Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

ebay question

Old 04-25-15, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ebay question

I sold something for under $30 very recently. My auction said US bidders only, but ebay says the guy that won is based on Vietnam and he has a very vietnamese name. 90 positive feedbacks in the last year. So when the paypal payment came through, it was from a very American name and US shipping address. I went ahead and shipped.

Now today, the scheduled day of delivery, I went to leave feedback and it says he is no longer a registered user. How does this happen? Am I getting scammed or what?
Old 04-25-15, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: ebay question

Who the fuck knows anymore.

Don't sell on Ebay. The days of it being useful is over.
Old 04-25-15, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These ebay stories seem to get weirder and weirder.

It does sound like a scam. I would keep your paypal receipts and delivery confirmation stuff close by in case you get a complaint from the buyer. Not that it would matter, they'll side with the buyer anyway.

Then again, seems odd that they would try to scam you over an item that costs less than $30. So maybe not.
Old 04-25-15, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just out of curiosity, was it a street address, or a PO Box? Have you tried googling the address?
Old 04-25-15, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Who the fuck knows anymore.

Don't sell on Ebay. The days of it being useful is over.
Sounds like your personal experiences have left you with an opinion that is probably not shared by everyone.
Old 04-25-15, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Troy Stiffler is half right. The days of useful selling on ebay are over. You can still buy there, and if you're a scammer, you can get lots of free stuff. Which is why it's not a good place to sell anymore.

I used to sell Wii's on ebay back in the day. Started auctions at 99 cents and they always ended for hundreds more than a wii from the store. Never once got scammed. The thought of doing something like that now is laughable. I wouldn't even sell my kids' used clothes on ebay now.
Old 04-25-15, 11:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
Troy Stiffler is half right. The days of useful selling on ebay are over. You can still buy there, and if you're a scammer, you can get lots of free stuff. Which is why it's not a good place to sell anymore.

I used to sell Wii's on ebay back in the day. Started auctions at 99 cents and they always ended for hundreds more than a wii from the store. Never once got scammed. The thought of doing something like that now is laughable. I wouldn't even sell my kids' used clothes on ebay now.
If ebay is a bad place to sell but a good place to buy, then how will you ever buy anything there if sellers stop selling?
Old 04-25-15, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Admittedly, I haven't sold anything on ebay for a long time, half because of all the problems other people report and because their service is more geared to taking care of the buyer than the seller, and half because I just don't have anything I need to sell right now. Could sell? Yes. Want to sell? No.
Old 04-25-15, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does it sound odd? Yes, but I don't get what the scam is if he's not a registered user. How do you register a complaint if your account is closed?
Old 04-25-15, 01:07 PM

It's a regular street address and I can find the house in Google street view. A rundown-looking house in California that cost $460k last year, right about the same time he signed up for an account on ebay. It's very odd but you may be right. Can he lodge a complaint thru paypal if he is no longer registered on ebay? On ebay it says an account can be suspended either for violations or by users request. Maybe they would not automatically take the buyer's side if he was suspended for abuses.

I suppose worst case scenario, I'm out a $30 item and the shipping cost. I don't know how people could sell something expensive on there. I wouldn't be able to sleep!

Last edited by c-moon; 04-25-15 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-25-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
Sounds like your personal experiences have left you with an opinion that is probably not shared by everyone.
MySpace is still around too! Who would have thought?
Old 04-25-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, okay. Real answer. NARU could be anything. Maybe the Ebay safety team didn't like that he was a Vietamese buyer shipping to a US address. Only be concerned if you have a chargeback on your PayPal account.

International buyers will often ship to a forwarding address. That address in CA is probably filling up a container of goods to send to Vietnam. Or they're family and that family member will hand it off to an exporter, or throw it in their suitcase next time they visit. They are able to save on shipping and customs duties/fees. Vietnam is very strict at the border (Brazil is another one). Almost to a frustrating extent.

Anyways, Ebay is a terrible place to "do business". There's so much of this crap going on. You never know what kind of weirdo you're dealing with. People purposely sell you broken junk (or naively think it's not broken ... "here's m'uh used cell phone, I know the 8 button is worn out on it, but I want $80. Just don't call anyone with an 8 and you'll be fine."). And if you're buying a new product, just Google the company name. It's always cheaper on their website (Ebay takes an extra 9-11% of revenue, so most retailers mark up their Ebay pricing). It's 2015; if the company doesn't have a website, they shouldn't be trusted.

