Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Do they lock up the razors where you live?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-09-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep seeing these commercials for Dollar Shave Club that show how hard it is to buy razors in stores because they are locked up.

Won't waste the bandwidth embedding, but if you've never seen one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pui78pskx24

They don't lock up the razors where I shop. You?

And why would they lock razors up anyways?
Old 05-09-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Do they lock up the razors where you live?

Not my local stores. I did stop by a Wal-Mart on the "darker side of town" and almost everything in there is locked up behind a case (razors, batteries, electronics, CDs/DVDs/BDs) and the things not locked up have security tags on them that have to be taken off by the cashier. I am surprised the packs of gum were out in the open. Go to the Wal-Marts a few blocks away and it is not like this.
Old 05-09-15, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never seen razors locked up.
Old 05-09-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some stores around me lock them up. Obviously the price of the blades makes it a good target for theft. I'm a little surprised that they don't lock up Tide as that's also a huge target for thieves.
Old 05-09-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My work don't lock up razor blades (the blades for utility knife or box cutter).
Old 05-09-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Keep seeing these commercials for Dollar Shave Club that show how hard it is to buy razors in stores because they are locked up.

Only the expensive ones.

I order mine online but I used one of these :

Old 05-09-15, 02:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I read somewhere that razors and make up are the two most common items that are shoplifted.
Old 05-09-15, 03:04 PM

Yes, they have them locked at most the pharmacy places around here like Walgreens/CVS. Likely it's just due to the small size and high cost. Most those 5 pack Gillette blades cost around $15 these days; I remember hating that I had to shell out $6-7 for them as a teenager.

I quit buying those things years ago and got a Dovo Shavette (straight razor that uses disposable blades). It cost about $40 for the handle and $5 for 100 blades. That should probably last me damn near the rest of my life and comes out way ahead of the what the Dollar Shave Club would in terms of money saved.*

*Unless I die within the next 3-4 years.
Old 05-09-15, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I read somewhere that razors and make up are the two most common items that are shoplifted.
yeah, because of the price and size. tide detergent and baby formula are also high stolen items.

locked razor blades are pretty common in most stores around phoenix metro. only time i don't see them locked up is at bulk warehouse stores like costco or sam's club.
Old 05-09-15, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to work at a pharmacy in the bad part of town and everything is locked up because we are no longer allowed to beat the shit out of shoplifters, thanks Obama.
Old 05-09-15, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
yeah, because of the price and size. tide detergent and baby formula are also high stolen items.

locked razor blades are pretty common in most stores around phoenix metro. only time i don't see them locked up is at bulk warehouse stores like costco or sam's club.
Tide seems insane to me, but I suppose not everyone buys the giant, Costco size jugs of it.
Old 05-09-15, 03:42 PM

I work at an upscale grocery store (read: not the bad part of town) and we finally had to lock them up as they were just walking out of the store.

I can tell you the most shoplifted items are razor blades, Tide, powdered baby formula, and steaks.

A lot of the thefts aren't for personal use but for resale. Esp the baby stuff, which is sold for cheap to mom and pop grocers in the inner city who then sell them at full price.

And if you're wondering how people walk out with big jugs of Tide - it's usually a covered baby stroller with no baby in it...
Old 05-09-15, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuck those razors. I've been using actual razor blades since 2009, they're so fucking cheap that my $10 supply from 2010 is still going. And here's a plug for my Old School Shaving Thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...s-unite-2.html
Old 05-09-15, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Merging with suicide thread
Old 05-09-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

And why the hell is TIDE shoplifted so much? (as opposed to say, Cheer?)

I can understand why All is never shoplifted. That stuff sucks. I like to say, they call it "All", because after it's done you have to wash your clothes ALL over again.
Old 05-09-15, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
And why the hell is TIDE shoplifted so much? (as opposed to say, Cheer?)

I can understand why All is never shoplifted. That stuff sucks. I like to say, they call it "All", because after it's done you have to wash your clothes ALL over again.
for the reason arbogast said. shoplifters will sell it at low prices to smaller stores (here they are dollar stores). they also run the scam where they steal the items, then return for gift cards. most stores around here now have stickers on all their high stolen items, which names the store and says if you see this product in another store, it is stolen.
Old 05-09-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh, I get that, but why Tide as opposed to other detergent brands?
Old 05-09-15, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Oh, I get that, but why Tide as opposed to other detergent brands?
Because it's by far the biggest seller and the most expensive - which means it can be resold for a lot more than Cheer. Same size and weight to carry out of the store, but they can get a lot more money for it.

