Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Where is the best BBQ and Chips & Salsa in Austin?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-01-15, 05:01 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to do a Tough Mudder race in May, Austin area. And I'm a big Chips and Salsa type of guy. Ditto for BBQ. Just trying to find out where I could get the good stuff. Other places are cool too.

I've honestly have only gone there for one time and it wasn't a time to search for the good stuff.
Old 04-01-15, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Where is the best BBQ and Chips & Salsa in Austin?

Just outside of Austin, but Salt Lick is pretty good for BBQ. Rudys is decent as well. Blacks BBQ about 30 min south of Austin is some of the best in the state.
Old 04-01-15, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Franklin BBQ, but you have to get there in the morning and wait in line for hours to get BBQ at lunchtime. No joke!

http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/a...nklin-barbecue
Old 04-01-15, 07:14 PM
Banned

Damn. Is it that damn good?
Old 04-02-15, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't had it, but it's certainly famous.
Old 04-02-15, 08:40 AM

Opie's. It's a drive.
Old 04-02-15, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts

On 17th at Prescott there's an Arby's right next door to a Taco Bell.

You're welcome.
Old 04-03-15, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not from Austin, but have family there. If you want to start a huge argument among Austin locals, ask them where the best BBQ is. It seems everyone has a favorite and they won't change their mind about it.

I've only tried Salt Lick, and it was very good. They have another location in Round Rock, but I've only eaten at the original location.

My personal favorite for chips and salsa is Juan in a Million. Kinda hard to get in to, parking is horrible and they are always busy. Get their Don Juan breakfast taco and ask for extra flour tortillas.
Old 04-03-15, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've not been there but I've also heard Saltlick is amazing.
Old 04-03-15, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm confused, chips and salsa as a meal? Isn't this more of a simple snack? What do you mean by this, a taco joint?
Old 04-03-15, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
On 17th at Prescott there's an Arby's right next door to a Taco Bell.

You're welcome.
Old 04-03-15, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've only been to Freedmen'e and it is damn good. Have heard people talk about some of the others,

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/austin/...-best-barbecue

Of course in Texas is is all about the Brisket, but I actually like pulled pork. I've gotten to where I do my own so I don't go out and eat it near as much.

If I see I guy making it on the side of the road, in a classic beat up smokker, that is the stuff I like to try...lol

Last edited by Sdallnct; 04-03-15 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-03-15, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III View Post
Old 04-06-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best chips and salsa for me, hands down, is that found at the Hula Hut. Chuy's salsa is pretty good as well, but it's not as good as the Hula Hut's.

As for BBQ (which everyone in the South knows is better than Bar-B-Q or, god forbid, barbeque), I like the brisket at the County Line on the Lake. It's a good long drive out there, but it's worth it.

And you didn't ask, but the place I MUST go every time I'm in Austin is Gourdough's. It's a food truck on South 1st Street, and they make gourmet donuts. You can't go wrong with any of their donuts, but I'm partial to the Son of a Peach (peach pie filling, cinnamon, sugar, and dry cake mix on top of a freshly-fried donut). They also make one with crushed-up Heath bars on it that's tasty as well.

Last edited by rbrown498; 04-06-15 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-06-15, 02:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
I'm confused, chips and salsa as a meal? Isn't this more of a simple snack? What do you mean by this, a taco joint?
I love me some Chips and Salsa. It's a great snack for Mexicans. I should have probably have asked where to find the best taco joints too.

Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
Best chips and salsa for me, hands down, is that found at the Hula Hut. Chuy's salsa is pretty good as well, but it's not as good as the Hula Hut's.

As for BBQ (which everyone in the South knows is better than Bar-B-Q or, god forbid, barbeque), I like the brisket at the County Line on the Lake. It's a good long drive out there, but it's worth it.

