Reload this Page >

Adopting a rescue dog is a huge process

Other Talk "Otterville"

Adopting a rescue dog is a huge process

Old 05-24-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 604 Likes on 488 Posts
Re: Adopting a rescue dog is a huge process

They make a valid point, some dogs need a lot more attention and effort than others, but that condescending attitude that seems to be standard really is annoying as hell.

My friends found a puppy (it ran up to them and basically jumped on my friends lap), I fostered it for them and I wound up keeping her after we couldn't find the owners. That fucker is a little spazz that needs a lot of attention, thankfully she's also the most loving creature in the world. Dog parks and Doggy Day Care work great to get some of that energy out and prevent destructive and depressive states.
Old 05-24-16, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 650 Likes on 506 Posts

I was told that huskies cannot be taken to dog parks, because they will get aggressive towards the small dogs. They only get along with other same-size dogs and huskies. They're also strong hence the 2.5 hours of exercise that they require.
Old 05-24-16, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
True, true. I may take some time to reevaluate. Walking into that shelter was crazy. The look on those animals faces is harsh. I almost didn't want to make eye contact with some, because they just want to get out of there and every one that passes by a kennel is someone that can potentially get them out. It's a sad thing.
I've been volunteering at the Baltimore City shelter - mostly as a dog walker, and you are right. The sad look on their faces breaks my heart. I try to spend about 20-25 min walking each (I spend about 2 hours there each Saturday morning). One of these days I figure I'll come across one I want to take home (I'm still seeking a lab or golden).
Old 05-24-16, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 604 Likes on 488 Posts

I always heard you also can't take them off a leash, because they will just run. and run. and run. But I've never had one, I'm on dog #1.
Old 05-24-16, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I always heard you also can't take them off a leash, because they will just run. and run. and run. But I've never had one, I'm on dog #1.
Yep, she said that too. As soon as they see an open door they're gone.
Old 05-24-16, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 521 Likes on 245 Posts

I tried to adopt a dog once. No luck. Guess giving kvrdave as a reference was a bad idea.
Old 05-24-16, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

I never got my puppy. I started doing medical travel work, and decided it would be irresponsible to have a dog at this point in my life. My young adult kids are living in my house, and caring for my 2 cats when I'm not home, which is more often than not. Someday . . . Sigh.
And yes, the walk through a shelter is heartbreaking.
Old 05-24-16, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I talked to a few people at work and even they were all like that sucks that the shelter puts you through the ringer. I also have a friend and co-worker that owns a husky and she said that the shelter overstates things sometimes, because they need to weed out the scumbags that go in there and can potentially adopt and use these dogs as bait/fight animals. Tact is not part of their work description.

I will most like go back on Friday for that appointment assuming no one claims the dog that I am on the waiting list for. She's a young husky that is all white with blue eyes and about 1 year old.
Old 05-24-16, 08:04 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 76 Posts

What they said about huskies is mostly true though (there are exceptions, of course).

They are not the off-leash kind of dog. I used to have a Siberian Husky and a Lab Retriever. When I was working on my front yard, the Lab would just sit there and watch, while the Husky has to be kept on leash the whole time. Otherwise he will just wander away -- not really trying to escape, but they are extremely curious and like to run after anything.

I don't agree that they are aggressive to other animals. Huskies are gentler dogs than most, but they are strong and full of energy, and sometimes other animals can't handle the amount of rough play they like. You should see 2 huskies playing sometime. It looks like they are trying to kill each other, but they are really harmless.

One thing I haven't heard mention. They shed, a lot, more than you will ever think possible. In shedding season, you can brush them for 30 minutes, and there will still be lots of hair all over the house. If you have a yard, that's better. Let them stay outside, and they like it better that way (and make sure you have good fences. Otherwise they'll go over, under, through them before you know it).
Old 05-24-16, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the counselor told me about the shedding.
Old 05-25-16, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I adopted a dog in March after the loss of my 10 year old Cocker to cancer in February. I had no problems at all. I got her from a shelter. Filled out one form and paid $90 and she came home the same day with me. She's a 2 year old Miniature Poodle/Chihuahua/Shih Tzu mix that I named "Shelby". I really lucked out with her since she came to me totally house-broken and with a very good temperament. Just a very sweet and happy lap dog. She's really helped me get over my grief from losing my previous dog. She also rescued me! Love her...
Old 05-26-16, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So after careful consideration I decided not to go back to adopt the husky I originally wanted. As much they like to condescend and break one down - their words rang true in terms of pet management. I'd be a first time dog owner and the husky breed would be more than I could handle.

I'll keep my eyes open for a pug or bulldog or something similar.
Old 05-26-16, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

So after careful consideration I decided not to go back to adopt the husky I originally wanted. As much they like to condescend and break one down - their words rang true in terms of pet management. I'd be a first time dog owner and the husky breed would be more than I could handle.

I think you're making the right decision - for both you and the dog you rescue.
Keep us posted!
Old 05-26-16, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pointyskull View Post
I think you're making the right decision - for both you and the dog you rescue.
Keep us posted!
This. Looking forward to an update.
Old 05-26-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 521 Likes on 245 Posts

I don't mean to dissuade you because bulldogs are my favorite dog in the whole world, but ... you're unlikely to find one in a rescue. They are expensive as hell from breeders (because births are a guaranteed C-section) and have short lifespans (7 years is really good). Also, anything with a short nose like that is going to snore like a mountain lion, just so you're aware.

