Reload this Page >

Girl gets kicked out of prom and suspended because her breasts are large

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-04-15, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, it's a very tasteful dress. And what did they expect her to do, tape down her breasts? Hell, they're not even spilling out of her dress. The people who kicked her out of the prom and suspended her from school are assholes.

See the Long-Sleeved Gown That Got a Plus-Size Teen Booted From Prom

Pennsylvania high schooler Alexus Miller-Wigfall’s cleavage allegedly got her kicked out of her senior dance.

It’s supposed to be the most special evening of a student’s high school experience. But thanks to a controversy over her dress, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, teenager Alexus Miller-Wigfall’s prom night turned into a nightmare. Her floor-length red gown was deemed inappropriate by school officials, who chose to boot her from the event and subsequently gave her a one-day suspension from school.

According to Miller-Wigfall, who is a senior at the SciTech division of Harrisburg High School, although the gown fully covered her body, the school’s assistant principal said the size of her breasts was an issue. Miller-Wigfall said she received compliments from other educators—including district superintendent Knight Burney—but she was asked to leave the dance. Three days later, she was notified that she would be suspended for one day because her gown did not meet the prom’s dress code requirements.

“[The assistant principal] said, ‘You have more boobs than other girls. The other girls have less to show,’ ” the teen told Penn Live.

After pushback from Miller-Wigfall’s mom, Alisha Sneed, and backlash from the community and on social media, district officials decided that Miller-Wigfall would not have to serve her suspension on Friday. “The Harrisburg School District believes that proms are celebratory and memorable events in the lives of its students. Our administration, school board, faculty, and advisors strive to ensure that students enjoy themselves immensely while abiding by attire guidelines and expectations that support and promote the elegance of the prom season,” the district said in a statement. Neither school representatives nor school district officials were available for comment.

Sneed said her daughter was targeted because she is plus-size and “not flat-chested.”

“I couldn’t believe it,” Sneed told the newspaper. “I don’t see anything wrong with that dress. What do they want her to wear, a turtleneck?”

It’s fairly common for schools to have a dress code for prom to prevent attire that may be particularly revealing or inappropriate. As is the case with rules for the rest of the school year, prom regulations tend to focus on what girls are wearing. Guys attending Harrisburg High’s prom were required to wear a tuxedo or a suit and were prohibited from wearing sneakers. However, the attire rules for girls required dresses to be approved in advance—they couldn't be backless or have a high slit or a deep V-neck.

The emphasis on girls’ outfits is often perceived as slut shaming; critics say schools are making girls cover up so they don’t provoke a sexual reaction from boys. Or, in some cases, from their fathers: Last May a teen in Richmond, Virginia, was booted from her prom after one of the chaperoning dads complained that her “provocative” dress was causing other dads at the event to think “impure thoughts.”

Sneed said she sent photos of the dress that her daughter planned to wear to the April 25 event to school officials. The initial design was rejected, so the dress, which mom and daughter created, was modified to include longer sleeves and more fabric over the bust. The school district’s spokesperson, Kirsten Keys, told the paper that the teenager’s dress wasn’t approved by the school’s deadline.

Some people are outraged by more than the dress code enforcement. On her popular site Phat Skinny Chic, blogger Jay’L Harris expressed concern over the body shaming that Miller-Wigfall experienced. In a post on Monday, Harris detailed the pain and embarrassment she had suffered as a 12-year-old with double-D breasts—something she couldn’t help.

“I remember grown women telling my mom how to dress me so my boobs wouldn’t show or I wouldn’t tempt their sons and husbands,” Harris wrote. “I believe the administrator [in Miller-Wigfall’s case] did more harm than good. She punished and tarnished a young woman’s character to save teenage boys from lusting.”

As for Miller-Wigfall’s mom, she maintains that her daughter’s gown was gorgeous.

“I strongly feel there was nothing wrong with her dress,” Sneed told Penn Live. “My daughter’s dress was tasteful and classy.”
Old 05-04-15, 11:21 PM
Banned

Re: Girl gets kicked out of prom and suspended because her breasts are large

America! America!
Old 05-04-15, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like cause for a riot. Get the news crews to Harrisburg, stat.
Old 05-05-15, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember girls at my prom more than a decade ago in far, more revealing outfits. This is not a revealing dress whatsoever.
Old 05-05-15, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Her date's aviator sunglasses are a far worse crime ... Probably a gang thing.
Old 05-05-15, 12:49 AM

The article only has one side of the story. Surely, that means we should take it at face value and get out the pitchforks and torches!
Old 05-05-15, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

She looks good in that dress. It does not look provocative.
Old 05-05-15, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dafuq?
Old 05-05-15, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All that principal wanted to do was to stop the lusting. This is ridiculous all around.
Old 05-05-15, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"I hear black is in this year. Want to see the dresses I've made?"
Old 05-05-15, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not lusting so... guilty!
Old 05-05-15, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There's probably more to the story. If not and I were her mama, I'd be on the warpath at school, because this kind of experience will stick with her well into adulthood.
Old 05-05-15, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now, you don't punish anyone, Dutch or otherwise, for having big boobs.

If anything, they should be rewarded.
Old 05-05-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's a video of the prom arrivals. Some of the girls were showing more cleavage than she did.

<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=4196560798001&playerID=2444116368001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAQBxUw0E~,DELAM66vw4wD0qIn2xyBIS9vbw9hgk6W&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="480" height="270" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

Here's a photo gallery of the prom.
Old 05-05-15, 12:23 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a shot where you can actually see the cleavage in question.

It's visible but still relatively tame considering what she's working with. And definitely showing less (at least in percentage of boob) than some of the girls in the above gallery.

Last edited by DRG; 05-05-15 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-05-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What gets me is that her breasts are large at least partly because, well, she is large. It's not as if she has a body like Dolly Parton in her prime. I don't think she is going to be a distraction, because many boys wouldn't be lusting after her anyway because of her size.
Old 05-05-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
What gets me is that her breasts are large at least partly because, well, she is large. It's not as if she has a body like Dolly Parton in her prime. I don't think she is going to be a distraction, because many boys wouldn't be lusting after her anyway because of her size.
Only guess is the teachers were all uptight versions of Giantrobo. Heck, the article mentions that in another school a girl was kicked out because the dads chaperoning were getting impure thoughts about her.
Old 05-05-15, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Here's a video of the prom arrivals. Some of the girls were showing more cleavage than she did.

<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=4196560798001&playerID=2444116368001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAQBxUw0E~,DELAM66vw4wD0qIn2xyBIS9vbw9hgk6W&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="480" height="270" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

Here's a photo gallery of the prom.
^That guy is a pimp!
Old 05-05-15, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 05-05-15, 07:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you know that Kim Novak had some big breasts...
Old 05-05-15, 07:17 PM
Banned

Guess the school should mention that she's fat.
Old 05-05-15, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That girls boobs are not big enough to play the big boob card.
Old 05-05-15, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Don't shame the boobs.
Old 05-06-15, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm guessing that people thought that the top was see-through.
Old 05-06-15, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Her boobies arent so big, relatively speaking.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.