Reload this Page >

selling a car - can't find title

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-20-15, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

edit: see below...title found but whats next?

original post: someone just came up to our door wanting to buy our car sitting outside our house.

after some talking we agreed to sell, but we cant find the title so far. its in my wifes name and she bought it many years before we were married.

what is our next step? i assume the DMV has handled situations like this before. do we need to have the title in hand before the transactions can be finalized?

edit: do we remove and keep the current plates or does he take them as well?

edit: found it! now what? if we sign the title over to him, is the deal done? anything else I need to be wary of?

Last edited by atari2600; 06-20-15 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-20-15, 10:20 PM
Banned

Re: selling a car - can't find title

Did you have the car advertised for sale or did this guy just randomly knock on your door asking to buy it? The story sounds like the latter which is just weird.
Old 06-20-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
Did you have the car advertised for sale or did this guy just randomly knock on your door asking to buy it? The story sounds like the latter which is just weird.
not advertised. his story was he had a deal with a craigs list guy which fell through and they saw our unused car (same neighborhood) and wanted to buy it.

he has already paid me in cash so I dont think there is much of a scam going on...but I could be wrong.
Old 06-20-15, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just went to the DMV and got a copy, I think.
Old 06-20-15, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

two more questions:

(1) her name on the title is her maiden name. should she fill it the title transfer form with her new name or the old name?

(2) her address on the title is also not our current address - does this matter at all?
Old 06-20-15, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by atari2600 View Post
not advertised. his story was he had a deal with a craigs list guy which fell through and they saw our unused car (same neighborhood) and wanted to buy it.

he has already paid me in cash so I dont think there is much of a scam going on...but I could be wrong.
Unused?
Old 06-20-15, 11:44 PM
Suspended

Dude, you are thinking way too much into this. The guys at DMV get paid two dollar above minimum wage. They don't check everything. Just ask your wife sign it with her married name/maiden name, current/old address, it doesn't make a lick of difference. Patty & Selma at DMV only cares the fields are filled out on the title so they can issue a new one. You keep the old plate. They can't transfer the plate with the new title. Patty & Selma do these hundreds of times everyday. They care more about their cigarette breaks than anything else
Old 06-21-15, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Update: buyer scoped out the OP's house during this fiasco. House has been burglarized, OP is dead. And in other news, Nick Dawgy has just bought a used car ...
Old 06-21-15, 10:34 AM
Banned

This happened to my dad with his truck a few times. He's retired and drives it a few times a month as they drive moms news care more often so the truck site in the driveway. I always assumed this was some type of scam. Why go door to door assuming people want for sell their cars?
Old 06-21-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

In California you leave the plates on. Once title is signed over be sure the buyer takes it to the dmv.
Old 06-21-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This happened to my grandfather years ago. A man saw his car parked in the driveway and wanted to buy it. My grandfather did sell it, the car was getting older. I think some people just see a car and want it, even if it is owned by someone else.
Old 06-21-15, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Unused?
yes. it had been just sitting in front of our house for awhile. its our 3rd car and was used very rarely.
Old 06-21-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SuperJim88 View Post
Dude, you are thinking way too much into this. The guys at DMV get paid two dollar above minimum wage. They don't check everything. Just ask your wife sign it with her married name/maiden name, current/old address, it doesn't make a lick of difference. Patty & Selma at DMV only cares the fields are filled out on the title so they can issue a new one. You keep the old plate. They can't transfer the plate with the new title. Patty & Selma do these hundreds of times everyday. They care more about their cigarette breaks than anything else
ok good to know. thanks.

my main concern is I dont want my wife to be liable for anything that happens after it is sold. I want to be sure her name is completely off of the car.

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Update: buyer scoped out the OP's house during this fiasco. House has been burglarized, OP is dead. And in other news, Nick Dawgy has just bought a used car ...
still alive for now!

Originally Posted by Cardiackid75 View Post
This happened to my dad with his truck a few times. He's retired and drives it a few times a month as they drive moms news care more often so the truck site in the driveway. I always assumed this was some type of scam. Why go door to door assuming people want for sell their cars?
before yesterday, I actually had a guy leave a note on that car twice in the last 6 months asking to buy it.

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
In California you leave the plates on. Once title is signed over be sure the buyer takes it to the dmv.
how do I make sure he submits the form to the DMV afterwards?
Old 06-21-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have an auto title agency, go there and do it. I "found out" about title agencies a few years ago. It doesn't cost much. They'll ignore or bypass the bureaucracy, and you'll be on your way in ten minutes. Drive the car you're selling. Tell them about your wife's maiden name. They'll have you out in ten minutes. Only downside is it might cost you $30-or-so for service.
Old 06-21-15, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by atari2600 View Post
my main concern is I dont want my wife to be liable for anything that happens after it is sold. I want to be sure her name is completely off of the car.
In California, the seller sends the DMV a Release of Liability form that basically says you sold the car and you will no longer be held liable for anything regarding that car. I imagine every state has a similar procedure.
Old 06-22-15, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Do not give them your plates, it is their responsibility to get new ones.
Old 06-22-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post
In California, the seller sends the DMV a Release of Liability form that basically says you sold the car and you will no longer be held liable for anything regarding that car. I imagine every state has a similar procedure.
Correct.
Old 06-26-15, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

finally sold it. found the title, filled it out and mailed it in.

hope that ends the transaction.