Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Putting your Pet down.

Old 03-20-15, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Putting your Pet down.

Our dog is reaching the end, He has been a good and faithful dog for 13 years, but the age is definitely catching up to him. we have the vet coming to our house to do the euthanasia.

I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing, Did you stay in the room? Did you wait outside? I've read that once they actually put the active agent in his veins, that it takes seconds for the dog to pass.

Anyone have any personal stories to share?.
Old 03-20-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Putting your Pet down.

I've seen a dog put down and it was almost instantaneous.

I haven't gone through this myself, but I know if the time comes with my cat, I'd want to be holding him to comfort and calm him, as painful as that would be for me.

My heart goes out to you.
Old 03-20-15, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did it with 2 cats. One I just didn't want to be in the room for but the second time I thought I could handle it. It sucks. I think for the one I was there for they put him to "sleep" and then had us leave the room before the final injection. If I had to do it again I would still want to be in the room but it's just hard.
Old 03-20-15, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you can be with your dog then comfort it and tell it how much you love it and how great the years have been together. Never an easy decision to make but your dog will be at peace. My condolences superdeluxe.
Old 03-20-15, 12:04 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I have no experience with this, but absolutely can't fathom how I'll deal with it when my cat's time comes.

Fuck, this thread gets me right in the feels.
Old 03-20-15, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

We've had to put down two of our dobermans in the last 3 years. I guess that's the disadvantage of getting them so close together, they grow old and wear out at the same time.
Basically, the euthanasia drug, for lack of a better term, "turns off" your pet. It's like a light switch being flicked. It's that quick. We always stay right with them, though.
Terrible times. But we keep adopting dogs, so the cycle of joy and grief never seems to end. Our oldest is 10, so the clock is ticking on him louder everyday.
Old 03-20-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very difficult decision as you have to decide between quantity vs quality of life for your pet. My condolences! I went through this for our family dog 10 years ago.
Old 03-20-15, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's such a hard choice to make but often the kindest. Condolences.

We had to put our cat down a few years ago due to a prolapsed rectum. She was elderly and sick, and the vet didn't think it was worth trying to correct the problem because she probably had underlying disease. My kids and I bawled like babies while the vet did it. I held our cat and the kids sat on each side of us (this was an acute illness at the emergency vet in the middle of the night and they wanted to go along--I wasn't sure about that even though they were older, but I'm so glad they got that closure. In that case, bringing the kids turned out to be the right thing to do).
Old 03-20-15, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing, Did you stay in the room? Did you wait outside? I've read that once they actually put the active agent in his veins, that it takes seconds for the dog to pass.

Anyone have any personal stories to share?.
Yes, you can stay and it happens pretty quickly. I've had to do this to my dog. It's just as sad as a person passing away. Condolences.

I can't seem to bring myself to get another one...
Old 03-20-15, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
If you can be with your dog then comfort it and tell it how much you love it and how great the years have been together.
Well said, wishbone!

Hang in there, superdeluxe. And be there for your friend at the end.
Old 03-20-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

I couldn't be in the room when I had to have my 1st cat put down. Just too broken up about it. My 2nd cat died at home (when we were on vacation) so that spared me the grief of having to do that.
Old 03-20-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They came to our home as well for our dog. We sent our son, who was about 4 at the time, to a neighbor's house. We then stayed with our dog after they gave her the first shot and for a few minutes after while her breathing slowed, but we left before the final shot. After she died, they wrapped her in a blanket and carried her out, so we wouldn't have to see her.
Old 03-20-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lost my 18 year-old feline buddy a little over a year ago. I didn't have to make the choice to have him put down, but it was still brutal to lose him. There's no easy way through it.

Not to get too preachy here, but this C.S. Lewis quote helped me:

“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket- safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable.”
Old 03-20-15, 01:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

had to do it to family dog last year. didn't go. my sister and mom went.
Old 03-20-15, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry to hear about your pet superdeluxe. It has to be the toughest thing. I don't know much about when it comes to the end but I THINK my mother was with the St. Bernard (she was deifnitely there just not sure if she was in the room when he passed) we had growing up when they put him down...I don't mean to make things worse for you but she said it was almost impossible to get through -we loved that dog so much - I wasn't aroung cause I was in the Military at the time.

I myself recently just rescued a toy dog from the backyard of the apartment I moved out of - she was terrified and beat up when I found her - I just felt responsible so I fixed her all up and now she's mine - couldn't imagine losing her either.

My choclate lab will be 9 next month and he's awesome - he's been my co-pilot for so long that when he's not with me (i.e. dropping him off for vet appointments and having to wait to pick him up) I don't feel right.

Ugh, so sorry man, pets are the best - they really are.

Last edited by Rival11; 03-20-15 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-20-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

This is my dog. She is now on painkillers daily for her arthritis. The vet was very clear that we are just buying time with this. I'll probably be lucky to have a month left with her. And she still finds the fucking pill inside the dog treat and leaves it. So I generally crush it up.

