Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

So your boss hates you....

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Your boss hates your guts...
eat shit & work harder
4.76%
eat shit & work less
9.52%
quit
61.90%
raise hell
23.81%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-15, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... and it is a known fact by you and other employees, who
-screws you out of your annual incentive every year.
-keeps handwritten notes of your supposed "mistakes"
-talks about you behind your back to other employees
-gives authority over you to a new employee who has the same title as you who is working there 1/4 of the time you have.
...but you believe you give 100% at the job. Do you...

Last edited by JZ1276; 05-20-15 at 03:10 AM.
Old 05-20-15, 04:34 AM
Banned

Re: So your boss hates you....

How much is the annual incentive? Does this involve cologne?
Old 05-20-15, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I worked for a boss where we didn't like each other at all. He treated me like shit and I resented him for it. For awhile I put my head down and did my job. Then I started looking for a new job. I got one and didn't give my employer any notice. Walked in to his office at 4pm on Friday and told him that I'd be working somewhere else come Monday.

Most satisfying moment of my life.

So do that, if you can.
Old 05-20-15, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Depends on what the job is.
Old 05-20-15, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hopefully you're documenting all this.
Old 05-20-15, 08:03 AM

At my job there were 2 managers that I have had nothing but trouble with over the 9 years that I have worked there.
Last month one was fired for theft and yesterday the other was arrested and charged with a class 2 felony. So sometimes things do work themselves out.LOL
Old 05-20-15, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stop making mistakes.
Old 05-20-15, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Find new job, tell senior management about said "boss" and be happy.

Been there and done that!
Old 05-20-15, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why isn't there an option in the poll to talk passive-aggressively about it on an anonymous internet forum while not facing the issue head on like an adult?
Old 05-20-15, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Hopefully you're documenting all this.
and your company has an HR department and/or Ethical committee that you can present it all to (yes, I work for a large company)

Do my best to get the boss fired without being obvious about it.

or, if he is 'dug in' with no chance of ever leaving (like he is sucking his bosses dick) then just look for another job if you are that miserable. Some battles you just can't win and life is too short to put up with that BS.
Old 05-20-15, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
and your company has an HR department and/or Ethical committee that you can present it all to (yes, I work for a large company)

Do my best to get the boss fired without being obvious about it.

or, if he is 'dug in' with no chance of ever leaving (like he is sucking his bosses dick) then just look for another job if you are that miserable. Some battles you just can't win and life is too short to put up with that BS.
The boldeded.
Old 05-20-15, 09:36 AM
RIP

If it's a woman....BANG HER
Old 05-20-15, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

First, if you're really not doing a good job, you should be fired. So that indicates that management is a bunch of closed-off weirdos (which is the majority).

There's nothing about treating an employee poorly that will ever help performance. It never turns into a good team venture if the boss is taking the alpha male approach, or makes the subordinate feel like they're not wanted. This isn't military. He's not breaking you down with purpose. He's probably just too dumb to comprehend how to create a positive workplace.

If it's a business that has some corporate structure, and you have a boss/supervisor who can't handle people, that person really shouldn't be the boss, and you probably shouldn't put up with it. Unless you there's some underlying reason to stay (money, ideals).

If he's talking behind your back, he's probably not the kind of boss that will respond. But breaking down a barrier and being open and direct can make things happen. Don't talk to your coworkers about how much you hate your boss. If the time is relevant, say something straight to your boss. "I don't like being treated like this. And I don't know if you have some ultimate goal for me, or if you're just being cruel. But I feel like I do a good job. 'blah blah blah'". You get the idea.

If your workplace has the whole "talking behind your back" type dynamic, it may already be too far gone to fix.

