Reload this Page >

Been to Disneyland and stayed on the grounds

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-13-15, 11:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So we're heading to Disneyland and for the first time staying at a Disney hotel...the Paradise Pier. Anyone stay there or in the grounds before? Just trying to determine the best way to enter California adventures for early morning hour...through the main gates or through the Grand California hotel
Old 04-14-15, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Been to Disneyland and stayed on the grounds

www.mousesavers.com
Old 04-14-15, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We usually stay at the DL Hotel... the Grand Californian entrance is great if your going to DCA, or want a quick exit out of it.
Old 04-14-15, 08:43 AM
Banned

Ok thanks. I was hoping to do that with our early morning hour for DCA.
Old 04-14-15, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Orange County local here. I have visited the hotels to check them out but have never stayed in one. From what I've observed the Grand California entrance would only save you time if you were staying right there in the hotel. Walking to the main entrance vs. walking through the hotel to get to the special entrance would probably take about the same amount of time.
Old 04-14-15, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont go through the CA Grand entrance for CA Adventure in the morning. the line is way slower than the main line. Its way faster to cut through the Grand, exit in downtown disney and then just go through the main gates. The CA Grand -> CA Adventure entrance/exit is only good later in the day
Old 04-14-15, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

DaveNinja confirms what I suspected. The special entrance into CA Adventure from the Grand Californian is a single turnstile and would be a bottleneck during busy times.
Old 04-14-15, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Been doing this for years and the answer is complicated. The GC entrance can much better when you are near the front of the line, and especially when they are scanning tickets ahead of time and allowing people to get as far as the internal ropes. But when they scan and let people in early can be very inconsistent.

The main entrance can be very backed up if you're not there early. And they rarely ever pre-scan and let people as far the internal ropes anymore. Back before Cars Land they did all the time.

And keep in mind that the GC entrance is very close to Soarin, and when it becomes to the top attraction again after the upgrade, it will be good to be close.
Old 04-14-15, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Will Soarin' surpass Radiator Springs Racers? That'd be a feat.
Old 04-14-15, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When are you going to be there? I'm going to be in town for Star Wars Celebration, so I have a 2-day hopper for Sunday afternoon and one other afternoon (haven't decided yet - but probably Friday, since that's the other night Disneyland is open until midnight).

Anyone know if the rides that are also in Orlando (Tower of Terror, Star Wars, Haunted Mansion, etc.) are mirror copies of each other, or are there differences? I've been to Disney World several times, but this will be my first time at Disneyland.
Old 04-14-15, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
When are you going to be there? I'm going to be in town for Star Wars Celebration, so I have a 2-day hopper for Sunday afternoon and one other afternoon (haven't decided yet - but probably Friday, since that's the other night Disneyland is open until midnight).

Anyone know if the rides that are also in Orlando (Tower of Terror, Star Wars, Haunted Mansion, etc.) are mirror copies of each other, or are there differences? I've been to Disney World several times, but this will be my first time at Disneyland.
Here's what you need to know about Disneyland:

The Pirates of the Caribbean >>> POTC at Disney World. By a huge margin. It's not even funny. The only thing better at WDW is the queue.

Same goes for It's A Small World and Space Mountain. Infinitely superior.

Peter Pan is the same, as is Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, and Winnie The Poo. Haunted Mansions are about the same, although the holiday overlay during Halloween --> New Years is better at DL.

DL also has the Indiana Jones ride (which is the exact same ride as Animal Kingdom's Dinosaur, only with a some slight mods and of course the entire themed overlay), which is unique to that park, as is Storybook Land, the Sleeping Beauty castle walkthrough, Alice In Wonderland, and of course the Matterhorn. PLUS they still have Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, which is LONG lamented at WDW.

Star Tours is about the same. I can't compare Autopia to the Tomorrowland Speedway because I don't really like either.

As far as DCA -- they have a bunch of unique stuff... Cars Land and Paradise Pier being the two big ones. The unique attractions are things like Radiator Springs Racers (MUST see), Bear Gulch, Monsters Inc dark ride, and some kiddie stuff in A Bugs Life area. There's Soarin', Tower of Terror, and Toy Story Midway Mania, but they're pretty much exactly the same as you'll find at WDW (I would say that DHS's Tower of Terror is better than DCA's; more drops, longer ride, etc.)

The Animation building in DCA is outstanding. You can just lose yourself in the main room, surrounded by a panorama of ginormous monitors display Disney animation, line art, rough drafts, etc.
Old 04-14-15, 04:04 PM
Banned

Wow thanks for all the advice. We go in two weeks and it's mid week tues-thurs so hoping those 3 days are a little less crowded than a weekend. We were thinking of using the EMH strictly for RSR as we haven't been since carsland was built. We were hoping to hit RSR and Toy story before park opens or pretty quickly after
Old 04-14-15, 04:25 PM
RIP

Just stay away from the Slauson Swap Meet. I heard in a song that rough activities go on there.

