Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The future of Internet forums

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The future of Internet forums

Old 04-29-15, 01:39 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Western N.Y.
Posts: 5,851
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The future of Internet forums

I know there have been similar topics in the past on this but there are two things I wanted to hit on that I donít think have been discussed yet: Less anonymity from users and the current comfort level of online use in general.
Before I get into either I wanted to quickly share what I recently realized Iíve been doing more of on DVD Talk and thatís simply more posting in the Other forum.

Back in the booming days of this site (would most of you say it started to die out around 2008 2009 or so?) I barely posted anything in Other but not because I was anti-social, not at all. It was because I couldnít keep up with all the threads I was interested in so I just had a great time ďlurkingĒ Ė it was entertaining enough. Now that itís a ghost town around here, I didnít even realize how much more Iíve been posting until recentlyÖobviously now that I can keep up.

So it got me thinking, do you think forums would be much more interesting if there was less anonymity? Like being forced to post a pic of yourself and maybe even linking another account to prove itís you. Which brings me to the current comfort level of online posting, Iíve been posting on and off here for years and I think I would be more comfortable with possibly showing more about myself in the future on DVD Talk then letís say on Facebook with a bunch of people I actually know Ė I think this is because with forums, the posts are with a bunch of people I donít know but share more similar interests with and there are numerous interesting topics to discuss already in place Ė so in short, facebook is more of a bragging and gossip ground whereas forums are for multiple conversation types.

I just felt like starting this thread as Iíve been seeing how dead it is around these parts (and just a few other forums Iím a member of) so I did a search on ďAre internet forums dyingĒ and came across multiple posts by people who said that down the road providing ID for posting in forums would become mandatory at some point (which I donít really think it will myself).

Either way, I do think it would be more interesting to ďshow yourselfĒ so to speak but I donít think Iím really at that comfort level myself just yet either Ė not because Iím self-conscious of what I look like (in other words, it has nothing to do with a photo) but just the whole being tracked thing if someone feels like it (besides the NSA) and simply knowing that what you post will always be stuck there and attached to your name for everyone and anyone to seeÖ.doesnít matter if my posts were fine as well Ė itís just the thought I guess.

Lastly, I keep seeing people say that forum use is actually up more now than ever but is that really true? Not sure I agree with that based on the very few I'm with but I also can't be sure because of the few I'm with either.
Old 04-29-15, 01:58 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 21,847
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The future of Internet forums

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
So it got me thinking, do you think forums would be much more interesting if there was less anonymity?
The cesspool of Facebook comments on so many news sites/blogs is proof positive that a lack of anonymity doesn't deter shitty people from being shitty. I am in favor of rejecting free email services for registration, though. I know you're not talking strictly about identifiability/accountability, but that's a big thing with me.

Quite a few formerly huge message boards I've been a part of have dwindled in size over the past five years or so. I don't know if I've been unlucky or if online communities are just heading in a different direction.
Old 04-29-15, 02:01 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 18,243
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: The future of Internet forums

I for one vastly prefer the anonymity of forums and I can't even fathom why people prefer the openness of facebook. Then you read stories every single day of people being fired or hurting their families because of facebook postings that were meant to be private that went public. All kinds of crazy things.

I also prefer conversing with a diverse bunch of strangers than just my little private facebook social circle. Much more diverse and interesting conversations and arguments can be had.
Old 04-29-15, 02:04 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 10,027
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The future of Internet forums

Boards are highly moderated, so your risk of bannination is high if you act like a moron.
Twitter and Facebook don't moderate to the degree that boards do, so you can like a doofus and there's really nothing anybody can do to stop you.
All the chicks hang out on FB and Twitter, specifically because there's no anonimity. Guys like girls.

Once boards reach a critical mass I find they start to dwindle as posters can't help themselves and eventually write something utterly moronic that gets them banned. Hell one board I used to go on started unbanning posters because they started to lose too much traffic.
Old 04-29-15, 02:13 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 22,329
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: The future of Internet forums

Google Plus finally relented on revealing everyone's identity if you didn't want that. Most blame that feature on its lack of acceptance.