And you didn't ask, but the place I MUST go every time I'm in Austin is Gourdough's. It's a food truck on South 1st Street, and they make gourmet donuts. You can't go wrong with any of their donuts, but I'm partial to the Son of a Peach (peach pie filling, cinnamon, sugar, and dry cake mix on top of a freshly-fried donut). They also make one with crushed-up Heath bars on it that's tasty as well.
I'll make a note of this place.
Old 04-06-15, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Franklin BBQ, but you have to get there in the morning and wait in line for hours to get BBQ at lunchtime. No joke!

http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/a...nklin-barbecue
My friends just went on a BBQ trip going to Memphis, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Austin. They waited 5 hours for Franklin and were in line before 6 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I love me some Chips and Salsa. It's a great snack for Mexicans. I should have probably have asked where to find the best taco joints too.
When I was in Austin, all my friends there seemed to love Torchy's Tacos.

I went to Rudy's and County Line for BBQ when I was there, both were pretty darn good. I had Salt Lick at the Austin Airport during a layover; not sure how it compares to a proper one, but I even enjoyed it there.
Old 04-06-15, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
When I was in Austin, all my friends there seemed to love Torchy's Tacos.
Torchy's is good but there have to be some better, more authentic taco shops/carts. Torhcy's is certainly white people-tacos.

Also, check out End of an Ear. It's an excellent record store. Great shop and they have other cool stuff too. They used to have a shit-load of old VHS tapes and DVDs.
Old 04-06-15, 05:17 PM
Banned

There was a Torchy's in Houston that I went to. I wasn't amazed. It was good and looks cool in there but... I've had better from ugly places.

Dunno about you guys but when it comes to burgers and tacos. The uglier the exterior and interior of the place, the better food that comes out of it.
Old 04-06-15, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There was a Torchy's in Houston that I went to. I wasn't amazed. It was good and looks cool in there but... I've had better from ugly places.

Dunno about you guys but when it comes to burgers and tacos. The uglier the exterior and interior of the place, the better food that comes out of it.
100% agreed Snake. I'm not knocking white people-tacos but when it comes to tacos I'd rather have a real Hispanic person in the kitchen.
Old 04-06-15, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

What exactly are WPTs vs. Authentic Hispanic Tacos. Seriously, I'm curious. I like the soft two-tortilla tacos with chicken, tomatoes, cilantro, onions, etc.
Old 04-06-15, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 View Post
100% agreed Snake. I'm not knocking white people-tacos but when it comes to tacos I'd rather have a real Hispanic person in the kitchen.
Old 04-06-15, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Rudys for BBQ.
Old 04-06-15, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 View Post
I can see that, not much different from being Asian and recognizing where the more authentic Chinese food places are. I'm not a big taco connoisseur but I just liked the variety of tacos they had opposed to your typical street taco.
Old 04-06-15, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Great chips and salsa can be had at Guero's on South Congress. If you want to spend 4-6 hours for great BBQ, go to Franklin's. Otherwise, places like JMuller BBQ, Micklewaite BBQ (trailer cooking), Iron Works, and Saltlick are all worth checking out.

Best Mexican tacos/breakfast tacos - Torchy's, Taco Deli, and Taco Shack will all give you what you want.
Old 04-06-15, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm not crazy about Salt Lick. Very touristy. Disneyland for BBQ. Was better 15 years ago. The BYOB seems to be the big draw.

Franklins is great. I was going to the trailer when it got hot. Unfortunately the lines keep me away at the brick and mortar. I think I've been 2 or 3 times since they opened. John Mueller is good. LA BBQ is supposed to be good. Both trailers. We have an offshoot of Blacks now on Barton Springs. I liked it. Not as well as Lockhart's. It's getting in trouble with the city and neighborhood for smoke violations. Stiles Switch BBQ on North Lamar is good and they have BBQ all day. Blue Ox is good but I think they are looking for a new location. They were at the Buzzmill. Rudys is good. It's consistent but you can get that anywhere in Texas.

Chips and Salsa - I like Torchys Red and Green Salsas. But then again it's a chain now too. For sitting around and eating Mexican food I like Polvos on South 1st. Salsa is ok. 3 types. But they have stiff drinks and great ceviche.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.