Reload this Page >

Any recommendations for storage sheds?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-25-15, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a shed. Too much crap in the garage. I don't have room for a big one but need to be able to store the lawn mower, snow blower, generator, off season tires, yard tools etc.

I can build it myself from a kit but with a pool deck still to build don't have time for one from scratch.

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 05-25-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Any recommendatiosn for storage sheds?

Costco? Bought a plastic one there years ago, it's holding up very well.
Old 05-25-15, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, my in-laws bought one of those plastic/resin ones from either costco or sam's club many years ago and it's held up to the hot summers here very well. . i think they've had it for like 5 or 6 years.
Old 05-25-15, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought one of the kits from Lowes a few years back. So far it's held up great, and was not a big deal to put together. I believe this is the most recent version of it available:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_496841-43998...t=saltbox+shed

Kept pretty much to the plan, but I did add a 3/4" plywood floor, and replaced the 3 pieces of 12' run, which they piece together with 2 6' 2x3s, with 12' 2x4 instead.
Old 05-25-15, 06:14 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

forget the kits. hire a contractor to build one from real materials, not particle board, etc. you'll pay a little more, but you won't have to replace it in a couple of years.
Old 05-25-15, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
forget the kits. hire a contractor to build one from real materials, not particle board, etc. you'll pay a little more, but you won't have to replace it in a couple of years.
The plastic ones hold up very well and cost quite a bit less than you would pay someone to build one for you. As I stated above, my in laws have one that has lasted for years in the Arizona summer heat.
Old 05-25-15, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, I'd recommend a plastic one, too. They hold up really well to environmental conditions. Zero maintenance.

They're also easy to put together, and you don't have to hire a contractor to build it, so there's that.
Old 05-25-15, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree on the plastic storage. I have one from several years ago that has held up to cold/hot very well. Just hose it out if it gets dirty.
Old 05-26-15, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My parents have this.

http://www.tuffshed.com/

They had this one installed.

http://www.tuffshed.com/products_pri...R&TabID=Prices
Old 05-26-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
I hate hiring a contractor for something I can do myself. I just have too many things on my to-do list this year.

We have a double garage with a 6 x 10 bump-out on the side for storage. I contacted a contractor about extending that bump-out the length of the garage which would make it 6 x 20. He wanted $11,000 for basically 60 square feet. I'm thinking for $500 - $1000 I can get the same storage just not as convenient.
Old 05-26-15, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Any recommendations for storage sheds?

SSG Honeylamb and I replaced the old metal shed in my back yard last summer. I paid to have the concrete patio replaced and enlarged; she paid for a new--and larger--shed. She still owns the shed as far as I am concerned even though she lives around the block now. She wanted it to store her motorcycle in over the winters. We bought it through Home Depot and it was probably a few thousand, not a cheapie at all. What I would suggest is, buy a bigger one than you think you're going to need. I nagged her to upsize and she's been glad in retrospect because once she had this shiny new shed, she found other stuff she could use it to store.
Old 05-26-15, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Bought one of the kits from Lowes a few years back. So far it's held up great, and was not a big deal to put together. I believe this is the most recent version of it available:

Kept pretty much to the plan, but I did add a 3/4" plywood floor, and replaced the 3 pieces of 12' run, which they piece together with 2 6' 2x3s, with 12' 2x4 instead.
I built a similar kit from the same company last summer. Mine was the 8'x8' Belmont model http://www.lowes.com/pd_496842-43998...=50115705&pl=1

Not counting the time it took to level the ground and build a base (I placed mine on a set of 1'x1' piers rather than a concrete slab), I think it took just a bit more than 24 hours of construction time. This includes the time it takes to paint the pieces (panels & trim) which do come pre-primed. For the most part, construction was very straight forward and simple. You can do most of the work solo, but I'd recommend a second set of hands when it comes time to erect the walls and install the roof panels.

Materials and quality are great. I'm very satisfied and don't have any complaints. I much prefer the look and versatility of tradtional materials over the vinyl/plastic/steel shed options. I love that I can customize the interior with whatever hooks/shelves I want and am not restricted to options that connect to a plastic wall system.

However, when comparing pricing to the vinyl/steel options, remember to factor in costs for a roof (about $100 for shingles/roofing materials) and $100 for the floor (it does not come with mdf for the floor). Maybe another $50-100 for paint, depending if you spend extra to go two-tone vs. monotone. I think I used 1-gallon of paint for the walls and got by with 1-pint for the trim pieces (2-coats on everything). I also spent about $200 for my foundation materials (4x4's, concrete footers, landscape fabric and some bags of pea gravel).
Old 05-26-15, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
I hate hiring a contractor for something I can do myself. I just have too many things on my to-do list this year.
That's another definition of something you can't do yourself. Neil DeGrasse Tyson could build his own shed, but he has better things to do with his time.
Old 05-26-15, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Any recommendations for storage sheds?

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
SSG Honeylamb and I replaced the old metal shed in my back yard last summer. I paid to have the concrete patio replaced and enlarged; she paid for a new--and larger--shed. She still owns the shed as far as I am concerned even though she lives around the block now. She wanted it to store her motorcycle in over the winters. We bought it through Home Depot and it was probably a few thousand, not a cheapie at all. What I would suggest is, buy a bigger one than you think you're going to need. I nagged her to upsize and she's been glad in retrospect because once she had this shiny new shed, she found other stuff she could use it to store.
I have a small back yard so whether i put it next to the house or in the back corner I'm limited in size. Although i will admit that no matter how big I got it I could fill it up very quickly
Old 05-26-15, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by emanon View Post

Did that exact unit 4 years ago or so. I didn't replace the floor with plywood, but I wish I would have. Not that the floor has had any issues so far other than some minor wear at the door edge, but it's easily the place I'm most concerned about in terms of durability. I can always lay some down if the need arises.

I didn't actually add that much except some metal bracing for the floor framing and few treated 2x6 to make a ramp. I also replaced the door latch because the cheap one included was rusted within a few weeks.

Milwaukee Mike's advice is great. I didn't spend that much on landscaping. Just 12-15 concrete blocks for the foundation. Also, based on my uncle's advice I placed the blocks on pieces of 2" styrofoam which he said would help prevent issues with frost heaves.

I used 1 gallon of paint for the walls, a quart for the trim (2 coats on each) and another gallon for the floor and frame, that particle board floor really soaks it up. I painted the floor and frame before building the rest of the shed on top.

All told it cost maybe $1300-1400 and a weekend or two. I did it almost all by myself except the parts Mike mentioned. The building part was easy. Honestly the hardest part was getting the foundation blocks all level since it was on a moderate grade.