Is that near Disneyland?
Old 04-14-15, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked your sig-quote about the 'BALL LICKERS' better
Old 04-14-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
The Animation building in DCA is outstanding. You can just lose yourself in the main room, surrounded by a panorama of ginormous monitors display Disney animation, line art, rough drafts, etc.
Agree with HB - also there is a Class one can take to actually draw disney characters. A very unique and you get a free souvenir. Honestly, I hope they still have that, great fun.

G
Old 04-14-15, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
Just stay away from the Slauson Swap Meet. I heard in a song that rough activities go on there.

Is that near Disneyland?
Old 04-14-15, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgtsnake View Post
So we're heading to Disneyland and for the first time staying at a Disney hotel...the Paradise Pier. Anyone stay there or in the grounds before? Just trying to determine the best way to enter California adventures for early morning hour...through the main gates or through the Grand California hotel
They don't rent rooms in the Haunted Mansion?
Old 04-14-15, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Will Soarin' surpass Radiator Springs Racers? That'd be a feat.
Depends on if the rumors about the upgrades to Soarin are true. Soarin is indeed equally, if not more popular, at Epcot where both Soarin and the similar ride system of Test Track are in the same park. But what really makes Soarin the must plan for attraction is that it has no where near the same capacity is Test Track or Racers. There is also the issue that many people that can't handle the motion on Racers can handle the very little motion on Soarin.
Old 04-14-15, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm kind of a Disney fanatic and own a few Disney timeshares, including points at the Grand Californian. As others have said, do NOT even think of trying to use the entrance there to get into California Adventure at opening. They don't have enough turnstiles and the line gets ridiculously backed up. We always go to the main entrance at the start of the day, though its a nice convenience for later or to use as an exit. Not sure you would have to be a guest to use the entrance though maybe you're supposed to be (can't remember them ever checking anything but our tickets, and of course they don't check anything when you exit.)

Agreed that POTC is much better at DL than WDW, as is Space Mountain.

Hope you have a great trip.
Old 04-14-15, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was at Disneyland four days ago, Soarin' was closed for maintenance as was Peter Pan and the Matterhorn. Matterhorn opens back up in May, I didn't get a concrete date on Soarin' or Peter Pan.

FastPass for Radiator Springs Racers were gone by 9am on both days we were at the park. My girlfriend and I just jumped in the single riders line and we only had to wait about 20-25 minutes. Wait time for the regular line was constantly over 120 minutes. I thought the ride sucked, but whatever. I'd rather go on California Screamin' and Tower of Terror where wait times were both less than 30 minutes each during the times I jumped on them.
Old 04-14-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some quick video I took of the Animation Building at DCA. These projection screens are HUGE. I could spend a long, long time in there...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lfX-rhD8ctA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-14-15, 09:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
When I was at Disneyland four days ago, Soarin' was closed for maintenance as was Peter Pan and the Matterhorn. Matterhorn opens back up in May, I didn't get a concrete date on Soarin' or Peter Pan.

FastPass for Radiator Springs Racers were gone by 9am on both days we were at the park. My girlfriend and I just jumped in the single riders line and we only had to wait about 20-25 minutes. Wait time for the regular line was constantly over 120 minutes. I thought the ride sucked, but whatever. I'd rather go on California Screamin' and Tower of Terror where wait times were both less than 30 minutes each during the times I jumped on them.

This is why we are using the early morning entry. It shouldn't be as busy end of April since spring is done and no major conferences going on and with 2 kids we can't do the single rider line
Old 04-14-15, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sgtsnake View Post
This is why we are using the early morning entry. It shouldn't be as busy end of April since spring is done and no major conferences going on and with 2 kids we can't do the single rider line
Just be warned that it doesn't take long for the stand-by line to get long on that one. And it doesn't always open right on time in the morning because they don't complete the safety checks. Time of the year, weekday or weekend, doesn't really have that much of an impact when everybody that is there really only head in the direction of that one attraction. That's why it would be nice if Soarin was a bigger draw again. Used to great at DCA when the opening crowds would split at least 4 different ways (Soarin, Tower, Screamin, and World of Color FP)
Old 04-14-15, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
There's very few attractions that are at both DLR in CA and WDW in FL that are not at least a little different. Of those, very few of the actual rides are better at WDW. But there are a few. Many of them are because of the better queue line setup at WDW due to the extra space. Just some examples - Pirates, Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Pooh, and Toy Story Mania. The queue lines at WDW are far better at WDW even though many would argue the rides themselves are better at Disneyland.

The key for most people visiting DLR for the first time (often only time due to leaving farther way from CA) is to make sure they catch the many things that are exclusive to those parks. Matterhorn, Indiana Jones, Grizzly River Run, Screamin, Mr. Toad, Alice in Wonderland, the awesome Aladdin show, just to name a few.
Old 04-14-15, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
I'm kind of a Disney fanatic and own a few Disney timeshares, including points at the Grand Californian.
Same here, including owning at the GC.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.