Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Jacksonville high school finds out student is gay, bans him from musical awards show

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Jacksonville high school finds out student is gay, bans him from musical awards show

Old 06-05-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://m.news4jax.com/news/christian...g-gay/33410906

Christian school allegedly bans student for being gay

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — A local high school student said his Christian school is discriminating against him because he’s gay, and he’s taken to an online petition to fight back.

Bryce Goodson said that he came out as gay on Twitter and the next day was told by school officials at Providence High School not to attend or participate in a school function.

The petition reads, <mark>“Shortly after I came out as gay on Twitter, I was contacted by a teacher and was told that the Providence School Board decided it would be unwise for me to attend the Pony Awards (the awards ceremony for our school musical, Little Women).”</mark> The petition has a goal of 1,000 signatures and as of Thursday had more than 400 signatures.

Goodson said that he’s no longer enrolled at Providence High School and declined an interview. His father said despite the online petition they’re not commenting at this point.

“I’m aware of it. We’re waiting on some feedback from Providence. Obviously (we are unhappy), we’ve had students there for two kids for 12 years. (We’re) quite surprised with their behavior on the issue,” Ed Goodson, Bryce Goodson’s father, said.

Bryce Goodson wrote that he created the petition because, “I want to make anyone else at Providence who is gay or questioning feel at least somewhat more confident in who they are.”

Officials at the school declined an on-camera interview, but the head of school, Dr. Julie Giardino, said they are not aware of the petition but did say, “We would act in our statement of faith and mission statement. <mark>Providence School, in partnership with home and church, is committed to disciple students to boldly model Christ-likeness.</mark> We hold the state of marriage to be an expression of a Biblical standard and the union between a man and a woman.”
<hr>

I may have missed which book in the New Testament had Jesus Christ boldly throw out a child out of school. Perhaps someone here can help.

Stay classy, Duval.
Old 06-05-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Jacksonville high school finds out student is gay, bans him from musical awards s

Florida never disappoints.
Old 06-05-15, 03:38 PM
Banned

Re: Jacksonville high school finds out student is gay, bans him from musical awards s

What is the goal of the petition?
Old 06-05-15, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Doesn't surprise me, it's a Christian school in the south. I'm in Jville and live next to two such schools, though they actually have been doing stuff to counter a shitty hateful church in the area.

I'll have to look into New Life Christian Fellowship Church, see how shitty they actually are.
Old 06-05-15, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They banned a gay kid from an awards show for a musical? What's next, banning fat kids from the lunchroom? It's a slippery slope.
Old 06-05-15, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no room for a gay kids at a musical theater awards ceremony that's as masculine as The Ponies.
Old 06-05-15, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
They banned a gay kid from an awards show for a musical? What's next, banning fat kids from the lunchroom? It's a slippery slope.
Don't you basically have to presume that all the kids are gay in the musical?
Old 06-05-15, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
I may have missed which book in the New Testament had Jesus Christ boldly throw out a child out of school. Perhaps someone here can help.
As Tom Brokow would say in his news segment, "In His Own Words"...
Shortly after I came out as gay on Twitter, I was contacted by a teacher and was told that the Providence School Board decided it would be unwise for me to attend the Pony Awards (the award ceremony for our school musical, Little Women). They "highly suggested" that I refrain from showing up at the event. However, this action was taken after I had graduated from Providence, and therefore the school had no right in interceding in my actions. The handbook states that "Providence School reserves the right to discipline for both on-campus and off-campus misbehavior during the time students possess official enrollee status." I no longer was an enrollee. Also, the handbook outlines "social exclusion or isolation" as a form of bullying, and that is exactly what the Board did to me. I make this petition in hopes of gathering support and showing Providence how poorly they handled the situation. The Board did not emulate the love that Christians are supposed to stand for.

I am writing a letter to Providence to express my grievances and disappointment, and I would like to show them with this petition that I am supported by many other people. I want to make anyone else at Providence who is gay or questioning feel at least somewhat more confident in who they are. Thank you.
http://www.towleroad.com/2015/06/chr...ut-as-gay.html
Old 06-05-15, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It often goes about, as to what is the true definition of irony ...
Old 06-05-15, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
As Tom Brokow would say in his news segment, "In His Own Words"...http://www.towleroad.com/2015/06/chr...ut-as-gay.html
Well, he argues that the handbook doesn't apply to him because he's not an enrollee, and then accuses the school of violating the handbook by bullying him. That's called playing both sides friend.

Also, this is stupid for all of the reasons above. If Jesus loves everyone, he loves gays too. It's like logic escapes these people sometimes.
Old 06-05-15, 05:02 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
If Jesus loves everyone, he loves gays too. It's like logic escapes these people sometimes.
No no no... he loves the gays, he just doesn't want them anywhere near him or his people.

