Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Apparently my stuff's not worth stealing

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-08-15, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone went through my cars last night or early this morning. The cars were parked on my driveway and I don't lock the doors. Came out this morning and found a passenger door on the 4Runner and driver door on the G8 were ajar. The thief rifled through the consoles and glove compartments. I think they were only looking for cash and/or $$$ items. Both cars had kleenex packages that were pulled out; I assume the thief was looking for stuff hidden inside the containers. I didn't notice anything missing. He/she left behind GPS units, tactical flashlight and a Leatherman.
Old 06-08-15, 09:37 AM
Banned

Re: Apparently my stuff's not worth stealing

Why the fuck don't you lock your car?
Old 06-08-15, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I used to, when I lived in an apartment. Thieves used a screwdriver to punch out the lock.
Old 06-08-15, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was thinking the same thing. Takes no effort whatsoever to do.
Old 06-08-15, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Years ago someone stole my son's Nikes out of our car. My car was unlocked, so that was the extent of our loss--70 bucks in shoes. My neighbors car was locked and he had all his windows broken. I do lock my car now, but it doesn't always matter.

Best thing is to not have anything in car.
Old 06-08-15, 09:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
I used to, when I lived in an apartment. Thieves used a screwdriver to punch out the lock.
So why don't you though? Like...it's probably the most minimal of effort to lock a car. Hell... it's harder to lock your home's door than it is to lock the car.
Old 06-08-15, 10:01 AM

So why don't you though? Like...it's probably the most minimal of effort to lock a car. Hell... it's harder to lock your home's door than it is to lock the car.
He just answered you.

In certain areas, say around many large universities, the thieves are going to get in your vehicle regardless. If you lock the car, you will also get broken windows and/or damaged locks and doors. If you don't lock them, you will just lose whatever may be in the car. They generally aren't stealing the car itself.
Old 06-08-15, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before we got married, my wife and I lived in an apartment for a while. We kept our cars locked. Mine was kept in our covered carport, and my wife's (then girlfriend) car was kept in a space right up front which we could see from our door.

My wife drove a shitty old Honda, and didn't keep much in her car. One night it was raining, and from our door, we noticed that the passenger side window was open. When we got closer, we noticed that the window was not left open, but was in fact shattered, and her CD Player (not even a very good one) was stolen.

We called the cops, but we were basically told that it had happened to several cars in the area recently, and it was probably just some kids, and slim chance we would see it again.

Insurance replaced the window but not the CD player. We moved out when our lease was up.
Old 06-08-15, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend that lives in a not-so-great neighborhood with alot of car breakins. He has a crappy car and takes his faceplate and GPS in with him at night, but leaves a few bucks in the center console and the doors unlocked. He says its cheaper than paying for new windows, which he has repeatedly.
Old 06-08-15, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I have a friend that lives in a not-so-great neighborhood with alot of car breakins. He has a crappy car and takes his faceplate and GPS in with him at night, but leaves a few bucks in the center console and the doors unlocked. He says its cheaper than paying for new windows, which he has repeatedly.
The ghost of Sean Taylor?
Old 06-08-15, 10:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
He just answered you.

In certain areas, say around many large universities, the thieves are going to get in your vehicle regardless. If you lock the car, you will also get broken windows and/or damaged locks and doors. If you don't lock them, you will just lose whatever may be in the car. They generally aren't stealing the car itself.
he did. I just thought he repaired that.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 06-08-15 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-08-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I left my car unlocked this one time. Next morning I got up to find a family of Guatamalan refugees living in it. Never again.
Old 06-08-15, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Years ago I exited my apartment one morning and walked across the parking lot to my car. Lots of stuff on the ground that looked very familiar. I had left the sunroof of my car partially open and they found a way to use that to get into my car. They did so because I had left my wallet in the console in full view. Dumb thing to do.

Interesting thing was what was taken and not. Wallet gone, leather jacket, gone. This was back when I used cassette tapes for listing to music in the car. They went through and took the ones the ones they wanted and left the rest. The tapes they didn't want was some of the stuff all over the parking lot. But it was an expensive case and that was gone.

