DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RIP Dick Van Patten

Gone at 86.

Old 06-23-15, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: RIP Dick Van Patten

Fun Dick Van Patten fact: he was one of the first people (if not the first person) to come to market with all-natural pet food. He spent the last 25 years of his life more or less retired from acting and being a pet food company CEO.
Old 06-23-15, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He has what got to be the worst password combination ever.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3KMNFNk_hvQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-23-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Eighty-Six is Enough?
Old 06-23-15, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

"If you label me, you negate me."

Dick Van Patten... or Kierkegaard

Old 06-23-15, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My personal DVP memory:

Decades ago, I was in the TWA Ambassador Club at LAX before an early morning flight home. I was sitting by myself at a large table, enjoying a coffee while reading the newspaper. Someone comes along and sits opposite me, and moments later I hear this HORRIBLE wet smacking sound... over and over... as whomever it was was clearly enjoying their Danish.

I peer over my newspaper. It's Dick Van Patten. "smack.. smack.. smack.." as he kept on chewing, his mouth open and bits of pastry falling out.

Not an image I can ever forget.
Old 06-23-15, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 06-23-15, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by dom56 View Post
He has what got to be the worst password combination ever.
One of my favorite scenes in Spaceballs.
I always loved it when he would randomly appear in Weird Al's music videos.
Old 06-23-15, 12:18 PM
RIP

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
My personal DVP memory:

Decades ago, I was in the TWA Ambassador Club at LAX before an early morning flight home. I was sitting by myself at a large table, enjoying a coffee while reading the newspaper. Someone comes along and sits opposite me, and moments later I hear this HORRIBLE wet smacking sound... over and over... as whomever it was was clearly enjoying their Danish.

I peer over my newspaper. It's Dick Van Patten. "smack.. smack.. smack.." as he kept on chewing, his mouth open and bits of pastry falling out.

That makes me lose all respect for him. One thing I will not tolerate from a human being is loud chewing. Disgusting.
Old 06-23-15, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Fun Dick Van Patten fact: he was one of the first people (if not the first person) to come to market with all-natural pet food. He spent the last 25 years of his life more or less retired from acting and being a pet food company CEO.
I buy his pet food
Old 06-23-15, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll always remember his comb-over.
Old 06-23-15, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Obviously, I'm familiar with him and know I've caught him in various roles, but his passing reminds me that I've never seen an episode of Eight is Enough.
Old 06-23-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Van Patten's earliest TV acting job was in a show called "Mama" (1949-57), based on "I Remember Mama," wherein he played Nels, a member of the family. Once he told the New York Post that in one season on that show, three different actors played the boyfriend of his character's sister. Those three actors were...Jack Lemmon, Paul Newman and James Dean!

The only problem with this story is that "Mama" doesn't show up in the IMDB credits of either of those actors. Which doesn't mean they weren't on that show. Although, conversely, just because IMDB is often incomplete, it doesn't mean that Van Patten's memory was correct. His path may have crossed with each of those actors in the early days of television but not necessarily on the same series and he just happened to conflate them in too good a story not to be told in the days before anyone could check on IMDB.
Old 06-23-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I think it was called Dickfood and I was still cautious giving it to my cat.
Old 06-23-15, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I buy his pet food
I buy his pet food too. His lamb and rice formula is the only food my dog will eat without getting the shits.

It's quality stuff.
Old 06-23-15, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
My personal DVP memory:

Ate is enough.
Old 06-23-15, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

RIP. He was like a father figure to me and if I had 7 brothers and sisters, them too.
Old 06-23-15, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by coral View Post
i'll always remember his comb-over.
+1
Old 06-23-15, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Penis Van Patten
Cock Van Patten
Pecker Van Patten
Weiner Van Patten
Willy Van Patten
Ding Dong Van Patten
Schmeckel Van Patten
Old 06-23-15, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It wasn't really all that good, but I remember from watching this when it first aired, it was good for a few laughs. DVP had a good role as Friar Tuck.

What I want to know is, where did Van Patten get his money? He lived in a mansion in Beverly Hills, and this was before his pet food venture. I know he worked all the time, but looking at his credits aside from 8IE and Mama (and WTWR), it was always as a guest star, and I don't know if that was enough for that type of lifestyle. He must have taken his early TV and Broadway money and invested it wisely.
Old 06-24-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Van Patten's earliest TV acting job was in a show called "Mama" (1949-57), based on "I Remember Mama," wherein he played Nels, a member of the family. Once he told the New York Post that in one season on that show, three different actors played the boyfriend of his character's sister. Those three actors were...Jack Lemmon, Paul Newman and James Dean!

The only problem with this story is that "Mama" doesn't show up in the IMDB credits of either of those actors. Which doesn't mean they weren't on that show. Although, conversely, just because IMDB is often incomplete, it doesn't mean that Van Patten's memory was correct. His path may have crossed with each of those actors in the early days of television but not necessarily on the same series and he just happened to conflate them in too good a story not to be told in the days before anyone could check on IMDB.
Here's my Trivia Nerd contribution for the day: the reason the cast of "Mama" can't be positively identified today is that the episodes were shot live, as was often the case with early television shows, so they no longer exist to be viewed.

EDITED TO ADD that until I was old enough to date, I usually watched "Eight is Enough" on Friday nights.
Old 06-24-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Here's my Trivia Nerd contribution for the day: the reason the cast of "Mama" can't be positively identified today is that the episodes were shot live, as was often the case with early television shows, so they no longer exist to be viewed.

EDITED TO ADD that until I was old enough to date, I usually watched "Eight is Enough" on Friday nights.
Looks like there's a few select episodes on Youtube. Someone somewhere somehow recorded them. I wonder if contacting the uploader would shed some light as to where to get more..
Old 06-24-15, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Even with this being true, there should have been records made of which actors were in which episodes, both by the production company or network and the actors' unions. The union(s) (I don't know if SAG or AFTRA or something else would have applied) would need this to determine benefits and eligibility to stay in the union, etc. Also the actors would likely put the episodes on their resume. Now whether this information still exists, I don't know, but I would strongly suspect that it was recorded at the time.

According to Wikipedia, the last (1956-57) season was shot on film, and all 26 of these episodes exist. The previous seasons were broadcast live on the east coast and kinescoped for broadcast to the west coast; most (but not all) of these kinescopes are lost today.
Old 06-24-15, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone reached out to Grant Goodeve?
Old 06-24-15, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1tincTKPfpw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Because you all wanted to hear the cheeseball theme song and hear Grant Goodeve singing.

You know you're old when you realize that most of the cast who played the "Kids" are now senior citizens.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.