/s

Just like I LOVE raisins, but if you put them in any type of food dish near me, including breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks, desserts, etc., you can go fuck yourself.
Old 06-05-15, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this a private school? If so why the hell would he enroll in a private school which he knows won't agree with his values? It's like singing up for a gym and being outraged they don't serve beer and pizza.
Old 06-05-15, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Well, he argues that the handbook doesn't apply to him because he's not an enrollee, and then accuses the school of violating the handbook by bullying him. That's called playing both sides friend.
So he could be bisexual?
Old 06-05-15, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I attended a Christian school my last two years of high school. At graduation I was awarded the certificate for Best Girl Citizen in the school and was voted Most School Service in the senior class because I had been very active in student council and was the editor of the school yearbook that year (I am also proud to note that when the school closed its doors in 2006 and they had a display of the yearbooks going back to its beginning in 1975, the one I led the staff for was clearly the best and the ONLY hardcover yearbook ever published by the school.)

Anyhoo, let's suffice it to say that I was not invited to any reunions until my 25th in 2008, after the school authorities were no longer involved in arranging them.

EDITED TO ADD that because of what I had gone through before my parents put me in the private school, even though all of my classmates and I joke about Book of Mormon memorizations and the constant scrutiny we underwent to make sure we were "morally clean" and whatnot ... that school saved me, because it provided sanctuary for me from the kind of public school experience I'd had (the short version: bullying in the extreme) and gave me friends who rejected me in my twenties and are now all back in my life in my forties because they've figured out that I do not, in fact, have horns.
Old 06-05-15, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Is this a private school? If so why the hell would he enroll in a private school which he knows won't agree with his values? It's like singing up for a gym and being outraged they don't serve beer and pizza.
I'd say most kids don't have a say in what school their parents enroll them in. It's possible he wasn't "out" yet at the time too, or knew himself at the time.
Old 06-05-15, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I'd say most kids don't have a say in what school their parents enroll them in. It's possible he wasn't "out" yet at the time too, or knew himself at the time.
There is also the dirty little secret that many Christian churches and schools don't discriminate against gays. So unless there is something specifically written *no gays allowed* there is actually nothing in place that says as much no matter what games people try and play after the fact.
Old 06-05-15, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to Catholic school for K-5, not because my parents were particularly religious, but mainly because the public schools in my area sucked. There were kids who weren't even Catholic enrolled there, for the same reason.

We moved to an area with a good school district that summer and I went to public school the rest of the way.
Old 06-05-15, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I see the problem. Jesus loves gays but he doesn't have a Twitter account
Old 06-05-15, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
There is also the dirty little secret that many Christian churches and schools don't discriminate against gays. So unless there is something specifically written *no gays allowed* there is actually nothing in place that says as much no matter what games people try and play after the fact.
That's a good point.

Seems like there's money to be made here. A chain of Christian private schools that cater to the gay community. I shall start the "Mary's Fairies High School". Why does it take a Jew to come up with this stuff? And now, if you'll excuse me, I need to work on a good mascot.
Old 06-05-15, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
http://m.news4jax.com/news/christian...g-gay/33410906 <hr> I may have missed which book in the New Testament had Jesus Christ boldly throw out a child out of school. Perhaps someone here can help. Stay classy, Duval.
I missed the part where Jesus said to persecute people and be prejudiced and narrow-minded, but maybe that's just me. I ways thought he talked about loving other people and doing unto them as you would have them do to you. Is it legal for them to do this? Can't the legal system do anything about it? How is it any of their fucking business what he does with his genitals? Would they extend the same foolish treatment if they'd found out he's participated in premarital heterosexual sex? Even if you do hold that gay people shouldn't get married, which is idiotic, what the hell does that have to do with a student accepting an award?
Old 06-05-15, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post

Why does it take a Jew to come up with this stuff?
"Seems like there's money to be made here."

Duh!
Old 06-05-15, 08:51 PM

He should confess to molesting some younger kids, then the church and school will embrace him with open arms.
Old 06-05-15, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I went to Catholic school for K-5, not because my parents were particularly religious, but mainly because the public schools in my area sucked. There were kids who weren't even Catholic enrolled there, for the same reason.
Most religious schools will take anybody whose check doesn't bounce.
Old 06-06-15, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I am Catholic, but that's a large part of the reason my parents sent me. The quality of the education I received was very high. They're so please now that I haven't done anything with it. Either we were largely free of scandals, or I was just blissfully unaware of them. If you think my wishy-washy morality is annoying now, it was 100 times worse back then, so I had blinders on to everything. So yeah, some stuff probably happened under my radar there too.
Old 06-06-15, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Coming Out at a Christian school.

What did this person expect.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.