Facebook is an exception because of network effects. It hit critical mass very quickly.
Old 04-29-15, 02:15 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 31,646
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The future of Internet forums

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
The cesspool of Facebook comments on so many news sites/blogs is proof positive that a lack of anonymity doesn't deter shitty people from being shitty. I am in favor of rejecting free email services for registration, though. I know you're not talking strictly about identifiability/accountability, but that's a big thing with me.
I've noticed that people tend to act like even bigger asshole UNDER THEIR OWN NAMES than they do with anonymous handles. I know people in real life who go on facebook and twitter and act like colossal assholes, and I can count on more than one hand the number of friendships (among people I know in real life) that have been destroyed by dickish behavior on facebook.

I have to strongly disagree with you on "free e-mail services," though. I've been using them for a long time; my personal e-mail has been a g-mail account for over ten years, and I use hotmail accounts to sign up for things so I don't get a shit-ton of useless notifications and spam on my personal g-mail account. Webmail is also useful because it doesn't tie my personal e-mail account to an ISP. And, by the way, my ISP recently did away with personal e-mail accounts anyway, so it's a good thing for me that I have that g-mail account.
Old 04-29-15, 02:23 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Western N.Y.
Posts: 5,851
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The future of Internet forums

Yeah, I guess there are a lot of a-holes out there either way. Guess I'm just wondering what the future holds (if there even is one) for forums. I really do prefer them over social networking sites myself.

Can you imagine if every post you made was a required video post? Think it would get rid of a lot of the jerks or would it bring out more? Would be intresting.
Old 04-29-15, 02:28 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 10,027
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The future of Internet forums

Some forums are still insanely busy - hfboards, bodybuilding.com - even though members on there do complain that there's less traffic, you still see a first page post ending up on the third page after you read it.
Old 04-29-15, 02:33 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,856
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The future of Internet forums

What needs to be monitored is the local newspaper "Disqus" comments in my area. It's nothing but anonymous posters taking cheap shots and bad mouthing real people, revealing sensitive and private information, with tons of vile racist stuff thrown in. The newspapers let it go on because it brings in readers.
Old 04-29-15, 03:25 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16,970
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: The future of Internet forums

Don't look at me...my User Name IS my name.
Old 04-29-15, 04:14 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 19,090
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: The future of Internet forums

When I reviewed for the site, G! made me change from Hokeyboy to my real name. As a result, I was much less snarky and infinitely less likely to use the phrase "libtard homo"... even in jest!

Internet forums were supplanted by social media and blogs, really. I don't get it; I think the two are two separate experiences entirely. But what do I know? I'm a middle aged guy and not "hip" to the "lingo" these days...

I will say that I have joined several white supremacist forums just so I could stay abreast of what these intellectual troglodytes were up to. I'd hate to reveal MY particular non-Aryan mug to their members. My username is a loose Finnish translation for "Adult Diapers". Nobody ever questioned it. Sounded pretty Viking-esque.
Old 04-29-15, 04:14 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 19,090
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: The future of Internet forums

^They send out REALLY nice birthday emails though! I was actually rather touched...
Old 04-29-15, 04:21 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 47,432
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The future of Internet forums

Hokeyboy aka Aikuinen Vaippa

Good choice my Aryan brother.
Old 04-29-15, 04:41 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,129
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The future of Internet forums

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Internet forums were supplanted by social media and blogs, really. I don't get it; I think the two are two separate experiences entirely. But what do I know? I'm a middle aged guy and not "hip" to the "lingo" these days...
I don't get it either. I don't have anything against these "new fangled" things. Facebook is a great way of staying in touch with friends and relatives. I like some blogs (and vlogs) for the content and will comment if I have something to contribute. But I don't see how they replace online forums. If online forums disappear, there would be a hole in my online experience. Unless I've outright missed some form of social media that really does everything a forum does.
Old 04-29-15, 04:45 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,882
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The future of Internet forums

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
my User Name IS my name.
Like anyone's going to believe that.
Old 04-29-15, 05:14 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,742
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The future of Internet forums

I go to this forum because it's busier than most. There's one film forum I'm a member of and my name is still there on the front page (my real name) even though my last post was nine days ago. I'm a member of a J-pop forum and I've made several friends through it because we all get together when the J-pop groups we like come to the U.S. But it's been pretty slow lately. It does get new members regularly but they're usually refugees from another forum that's full of activity and new members but no one can string a single complete sentence accurately there. There are other forums I'm a member of, but none I'm crazy about.

