Reload this Page >

Soft knee brace/sleeve - Effective?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-16-15, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I play tennis, my left knee occasionally locks up when I plant/turn/push off to go to my right. Vigorous shaking of the leg "unlocks" it, but I have to stop playing at that point. Ice/Tylenol for a few days does the trick. Doesn't happen very often (first time this year yesterday) since I took measures to strengthen muscles around the knee. My guess is I have I partially torn meniscus, or a bit of it is loose.

They sell basic neoprene sleeves at the drug store, but my guess is these are no more effective than physio tape. From "googling", I saw some more expensive ones with straps, and this one which seems to be the best:

http://www.amazon.com/Bauerfeind-Kne.../dp/B0053VE7VY

Anyone with a similar issue use a soft knee brace/sleeve? Are these effective to provide lateral stability? Which one would you recommend?
Old 06-16-15, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Soft knee brace/sleeve - Effective?

After I hurt my knee snowboarding, I used a similar brace to finish out the season. It helped with pain, and my knee was not as fatigued when I was done during the day. My wife uses a similar brace when doing anything exerting (hiking, biking, boarding, etc.), and claims it helps her get through it with minimal discomfort.

A doctor would tell you best, though.
Old 06-16-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 out of 5 doctors recommend application of urinary excretions to the intergluteal cleft
Old 06-16-15, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have pain, except when it happens (locks) and roughly 24 hours after. So I need a brace that offers lateral stability to prevent this "locking". Anyway, I went to a specialized orthotics place this afternoon and got an evaluation. Tried a couple of braces with soft hinges (level 2 support) and one of them was pretty comfortable but (gasp) $200. The chick said "but if you get a prescription, you don't have to pay taxes!". Ok sure! I'll come back then!

At least I got a free consultation. And then I found something similar on Amazon for $45

http://www.amazon.ca/McDavid-Ligamen...Q4MZHSEX20T9YZ

I'll give that a shot before spending $200...