But my last dog, Worf, knew he was about to die. He refused to go into the shop one night, and I figured he was probably going off to die. Fuck, that was a tough thing to let go of and allow. But I did, and the next day we couldn't find Worf anywhere. This may sound strange to city dwellers, but remember that I'm on 40 acres with 2 creeks, lots of open field and lots of trees. If I knew I was about to die, I'd do the same thing. But Worf didn't quite die, but that is what he was after. He went out to the field, and had to cross a creek. He was found on the other side of the creek exhausted from having to get out of it. He couldn't move. Just laid there. We had the vet come out and they shaved his arm and put him to sleep while I watched. Honestly, I find it to be a beautiful thing. We treat out pets with more dignity than we do humans. When it is your time to move on from this body, have that experience and don't push it away. Doing that, resisting that, will just make it harder. We suffer in this way because of our loss, not because of the loss the dog feels. The dog doesn't feel that loss. The dog knows it is time to move on, but we suffer because we don't want them to. But everything they are and were, we were able to experience. To be born is to die, so why shouldn't we just see it as another experience? Well, because we fear the unknown. We don't truly know what will happen after we die. We think we do, we may have faith, we may believe in whatever we tell people the way the whole thing is, but from an evolutionary standpoint, there simply will be fear until we decide to embrace it.

So the vet told me that he wouldn't feel pain and I could tell that was true. Then she said that Worf would just let out one more big sign and it would be over. He sighed, and she said it was over. Then he sighed again. And again. But it was peaceful, and finally the fourth sigh was the end.

You don't have to believe in anything to be okay here. Matter and energy is quite interchangeable, and to think that this is the end is to simply not understand that it is just a change in form. So love your dog while you can, and let go. Don't let it make you suffer as well because from your dog's perspective, everything is going just like it ought to.

Happiest freaking dog that ever was.
Old 03-20-15, 02:00 PM

dammit dave
this fucking thread..
Old 03-20-15, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't go. My wife's a vet--she doesn't want to be there either for our pets, so we have one of the other vets do it. In her dream-world, the owners don't want to be in there. It is upsetting to her as well, so having them there just makes it a bit harder to stay professional sometimes, but a lot of people want to be in there. It really upsets her sometimes when the kids are there (depends on the kids) because either they can't deal with it or they are misbehaving. Sometimes people are still arguing when they are in the room, which sucks for everyone.

Anyway, lots of people like to be in there. What she likes to do them is get everything setup and give the animal a sedative before the people come in (she likes to do the sedative either way), and before the animal gets the last shot. That way the pet is relaxed, it is not fighting the needle and they're not having to restrain it, which is I think nicer for the animal and the people (and her). I think the stuff they put in can sting a bit, and it's kind of a big needle, but the sedative helps with all that, and it makes it really like they're just going to sleep.
Old 03-20-15, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did it with two cats and a dog. No one else would go to the vet with me, and I didn't stay in the room.

I guess that makes me sound really cold.
Old 03-20-15, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stay in the room...don't let him leave this world with strangers.
Old 03-20-15, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am going to stay in the room when it's time but the problem is....I won't want to leave that room without him/her and I sure as hell don't want to watch some stranger carry off my baby boy or girl either.

Damn, I'm leaving this thread for a bit.
Old 03-20-15, 02:56 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Stay in the room...don't let him leave this world with strangers.
What this guy said. I have not had to do this yet, but our cat is 15 now and I know her days are numbered. I think I would regret not being there holding her when she goes.

This is kind of a morbid question, but can the vet help with cremation, I mean point you in the right direction? I don't have a yard to be able to bury my cat, but I'd like to at least be able to either bury or scatter her ashes someplace. I don't feel right just leaving the animal with the vet. Just doesn't seem right.
Old 03-20-15, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been there for a few of my pets being put down. It's not easy, but neither are any of the alternatives.

I'm sorry you're going through this, superdeluxe.
Old 03-20-15, 03:07 PM

Man... just reading this thread is heartbreaking.

We had to put down my childhood dog about 8 years ago. Mickie was about 14 when it happened. The day of we basically just turned into a whole day centered around her. Took her to a park, and just let her off her leash to wonder around wherever she wanted (she was never allowed off her leash before otherwise you'd never find her... it's a little different when she's old). She always had this thing for McDonalds cheeseburgers. Whenever someone brought McDonalds home, she did whatever she could to have a bite (but would never act that way around BK, Wendy's, Taco Bell, etc). So that day we brought home five cheeseburgers... she ate them all.

It was a really great day until we had to finally take her to the vet. We were given the option of staying in the room with her or just having her go in with the vet. Like a previous poster said, we couldn't let her leave this world with strangers, so we went in with her. We had to wait a good 15-20 minutes for the vet, so we just all sat on the floor with her. Finally the vet came in, and said the way it works was he would give her one shot which would basically just put her to sleep (much like if you were going in for an operation). Once she was unconscious, they administer the second shot which would act within seconds. We stayed for the first shot, and the hardest part was watching her do her best to stay awake. The vet left during this time, to let us have last moments with her alone. Once she was out, he came back in, and administered the second shot. One of the hardest days of my life.

Stay strong superdelux, and just make sure he's as comfortable and happy as he can be when the day comes.
Old 03-20-15, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
What this guy said. I have not had to do this yet, but our cat is 15 now and I know her days are numbered. I think I would regret not being there holding her when she goes.

This is kind of a morbid question, but can the vet help with cremation, I mean point you in the right direction? I don't have a yard to be able to bury my cat, but I'd like to at least be able to either bury or scatter her ashes someplace. I don't feel right just leaving the animal with the vet. Just doesn't seem right.
We have a local place our vet recommended. Back in the day we always used to bury our pets. But there's something nice about having them right on the shelf. For about $80 they cremate them and deliver the ashes in a little decorative box, with that damn rainbow bridge poem that gets me every time.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.