When I encounter people who can't be calm and logical about business, or they look at it as "us vs them", instead of a "team effort", I go cold. I don't like to be around people like that. Framing things right and working together is the only way to go.
Old 05-20-15, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What kind of reviews has he given you?
Old 05-20-15, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Why isn't there an option in the poll to talk passive-aggressively about it on an anonymous internet forum while not facing the issue head on like an adult?
Kind of like how you handle the Washington Redskins name issue?
Old 05-20-15, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Handwritten notes of mistakes? What does that even mean? Like he has a notebook where he writes down his grievances?
Old 05-20-15, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I turned my boss into a toad, once. Not that anyone noticed a change.
Old 05-20-15, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
I turned my boss into a toad, once. Not that anyone noticed a change.
It was no doubt an improvement and I'm sure no one complained.
Old 05-20-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had a great boss once, and then the company reorged and my new boss was terrible. She was a micromanager, she was inconsiderate of her subordinates' time, she was ignorant of the details of my job (a fact that goes great with her micromanaging tendencies), she constantly overpromised things to her peers and her boss that fell upon her subordinates to fulfill, and she never had her team's back. Just a horrible person to work for.

I put my head down and worked harder, getting more and more miserable every day.

I stuck it out for a while because I knew we were going to be bringing in consultants to shake things up further. Sure enough, the consultants came in, spent a few months looking at things, and basically recommended that my function be moved out from under my boss and put in a different organization.

My boss basically killed the consultants' report, scapegoated me for a problem that wasn't my fault (a problem, in fact, her predecessor -- my old boss -- had specifically told me was not my job to worry about), and long story short, I found myself out of a job.

In hindsight, instead of the 15 months I spent working for her, I should have started looking for a new job 3 weeks into her tenure.
Old 05-20-15, 03:21 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Just curious... is there an actual reason why he or she specifically doesn't like you, like something that happened between you two?
Old 05-20-15, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A bad boss can make your life a living hell. If this boss is likely to remain in that position over you, strongly consider leaving for another job.
Old 05-20-15, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
A bad boss can make your life a living hell. If this boss is likely to remain in that position over you, strongly consider leaving for another job.
Good advice. I threw the towel after 12 years but I should've quit after 12 days. My boss wasn't evil but 75% asshole and 25% Idiot. He had a military background and he loved screaming at employees. You could never reason or talk to him about problems in a civil manner, because everything was the employees fault. When he wasn't screaming he was barking orders. In my 12 years I never had a "human" conversation with him. I'm not sure if he hated me but I'm sure he disliked me. He was pretty good at ignoring me while favoring others. His favorite line was if you don't like this job, leave. Which I finally did and countless others before and after me.
Old 05-20-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I've managed a lot of people over the years. The people who thought I didn't like them also just happened to be people who were under performers and made lots of mistakes because they didn't really care about the quality of work they were doing. So, because I had to be harder on them than the others to get a level of acceptable performance - they took that as my not liking them. Even though I was very detailed in why their level of performance wasn't acceptable and I approach the entire thing very professionally they still walked away thinking "meh - he just doesn't like me." There are just some people who will never acknowledge that they may be the problem - regardless of how it is pointed out to them and they dismiss the recommendations for improvement.

Not saying that is the case here but just sharing one perspective. When I see stuff like this "yes authority over you to a new employee who has the same title as you who is working there 1/4 of the time you have." it makes me wonder. If I have a high performer and a low performer doing the same work I'm going to give more responsibility and authority to my high performer. Why shouldn't I?

My suggestion is a 1:1 with your boss and just put it all out on the table. Don't be confrontational or it will not be a very helpful meeting. If it seems like it's just a horrible match between yourself and your boss then I'd recommend starting to look elsewhere.
Old 05-20-15, 04:18 PM
Banned

Your boss hates you?

Fuck his wife, shit on his desk, shit on his wife, fuck his office plant, and then tell him to fuck off.
Old 05-20-15, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Your boss hates you?

Fuck his wife, shit on his desk, shit on his wife, fuck his office plant, and then tell him to fuck off.
I would suggest leaving his plant alone. That crosses a line.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.