Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the worst thing a human can do?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What's the worst thing a human can do?

Old 04-29-15, 05:03 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the worst thing a human can do?

2 caveats:

It can't be illegal. Metaphysically speaking, I can rape and murder people. But as a society, we have decided that I can't do that with impunity. If I rape and murder someone, i would expect to be caught, arrested, tried, convicted and incarcerated.

It has to be something a common person can do. A head of state can start a war, but most people aren't heads of state. A CEO of a billion dollar multinational corporation can make some decisions that can negatively impact millions of other people, but most people aren't CEOs.

So, among all the legal actions that a normal regular joe schmo can do, what's the worst?

I'm trying to think of something worse than having a child you're not financially or emotionally capable of caring for. It's completely legal to have unprotected sex and get (someone) pregnant, but if you're not ready (or can't quickly force yourself to become ready), you're giving that child a shitload of adversity to overcome right away.
Old 04-29-15, 05:09 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Mikael79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: IA Now, From MN
Posts: 5,907
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

I deeply care about animals, so my personal opinion is that the worst thing is being cruel to animals.
Old 04-29-15, 05:10 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manch Vegas, NH
Posts: 8,222
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

Not live.
Old 04-29-15, 05:10 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Cusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Moore, OK
Posts: 7,565
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

Psychological torture of someone, especially a child.
Old 04-29-15, 05:11 PM
  #5  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,426
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

dropping a giant shit in a public toilet and not flushing
Old 04-29-15, 05:13 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
I deeply care about animals, so my personal opinion is that the worst thing is being cruel to animals.
Isn't cruelty to animals illegal? Or do you think that the definition of cruelty to animals doesn't go far enough?
Old 04-29-15, 05:14 PM
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

Derail a thread because he didn't see a "G" in someone else's name.
Old 04-29-15, 05:16 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,742
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
2 caveats:

It can't be illegal. Metaphysically speaking, I can rape and murder people. But as a society, we have decided that I can't do that with impunity. If I rape and murder someone, i would expect to be caught, arrested, tried, convicted and incarcerated.

It has to be something a common person can do. A head of state can start a war, but most people aren't heads of state. A CEO of a billion dollar multinational corporation can make some decisions that can negatively impact millions of other people, but most people aren't CEOs.

So, among all the legal actions that a normal regular joe schmo can do, what's the worst?

I'm trying to think of something worse than having a child you're not financially or emotionally capable of caring for. It's completely legal to have unprotected sex and get (someone) pregnant, but if you're not ready (or can't quickly force yourself to become ready), you're giving that child a shitload of adversity to overcome right away.
Making false accusations is illegal, but people do it all the time and don't suffer any repercussions. Accusing someone of rape or child molesting is what I would immediately think of for this question.
Old 04-29-15, 05:16 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Mikael79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: IA Now, From MN
Posts: 5,907
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Isn't cruelty to animals illegal? Or do you think that the definition of cruelty to animals doesn't go far enough?
I don't think it goes far enough.
Old 04-29-15, 05:24 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 7,935
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

Watch Nancy Grace
Old 04-29-15, 05:27 PM
  #11  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 21,582
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

Offer suggestions on how to improve spelling for internet posts.

It's the unpardonable offense.
Old 04-29-15, 05:28 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Me007gold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 3,222
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

Driving at or under the speed limit in the left hand lane of the highway. Or purposefully pissing on a public toilet seat
Old 04-29-15, 05:36 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Driving at or under the speed limit in the left hand lane of the highway.
A case could be made that this is "obstructing traffic."

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html
Old 04-29-15, 05:39 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,965
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

George Lucas already did it to Star Wars.
Old 04-29-15, 05:39 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Norm de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 15,670
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

Interesting question because so much is precluded by the parameters. I loathe egregious selfishness, but that's more a mindset than a specific act, and I bet even the most altruistic person on the planet is selfish to a small degree.

Someone cutting in line is something that infuriates me, though I have never seen it in person. Or those people in heavy traffic who use the exiting lane and then cut into traffic at the last moment.
Old 04-29-15, 05:42 PM
  #16  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 38,373
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

flood an internet forum with inane questions.
Old 04-29-15, 05:47 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 10,027
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

It's versus its.
Old 04-29-15, 05:58 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 21,509
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

Making the decision to cancel Firefly.
Old 04-29-15, 06:12 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,630
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

Buy something on ebay and expect it to be in perfect condition when the auction clearly states it's used.
Old 04-29-15, 06:21 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,856
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Driving at or under the speed limit in the left hand lane of the highway.
I once came upon a police officer driving 35mph in the left lane on the highway. I was in the right lane. Just me and him on the road, and as soon as I did the "unthinkable" and got one foot ahead of him on the right he blew the sirens and pointed at me to not pass him.
Old 04-29-15, 06:27 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 14,181
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Making false accusations is illegal, but people do it all the time and don't suffer any repercussions. Accusing someone of rape or child molesting is what I would immediately think of for this question.
Years ago in my college Ethics class my professor made a pretty decent argument that lying was about the worst thing a person can do in society. A society full of liars would not be able to be sustained for long.
Old 04-29-15, 06:30 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,630
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Years ago in my college Ethics class my professor made a pretty decent argument that lying was about the worst thing a person can do in society. A society full of liars would not be able to be sustained for long.
We've always had a society full of liars. Politicians, clergymen, the media etc all the way down the socio-economic scale. Been sustained for centuries.
Old 04-29-15, 06:32 PM
  #23  
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,359
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

not finishing the b/h j
Old 04-29-15, 06:42 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 14,181
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
We've always had a society full of liars. Politicians, clergymen, the media etc all the way down the socio-economic scale. Been sustained for centuries.
This is true. I wish I could remember what my professor had said. He made a pretty compelling argument.

Of course my personal opinion is a person who uses their cell phone in a movie theater. To me it's just perfect evidence to reveal an inconsiderate person. I'd have no problem if those people were dragged into the streets and hanged from the marquee.
Old 04-29-15, 06:46 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the worst thing a human can do?

Saying "bless you" after someone sneezes. I didn't grow up with this custom. I don't understand it, and I don't like it. We're getting into allergy season here, and I am sneezing somewhat frequently, and at my workplace I just hear a chorus of idiotic "bless you"s. Why are you saying bless me? Are evil spirits going to enter me if you fail to say that?! WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS?

I appreciate the need for social graces. I politely turn my head and cover my nose when I sneeze. I usually have a kleenex ready. I acknowledge it and say "excuse me." There. It's done. IT'S DONE. I don't need to hear "bless you," "bless you," "BLESS you." For the love of God, JUST SHUT UP AND LET ME SNEEZE IN PEACE!!!!!!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.