FYI, I know more about this stuff than anyone else. It's kind of my life (oh my God, that just really bummed me out). Ask any questions if you want.
Old 04-25-15, 01:53 PM
Banned

FYI, I know more about this stuff than anyone else.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 04-25-15 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-25-15, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, in my defense... Ebay and eCommerce is my life since I was 16 and my only income since I was 18 (I'm 31). I was making eCommerce money in high school, and never had a reason to attend college. There's really nothing you could bring up or ask me about eCommerce, inventory databases, warehousing, acquisitions, shipping, customer service, etc. that I haven't done.

To answer the OP: there's almost no chance that you're going to have a problem with the buyer. He's from Vietnam and probably shipped the item to a forwarding service, or friends/family in the USA. Nothing to worry about.
Old 04-25-15, 02:37 PM

I appreciate the follow up, Stiffler. I'm not really that worried since it was such a low dollar value item, but it was weirdness I'd never seen before in my 50 or so previous transactions, so I wondered if anyone had similar experiences. It seems like international buyers are the majority on ebay anymore. Thanks
Old 04-25-15, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MySpace is still around too! Who would have thought?
I don't quite understand this response, but I guess as long as you do...
Old 04-25-15, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
I don't quite understand this response, but I guess as long as you do...
Let me clarify for you: Ebay is less than a year away from being the Myspace of online marketplaces. If you own their stock, don't keep it too much longer.
Old 04-25-15, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
I used to sell Wii's on ebay back in the day. Started auctions at 99 cents and they always ended for hundreds more than a wii from the store. Never once got scammed. ...
Just the buyers, apparently
Old 04-25-15, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let me clarify for you: Ebay is less than a year away from being the Myspace of online marketplaces. If you own their stock, don't keep it too much longer.
Thank you for clarifying. I wasn't sure what MySpace had to do with ebay. There was a time I wish I had stock in ebay, but if I had, I'm sure I would have sold it a long time ago, when they were at their peak.
Old 04-25-15, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c-moon View Post
It's a regular street address and I can find the house in Google street view. A rundown-looking house in California that cost $460k last year, right about the same time he signed up for an account on ebay. !
Any chance it's unoccupied. One scam is to have stuff shipped to houses that are not occupied and pickup the package later. It was more prevalent when the amount of foreclosures was sky high.
Old 04-25-15, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
Just the buyers, apparently
Lol, yeah, well there was that. I somehow managed to hold down a job, be a single parent to 2 kids AND get over 20 wiis one Christmas season. So to the folks who whined that there were none to be found, my advice was to either get some game or buy one of mine. .

I'm not so poor anymore and would never stand in line (and hire kids to stand in line with me) overnight in freezing weather for a wii anymore. Those were the tough old days . . .
Old 04-25-15, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

A serious question: If this is true (and believe me, I really wish it *was*, or will be since Ebay's gone to the dogs years ago), then who's geared to take over that online auction realm / space? Certainly not Google? Apple? Not craigslist? I just don't see how some business will magically appear overnight and quash the Ebay monster once and for all?
Old 04-26-15, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i knew the death knell was sounded when they stopped allowing used underpants.
Old 04-26-15, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't sell on eBay but many of the medium-range sellers now are little more than fronts for organized crime. I ordered an item that was 50% off the price found anywhere else. I wondered how this seller had seemingly perfect feedback (though less than 100) and had an unlimited supply of these fairly expensive items below wholesale cost. They pop up and legitimately fill orders using stolen credit cards or someone else's identity.

When I received the item I discovered the goods were paid with presumably a stolen credit card since the package was dropshipped and still had the credit card invoice in it. The eBay seller had paid nearly twice as much with the credit card as I had paid in the buy-it-now auction. I was tempted to go back and buy the seller's other auction simply because the prices were incredible, but I couldn't in good conscience knowingly buy from a credit card scammer.
Old 04-27-15, 08:33 AM

I've done my share of selling on eBay. I've never been scammed, but I have dealt with unwarranted returns and deadbeats (Really eBay... I can't leave negative feedback to someone who flakes out on paying me $1,000???) So here's the question... where do you sell stuff now? What's a good place to unload items that you know have value? I know nothing about Amazon Market. Craigslist is free, so there's no financial risk there, but my experience is people do not go there to pay collectible prices. Any others?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.