Reload this Page >

Go call your mom

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Go call your mom

Old 06-07-15, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go call your mom

Hey guys. Go call your moms. Like now. For no reason. Just because. I just lost my mom Friday after a battle with liver failure and sepsis. She tried as hard as she could and I was grateful I was able to tell her I loved her before they sedated her. So for me, an internet stranger, go call mom. She may not be there tomorrow.
Old 06-07-15, 09:03 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Go call your mom

So sorry to hear. Prayers for your family Rex. Calling Mom now....
Old 06-07-15, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So sorry for your loss. Wonderful that you got to tell her that. I'm very close to my mom, and will seeing her in just a little bit.
Old 06-07-15, 09:52 AM
Banned

I'm good. I talk to her like 3 or 4 times a week.

Sucks about the OP's mum though. I know when my mum goes, I'll have to handle the fallout of all that.
Old 06-07-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My condolences about your mother.

My mother just sent me an email saying that she's thinking of moving here to Albuquerque. Hmm. I've been happy to have her living ten hours away.
Old 06-07-15, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So sorry for your loss. My mom was diagnosed with cancer at the end of last year. Her treatment has been going pretty well, but I know she will not be there forever. It was a real wake-up call for me and I have been making the effort to talk with her as often as I can.
Old 06-07-15, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about your mom. Glad you were there for her.

Mine passed away last year. We had trouble through the years getting along and we weren't speaking at the time she died.
Old 06-07-15, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very sorry about your loss.

Mother's day should be celebrated every day of the year.
Old 06-07-15, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry to hear about your mom. My mom passed away the day before this Easter.
Old 06-07-15, 12:46 PM
Banned

sorry about your loss.
Old 06-07-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sorry for your loss, Rex.
Old 06-07-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry for your loss

Its my mothers birthday today....I took my parents out for dinner on Friday night to celebrate.
Old 06-07-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sorry for your loss.

My mom passed away a bit over 5 years ago. It is still tough for me to deal with at times. So, I definitely second the fact that everyone who is able to should call their moms today.
Old 06-07-15, 01:21 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry for your loss, Rex.
Old 06-07-15, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm so sorry for your loss, Rex. My mom died in October, and for months, I would wake up most mornings and reach for the phone to call her only to remember I couldn't anymore. I do agree call and spend time with your family now, because things change so quickly.
Old 06-07-15, 01:40 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Very sorry for your loss. Very tragic.

My Mom passed away 25 years ago when I was just 10. It was a sudden death - she was in hospital for a routine operation an developed a blood clot. I still remember the call my Dad got the morning it happened.

Take nothing for granted in this life
Old 06-07-15, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has been gone for eleven years. I'm so sorry for your loss. And I agree. I would give anything to talk to her just one more time.
Old 06-07-15, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm very sorry about your loss, Rex. At least you were able to tell her you loved her. That's a small comfort now, but I think it will mean more when you remember your mom in the future. Stay strong.
Old 06-07-15, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry for your loss, Rex.

Reminders about the brevity of life are all around us. It's something to keep in mind with all relationships. I try to resolve issues I have with others quickly for this reason.
Old 06-07-15, 03:29 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry Rex. I agree 100% I lost my father over 12 years ago and there isn't a day that goes by that I wish I could hear/talk to him.

Now, I know a lot of people have issues with their parents (and I understand that) but we all only get one shot at this, when they're gone, they're gone. Am I perfect, be no means... but, just yesterday (Saturday) I called my mom... she asked if anything was wrong and I said "no, just out running errands, and I wanted to tell you that I love you" I could almost hear her crying. At that moment that meant more to me than anything in the world, I say this as a husband and a father, I hope my kids do the same to me one day.

I feel for you Rex... preach on brother. There's so much in this world we take for granted. I'm pretty sure you understand this more now than anybody here. There's nothing any one of us can say to you to change the situation. Just know that we are here for you.
Old 06-07-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Condolences on your loss, Rex.
Old 06-07-15, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Terribly sorry to hear that. I know how hard it is to lose a parent. Lost dad last November. Mom is still with us. We just got done moving mom into an in-law apt. at my sister's house. My brother-in-law must be going for sainthood.

I talk to my mother at least every other day. My wife went over to take her out to lunch today. We have a good relationship, but its very sad. She has Parkinsons, bad eyes and a host of other issues on top of being depressed over the loss of my father. They just snuck in their 60th anniversary before he passed. Basically she just wants to be with him again even if its on the mantle in a box. I think her passing won't bother me as much as his knowing she wants to be with him.
Old 06-07-15, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man View Post
Hey guys. Go call your moms. Like now. For no reason. Just because. I just lost my mom Friday after a battle with liver failure and sepsis. She tried as hard as she could and I was grateful I was able to tell her I loved her before they sedated her. So for me, an internet stranger, go call mom. She may not be there tomorrow.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I still remember getting the call -- Sunday, September 30, 2001. My Dad called me to tell me my Mom had passed away, completely unexpectedly, in the middle of the night.

At the time, I was living in Chicago and my parents in DC. I talked to them on the phone every Sunday night. I still remember thinking, earlier that morning, "It's Sunday! I'll get to talk to Mom and Dad tonight!"

Whether it's your Mom, your Dad, a sibling, a dear friend -- we are all only given so many hours on this Earth and none of us knows when they will run out. Don't put things off, and especially don't put off telling the people you care about that you care about them.
Old 06-07-15, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My condolences Rex. Having lost Mom suddenly, I never got that final opportunity, but I talked/visited with her very often, so it's not like it was never said. However, I've since thought of all the things I never did have a chance to talk about/finish talking about, things never done for her that I could/should have done/thought of while she was here.

Same with my Dad. Although, after Mom passed, we had 15 months together before he passed where we became even closer. However, with Mom being gone days shy of 11 years and Dad gone 10 years this fall, I must echo the OP's sentiment. So many times, to this day, I'll be doing something and the thought comes to mind "Oh, I'll ask Dad" or "I should tell Mom" or I instantly remember they're gone because of a trigger. Wish I had them here just one more day to do/share things that I missed the opportunity to because they were gone much sooner than they should have been.
Old 06-07-15, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My heart goes out to you Rex and your family. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.