Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about Firearms Tracing (NTC Requests)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-19-15, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So a few years ago, my home was broken into and several firearms were stolen.

Went through the motions and reported everything, blah, blah, blah.

Fast forward several years... I received a letter regarding a National Tracing Center request on one the stolen guns, asking me for its current status (in my possession, lost, stolen, sold, etc). Filled it out and sent it back.

So if the National Tracing Center located one of my guns, do I eventually get it back?
Old 05-19-15, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Question about Firearms Tracing (NTC Requests)

Yes you would.

The national stolen database is filled with millions of items listed as stolen....guns, cars, stereo's... you name it...the list is endless...anything with a serial number.

If the owner sends the information back that its still not recovered...then yes...it will stay in the national database as stolen and you could eventually get it back if its ever found (by any LE agency that runs the serial number).

A month ago I recovered a stolen vehicle that was stolen from our jurisdiction in 2007.

By 2011 or so the owner (who had moved) did NOT send the info back that it was still missing. It decays out of the system and is no longer listed as stolen (even though it still is).

The vehicle was re-registered here in MN and the old owner found out about it (another long story) and notified me. I followed up on it and went and recovered it. The new "owner" wasn't arrested but to get his money back he'll have to go after the person he purchased it from...Hint: Never buy a vehicle without a title. I'm also not going after that guy as the statute of limitations is over and its a waste of time at this point.

Just FYI though...the National Tracing Center will not be the one to recover your stolen guns....an LE Agency most likely will be.