I contacted the cops, and in a very rare turn of events, I got all my stuff back. They got caught pulling a job in the back of the same apartment complex and my stuff was in their big Santa bag of goodies they had picked up that day.
Old 06-08-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Way back when, someone stole 150 CD's from my accidently unlocked car. That was fucking devastating. This was before digital music. I paid $10-$15ea for those. So much of my teenage years income. Some crackhead probably pawned them for $.50ea. I made a snarky letter for the thief, posted it to Ebay and sold the empty cases for $50-or-so. Got some mini-fame for the listing.

I frequently leave my car (a 2002 Cavalier) unlocked within nothing inside. The chance of someone stealing the car is so minimal out here the suburbs. The chance of someone breaking a window and costing me $500 to repair is more likely.

Plus the locks are manual and I don't like walking around to check all the time.
Old 06-08-15, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
This was back when I used cassette tapes for listing to music in the car. They went through and took the ones the ones they wanted and left the rest. The tapes they didn't want was some of the stuff all over the parking lot. But it was an expensive case and that was gone.
They get your Creedence?
Old 06-08-15, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
I left my car unlocked this one time. Next morning I got up to find a family of Guatamalan refugees living in it. Never again.
You're lucky Dirty Mike and the Boys didn't have a "soup kitchen" in there.
Old 06-08-15, 12:34 PM
Suspended

So apparently hotwiring a car is harder than what the movies tell you? Who would've thought?
Old 06-08-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
He/she left behind GPS units, tactical flashlight and a Leatherman.
Why do you make him sleep in your car?

Old 06-08-15, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
I contacted the cops, and in a very rare turn of events, I got all my stuff back. They got caught pulling a job in the back of the same apartment complex and my stuff was in their big Santa bag of goodies they had picked up that day.
That's awesome, and indeed very rare.
Old 06-08-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I always tried hard to suspend my disbelief when watching a film when I saw that after 1 or 2 tries, someone finds an unlocked car...I guess I don't have to do that anymore.
Old 06-08-15, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Why do you make him sleep in your car?

So what search phrase did you use to find that?
Old 06-08-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

locking a car keeps opportunistic people out, not theives

Depends on where you are and what you are worried about. I lock my car, but I also make sure to NEVER keep anything of value in sight and I wipe off the suction cup mark from my GPS

my car has been broken into 3 to 4 times in 15 years, it happens, only small stuff missing.

My wife who never locks her car (can't remember too) has lost tons of things out of her cars over the years....
Old 06-08-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
They get your Creedence?
Huh?

But no, I didn't get into CCR until I started buying CD's. The stuff they did take was all R&B and they left all the Hard Rock and Metal. I could assume something based on that, but I never actually was privy to the details on who broke into my car since they had already caught them.

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
That's awesome, and indeed very rare.
I called the main number of our local station and was immediately transferred to a specific detective. He asked me to describe the things I thought were missing and then told me everything I named was there and waiting for me at the station. That included all the cash in my wallet since they never went though the wallet, just grabbed along with everything else.

I had everything back an hour later. When I was there to pick it all up the detective told me the whole story, including how the responding officers drove up as he was going through the contents of another car and then tried to flee with the Santa bag of goodies. Apparently another neighbor noticed these guys scoping cars and called them in.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 06-08-15 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-08-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These days we just keep both cars in our garage. If I had to leave them out I might consider the same no lock policy as the others. What they are saying is very true.
Old 06-08-15, 01:53 PM

Another reason I don't lock my cars is that I live in a nice neighborhood. About the biggest issue is the obnoxious teenagers riding on the street in their ATV with no muffler. Until this morning, property crime in my neighborhood wasn't something I gave much thought.

I do lock the car when I park in a public lot, like the shopping mall parking lot. The assumption is that with so many cars to choose from, if it is locked, they will just go to another car rather than make any effort to get into mine.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.