlines. It's not pleasant but it's cheap and they usually get to there. When things go south though, they really so south. I fly Ryan Air and EasyJet so I'm use to it. I hate flying (even in first class) so I'm not happy at the airport to begin with anyway.
Old 06-24-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Bitch please, we know you're a cheapskate. I distinctly recall you making a thread complaining about living expenses when yours are like what, $500 a month?

Old 06-25-15, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
It was a pretty bad experience. Flights were on-time both ways, but the seats don't recline....
I'm uncertain why non-reclining seats is an issue. I *never* recline on *any* flight regardless of what class I'm sitting in. And like many other travelers, I resent it when the person in front of me reclines. There's little enough space between rows as it is, and it's a zero-sum game anyway... why steal space from the person behind me?

Edited to add:

Linky: http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/02/opinio...nes/index.html
There will be an uproar, you say, from passengers if airliners ban reclining seats? Not likely. A recent survey of 1,000 air travelers by travel search engine Skyscanner showed a whopping 91% would support banning reclining seats on short-distance flights. Some 43% percent even supported a reclining seat ban on long-haul flights.
Old 06-25-15, 04:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
A while back for sure. I'm a cheap motherfucker when it comes to apartments. Airlines though? if it's not a major airline, I ain't taking it.

Granted... my money troubles are done now.
Old 06-25-15, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
I'm uncertain why non-reclining seats is an issue. I *never* recline on *any* flight regardless of what class I'm sitting in. And like many other travelers, I resent it when the person in front of me reclines. There's little enough space between rows as it is, and it's a zero-sum game anyway... why steal space from the person behind me?

Edited to add:

Linky: http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/02/opinio...nes/index.html
That's a fair point. Honestly, I typically don't recline seats either (for the same reason you mention). I brought up the point from a functional perspective. I interpret it to mean Spirit keeps costs in check by procuring cheaper seats. I also typically keep the window shade closed, but would find it noteworthy if the plane didn't have any windows.
Old 06-25-15, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Non-reclining seats is about the only thing Spirit touts that I like. "Cozy" seating sounds like the plane is a sardine can. For all I fly, I'll pay extra for a major carrier or Southwest.
Old 06-25-15, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't mind people reclining their seats and I don't hesitate to recline mine either. I won't fly regular coach, though, so there's always more space between rows. It only takes an inch of recline to make it easier to sleep.
Old 06-25-15, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
I interpret it to mean Spirit keeps costs in check by procuring cheaper seats. I also typically keep the window shade closed, but would find it noteworthy if the plane didn't have any windows.
No, it's so they can crap 4 extra rows of seats into the airplane. It wouldn't be so bad if there was a little pitch but it's like school desks.