I've been looking for good anime, sentai, tokusatsu, and Power Rangers forums and can't find any.

I'm not on Facebook or any of those things, but I'm leaning toward entering that world.
Old 04-29-15, 05:24 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 17,059
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The future of Internet forums

Someday internet forums will dwindle to nothing but people who have self-diagnosed themselves with autism. Assuming they aren't all banned/driven away before then.
Old 04-29-15, 06:25 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 21,847
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The future of Internet forums

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I have to strongly disagree with you on "free e-mail services," though. I've been using them for a long time
My personal email is on GMail as well.

The idea, message board-wise, is to just put a barrier in front of new users. If they have to have a work/ISP email, they can't just create an account in seconds and wreak havoc. It'd basically end spamming on this forum, for instance. With borderline-zero exceptions, every spammer on this forum uses GMail or Yahoo. It's a pain for the legitimate people who use GMail and the like, but it also ensures that they really want to be a part of a community, weeding out a lot of the lousier folks before they ever have a chance to post.

Two forums I'm a part of have switched to that approach. (...and, for what it's worth, I don't get emails from either of them, so it hasn't clogged up my work inbox.)

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
What needs to be monitored is the local newspaper "Disqus" comments in my area.
Disqus has a lot of really great moderation features, so it's a drag that your paper isn't taking advantage. I like their service a couple hundred thousand times more than Facebook Comments.
Old 04-29-15, 06:41 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 10,027
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The future of Internet forums

Also reddit should be mentioned - since basically anything goes there they've taken substantial amounts of traffic away from standalone forums such as this one.
Old 04-29-15, 07:09 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
funkyryno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,813
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The future of Internet forums

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Someday internet forums will dwindle to nothing but people who have self-diagnosed themselves with autism.
That explains a lot of things about this place ...
Old 04-29-15, 07:29 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 21,508
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The future of Internet forums

I actually like the forums the way they are. This place is consistently pretty active and although lots of us tend to disagree on things - it's overall pretty civil. We don't know each other so a real name wouldn't be any different than a handle.

Where I don't like real names though is that these days employers scan the internet to see what you've posted and what your opinions are on stuff. It's really none of their business now is it? However if you've got your real name tied to a comment - it's findable. So I like the freedom of being able to express myself without having to worry that my personal opinion on something may cost me a job some day. It's the world we live in.

Plus on Facebook and stuff I never talk politics. I don't care if I piss all of you off but I like to try to keep Facebook fun and happy for everyone.
Old 04-29-15, 07:40 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
funkyryno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,813
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The future of Internet forums

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Where I don't like real names though is that these days employers scan the internet to see what you've posted and what your opinions are on stuff. It's really none of their business now is it? However if you've got your real name tied to a comment - it's findable. So I like the freedom of being able to express myself without having to worry that my personal opinion on something may cost me a job some day. It's the world we live in.
Exactly. I don't want all my co-workers to know how much of a weirdo I am (although, they likely already suspect).
Old 04-29-15, 08:54 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 21,496
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The future of Internet forums

I was recently turned down by an investor (just last week ... first time I ever went through the process). When I was turned down the first thing that came into my head was, "did he find me on DVDTalk and read my absurd, faux-elitist douchebag posts". There's lot of other possible reasons. But I have to wonder. Real names, man.

For a long time, if you Google "Troy Stiffler Phoenix", Google shows a post that I made, claiming I have a huge dong.

Sometimes I wonder if I get cyber stalked by immediate family too.
Old 04-29-15, 10:30 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The future of Internet forums

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Google Plus finally relented on revealing everyone's identity if you didn't want that. Most blame that feature on its lack of acceptance.

Facebook is an exception because of network effects. It hit critical mass very quickly.
Google Plus' vicelike deathgrip on YouTube was annoying. They let me switch back to my old YouTube account, but I really with that could connect it with a different G+ account without losing it. It annoys me to no end.
Old 04-30-15, 01:22 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 22,329
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: The future of Internet forums

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
Google Plus' vicelike deathgrip on YouTube was annoying. They let me switch back to my old YouTube account, but I really with that could connect it with a different G+ account without losing it. It annoys me to no end.
Google was hoping to build a credible alternative to Facebook, they made some very curious decisions along the way.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.