Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Putting your Pet down.

Old 03-20-16, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Putting your Pet down.

Jim: she went cuddled up next to the person who had kept her safe, warm, fed, and cared for. Not a bad way to go. I am sorry for your loss, I know it hurts something terrible.
Old 03-20-16, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's picture of when she was a puppy
Old 03-20-16, 11:50 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

^ so cute and so sorry Jim!!
Old 03-20-16, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry Jim

Always sad to put a pet down.
Old 03-20-16, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you for the kind words. I really can't believe how hard I'm taking this. Maybe because my father's demise was drawn out due to the cancer, I don't think I cried this much. By the end, there was just a tiny bit of you thankful the fight was over. This was pretty quick, so other than last night when I could tell she was in pain and whimpering there was no time to prepare.

Her poor brother is just wandering around the house looking for his sister. Upstairs, downstairs, inside, outside. The poor dog just can't get settled. He keeps looking up at me as though I can explain it to him.
Old 03-20-16, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved pet, Jim.

She had a great owner and a great life. So many other animals aren't that lucky.
Old 03-20-16, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, I'm so sorry. It's one of the hardest things in life to lose a pet. But she had a great life with you, and you got to share her final night together. Keep the good memories; the painful ones will fade in time. Take care of yourself.
Old 03-20-16, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So sorry for your loss. Can you share a recent picture of her? Losing a pet is so so hard under any circumstances. I lost my girl three years ago and was thinking of her last night and broke out in tears. The pain does go away in time and their will be a day when you will think of her with all smiles.
Old 03-21-16, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Sorry to hear about your dog Jim. Don't beat yourself up about how hard you are taking this. We spend a lot of time forming a special relationship with them and it's really hard when we lose them. What's not to miss about something that basically just wants to be our friend?

Hang in there..
Old 03-21-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A couple more recent pictures that hippie requested

Jesus, I couldn't tell anyone about it today without tearing up. I can't believe how torn up I am over a dog. Sitting watching TV last night and she wasn't next to me. Came home from work today and there's her poor brother, looking all over for her. He's all anxious and restless because they've never been apart.

Last edited by JimRochester; 03-21-16 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-21-16, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a sweetie! Only dog owners will understand how "torn up" you are. Let yourself grieve. It's a huge loss. Everyday will get a little easier. As far as your other dog, he will grieve also, but will forget.
Old 03-22-16, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know dogs don't feel sadness like we do but her brother is downright depressed. He's peed on the carpet 3 or 4 times since Sunday morning, he won't get in the dog bed anymore which is where she died. He just keeps looking out the window for her. And this morning he was whimpering for no reason. It is almost 7:15 and I've made without breaking down so far but when he started whimpering I almost lost it again. They certainly perceive the anxiety in the house and he knows she's missing.
Old 03-22-16, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What a cute doggie. So sad to hear when a pet dies. They really are part of the family.
Old 03-22-16, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sorry for your loss Jim, they really do become members of our family.
Old 03-26-16, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What a shitty week! Last Thursday night mom fell again and was in the hospital all week. Yesterday they released her to a nursing home for PT. With her Parkinson's disease, she's going to keep falling so we have a feeling that she'll be done with assisted living. All week been bummed about the dog and on edge over mom. I did pretty well yesterday finally. This morning I took her crate down to the basement for storage, holy crap did I lose it again. Can't believe these little buggers can get under your skin the way they do.

Thanks for all the support. With everything going on it always helps to hear encouraging words
Old 04-26-16, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm having to go through this with my family dog right now and it absolutely is terrible. My Golden Retriever named Rylee will have to be put down soon. My mom had taken her in last week because she didn't seem right (wasn't eating properly and seemed short of breath easily) and the doctor at that time put her on prednisone which he had hoped would help and we were to take her back yesterday. The drug didn't really seem to help too much as she had a rough weekend in regards to breathing and wouldn't eat much at all. Took her back yesterday and she has tumors on her kidney, liver, and spleen. We're trying to wait for my brother to make it home but I'm not sure how long she can stand it and at the moment she's only semi okay because of pain pills. It just is crazy because prior to last week she seemed fine and was playful as ever and now a week later she's going to be gone soon.
Old 04-26-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Mike86,

So sorry to hear about the bad turn of events with your beloved pet. It can often happen quickly. Seeing a pet linger on in pain is also difficult to accept, however. You gave your dog the best care he could have had is the important thing to remember.
Old 04-26-16, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mike86:
Sorry to hear.
I, too, went through this with both of our vizslas within a year of each other. The first was going on a steady decline for a while, and it finally was at the point that his quality of life was getting pretty sad, and keeping him going was doing more for us than for him. Our second, the one we'd raised from puppy hood, was much more sudden - we went out for a nice long walk in the morning - came home to find her lethargic. Took her to the emergency vet - they found tumors that were causing significant internal bleeding. At best she'd have made it through the night, but she was clearly in pain, so we had to let her go.

I was with the dogs each time. Those were some of the toughest things I've ever had to do, but I'm glad i was with them. We knew we did everything we could.

Even though it's been almost 6 months since we had to let our last dog go, I'm still tearing up writing this - it's tough. Be strong - be there. It sucks, but it does start to get better over time.
Old 04-26-16, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh man bringing up some memories. Lost my BeBe little under 2 years ago now. She was 7 and had her since she was a pup. Best cuddler in the world. I left for work one day and she seemed chunkier than usual and wasnt moving around as well as she normally did. As I was driving away my mind went into overdrive. What was wrong? Bloat? Did she eat something toxic. First break I left work and went back home. She hadnt moved from where I last saw her and she was bigger than before and her tongue was bluish. Mad dash to the vet and they tried to run a tube into her tums to relieve any pressure that was there (but never gave her any supplemental O2 which Im still pissed about). They couldnt do anything but made arrangements for her to go to a vet surgical center. Another mad dash and results came back. She had a lesion on her spine that was shutting down her autonomic nervous system. Then it hit me. I have to kill my dog. Thats what the doc was asking me to do. I know we throw around "put to sleep" and what not but all I could think about was...I have to kill my best buddy. But it was the best. They let me in the back to her kennel which was a sealed O2 kennel, I held her and told her to go to sleep. And she did. Thats a good girl. I kissed her nose one last time. Making that call was the hardest thing for me to do (little did I know that less than a year later I would have to make the same decision for my mom). I still think about her and miss her.

It took about a year, but then someone at work let me know about a little puppy that was born from a rescue dog that needed a home. I saw one picture and fell in love. Say hi Ripley.

The struggle is real you all.

She does pretty good derp face.

The beast incarnate today.

Thank you so much BeBe. And thank you Ripley for saving me.
Old 04-28-16, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well she's gone. Yesterday my brother came home and my family and I spent one last afternoon all together. At first we thought she might be able to make it one more day but she got progressively worse just throughout the day and it was her time. Already miss my girl as she meant the world to me and Thursdays were usually one of the days I spent with her as I'm off from work. Rest in Peace Rylee..

Old 04-28-16, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What a pretty girl. Fly high Rylee.
Old 04-28-16, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, I'm sorry
Old 04-28-16, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So sorry for your loss Mike
Old 04-28-16, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sorry for your loss Mike, she's a beautiful girl.
Old 04-28-16, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks everyone for the kind words. As hard as it was it was just too hard watching her decline. The thing that makes it hit hard I think is how fast it came on. The weekend was pretty bad and then from Monday on it got worse fast. I definitely miss her already and it's really quiet without her..

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.