It wouldn't stop me. I love those breeds. Boxers too.
Old 05-26-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 423 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I adopted a dog in March after the loss of my 10 year old Cocker to cancer in February. I had no problems at all. I got her from a shelter. Filled out one form and paid $90 and she came home the same day with me. She's a 2 year old Miniature Poodle/Chihuahua/Shih Tzu mix that I named "Shelby". I really lucked out with her since she came to me totally house-broken and with a very good temperament. Just a very sweet and happy lap dog. She's really helped me get over my grief from losing my previous dog. She also rescued me! Love her...
The boxer that we adopted this week is also named Shelby. She came with that name, but one of the reasons she jumped out at us was that my wife had said (before we seriously started looking) that she wanted our next dog to be named Shelby, it was just sort of meant to be.
Old 05-26-16, 10:57 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
The boxer that we adopted this week is also named Shelby. She came with that name, but one of the reasons she jumped out at us was that my wife had said (before we seriously started looking) that she wanted our next dog to be named Shelby, it was just sort of meant to be.
Shelby's shelter name was "Flower" since she sort of looked like the little skunk from Bambi with her black/grey coat and a patch of white wiry hair on top of her head. She hadn't ever been groomed so I got her a nice hair cut within a couple of days of bringing her home and she doesn't look like a skunk anymore.

I had a few names picked out for the new dog. If Shelby had ended up being a male dog instead - I would have named him "Clancy".
Old 05-26-16, 11:08 PM

Received 351 Likes on 259 Posts

I volunteer at a rescue and people in general are terrible to animals so when shelters/rescues have these invasive vetting processes it's usually because they care deeply about animals and want them to be safe and have a stable home. Out of the last 20 or so adoptions we had I think 6 or 7 were brought back within a month or two.
Old 05-27-16, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

In PR the homeless dog situation is just awful. It is a daily thing to see dogs on the street and seeing the bodies of dead dogs that have been hit by cars. About 3 years ago i had friends come visit and whilst driving one day we saw a dog by the side of the road. About 5 minutes later we had to do a u-turn and go back the same way and the same dog had been hit and killed in that 5 mins. There was just total silence in the car for about 20 mins as we were disgusted beyond words. It sickens the hell out of me. Fucking humans are animals on this island and most have no care for dogs at all.

I actually have two dogs that i picked up off the streets here. It makes life more complicated, but my dogs are part of my family and even though the first few months with each was tough i do not regret picking them up for a second.
Old 05-27-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm finally at a point in my life where I felt ready to adopt a dog (wanted one my whole life). The rescues did all have very intimidating application processes, but most of them seemed designed just to weed out the uncommitted. They didn't seem to hold too stringently to the more onerous requirements once they talked with me.

I was looking specifically for a Shih Tzu and not too many come available, so I expanded my search beyond Arizona and found one at a rescue in San Diego that fit my general criteria. Drove out last Saturday to meet him and bring him home if everything went well, which thankfully it did! He's 7 years old and I kept his rescue name, Marley. He's incredibly well-behaved and adjusting well to his new home, and I'm really happy I went through with the process.

Spoiler:
Old 05-27-16, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
He's 7 years old and I kept his rescue name, Marley. He's incredibly well-behaved and adjusting well to his new home, and I'm really happy I went through with the process.

Spoiler:
Congrats!
Marley looks happy...
Old 06-10-16, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well .. my family was just denied by a rescue because we planned to crate train for the 6 hours each weekday that we weren't home (even though the dog would have total house access the other 18). They said we would have to either have someone there, or sign a contract (and prove it) that we would use doggie daycare or a licensed walker.

The other three rescues had no such demands - hell, they suggested crate training.
Old 06-10-16, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by A-aron View Post
well .. my family was just denied by a rescue because we planned to crate train for the 6 hours each weekday that we weren't home (even though the dog would have total house access the other 18). They said we would have to either have someone there, or sign a contract (and prove it) that we would use doggie daycare or a licensed walker.

The other three rescues had no such demands - hell, they suggested crate training.
What kind of shelter has requirements like that? Considering dogs sleep (on averaqe) over 10 hours a day, you'd think that 6 hours in a crate shouldn't be a deal breaker. As long as the owner knows how to properly set up the crate so the dog feels safe, and they don't give the dog anything they could choke on of course. Just seems like an extreme requirement, considering most people have to work for a living, and can't afford licensed dog babysitters five days a week.
Old 06-10-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by clappj View Post
What kind of shelter has requirements like that? Considering dogs sleep (on averaqe) over 10 hours a day, you'd think that 6 hours in a crate shouldn't be a deal breaker. As long as the owner knows how to properly set up the crate so the dog feels safe, and they don't give the dog anything they could choke on of course. Just seems like an extreme requirement, considering most people have to work for a living, and can't afford licensed dog babysitters five days a week.
Yeah, that does seem pretty extreme.
Crates become safe havens for dogs (even when they have free run) and they help establish boundaries so the dog knows his place in the family pecking order. And it might not be necessary permanently, dependent on the dog's behaviors.

Crating, from what I've read, helps let the dog know who's the alpha. There has to be one, otherwise if there isn't your dog will assume the role.

And you DON'T want that...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 06-10-16 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-10-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm trying to clarify some things with rescue. I certainly wouldn't consider a 1.5 year-old lab a puppy, but apparently they do. It seems that the crate questioning was implied as a bad thing, but they certainly weren't meaning it that way. Now they are going back to the coordinator who did the call (with my wife) to clarify.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.