Deftones was right on the gift card angle, too. My store sells it's goods at a much higher price, so we get a lot of people who will steal, say, $10 worth of stuff from Target then "return" it to us for a $15 gift card (which screws both stores). And don't think we make any of that money back by re-selling the goods - if a food product has left the store it has to get pitched. I can't tell you how many times returned items are brought back to me and I have to tell them that we don't even carry those things. At least once a week I'll get a call from a customer with a list of about 5 things, asking if we carry them. A few days later those exact 5 items show up as returned. If they hadn't, I probably would have had to cut the employees hours...

Moral of the story - you have no idea how many scams are being pulled on a store all day, so if you see razors locked up or a sign saying no returns without a receipt, it's not to be an ass but there's a very good reason. You have to cut an employees' hours down by 5 for that week to make your "numbers," but then somebody takes $200 worth of product.

Last edited by arbogast777; 05-09-15 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-09-15, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Fuck those razors. I've been using actual razor blades since 2009, they're so fucking cheap that my $10 supply from 2010 is still going. And here's a plug for my Old School Shaving Thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...s-unite-2.html
Old 05-09-15, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Not my local stores. I did stop by a Wal-Mart on the "darker side of town" and almost everything in there is locked up behind a case (razors, batteries, electronics, CDs/DVDs/BDs) and the things not locked up have security tags on them that have to be taken off by the cashier. I am surprised the packs of gum were out in the open. Go to the Wal-Marts a few blocks away and it is not like this.
Are you referring to one of the Wal-Marts that was recently closed due to "plumbing" issues?
Old 05-09-15, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They aren't locked up in the Bay Area where I live but they do put the stickers on them that Deftones mentioned.
Old 05-09-15, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Some stores around here have them in locked cabinets. Some have them on display pegs that have a lock on the tip. Some have them right in the open.
Old 05-10-15, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Since I just buy those multi-packs of disposables for $1.19, I never really paid any attention to fancy razor blades being pricey.

Isn't it amazing how cheap toothpaste is.
Old 05-10-15, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
shoplifters will sell it at low prices to smaller stores (here they are dollar stores). they also run the scam where they steal the items, then return for gift cards.
In some cases, you can even fence the stuff to drug dealers directly. Many of the dealers I knew in my late teens\early 20s weren't really "dealers" as you'd think of them, but were people who'd buy a largeish quantity of drugs (like, a quarter pound of weed) and sell enough so that their share of the weed was "free". One of my weed hookups was like that. But when she ended up pregnant, she stopped smoking but kept selling 'cos she couldn't work (complicated pregnancy) and it was easy money. After she had the kid, she'd sometimes trade weed for diapers or formula. I only brought her diapers once (I needed to stop at Walmart on the way anyway, so I just bought some). A few of my acquaintances were really into it, though, and most likely stole the stuff. My best friend had a weed dealer who treated his customers like a delivery service; a bag of weed was $40, or you could bring him a cartons of Winstons and a 12-pack of domestic beer, which was a discount on the $40 price (back in the 80s). No doubt my friend could have just stolen the stuff, but I doubt he ever did.

Originally Posted by arbogast777 View Post
My store sells it's goods at a much higher price, so we get a lot of people who will steal, say, $10 worth of stuff from Target then "return" it to us for a $15 gift card
When I was in high school - yeah, yeah, back in the 80s - a common scam was to steal cassette tapes out of the "bargain bin" at Record Bar or Camelot and return them to some other record store which sold them for full price. So, maybe Camelot had several Canadian copies of "Back in Black" in the bargain bin for $2.99. Dudes would steal 'em and return them to Sam Goody, who would give them $7.99 or $8.99 in store credit. It wasn't a glamorous scam, but I was amazed at how well these doofus skater kids knew the prices and types of tapes: "Nah, man... that Madness tape is $2.99 at Goody, too. And that Dead Kennedys tape is Italian, the cover's all different and shit. They'll notice that from a mile away". It was one of the first times I ever used the "if you'd put as much effort into something constructive as you do into this" line of thought. I felt so adult at the time.
Old 05-10-15, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post

Because they are overpriced and drug addicts will steal them and sell them to flea market vendors so they can fund their drug habbits.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.