Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Putting your Pet down.

Old 03-23-15, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Putting your Pet down.

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
We chose communal cremation, I didn't really care either way, and the wife didn't want the remains.
I've never kept my pets' ashes either. I treasure the photographs, and I have a box with some favorite toys, but I've never felt any need for the remains.

Hang in there, superdeluxe. I'm sorry you had to go through this.
Old 03-23-15, 10:02 AM
Banned

Sorry for your ordeal, Superdeluxe. If you have photos, as JasonF said, you can enjoy the memories in the future after the grief has passed. Just as with humans, we'll always miss our buddies but can hold on to the good times & know that we gave them the best life we could and returned their affection.

Tearing up so signing off. Thanks for sharing your story...most here can relate.

One other thing...every time we lose a favorite pet, I always say I don't want to go through that again...and then another furry friend in need shows up. When the time is right for you and your family, hope you quickly find another friend...not to "replace" your irreplaceable buddy but to continue the mutual sharing. And, in a way, honor your friend's' memory by adopting another member of the family. I think your dog would heartily approve and want you to share your love & what you learned from your times together with someone else...sort of like an ongoing legacy (just as your children will honor you).

Hang in there, and if you feel bad, don't hold back the tears. Then share some happy stories with the family...that seems to help a lot.
Old 03-24-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I've never kept my pets' ashes either. I treasure the photographs, and I have a box with some favorite toys, but I've never felt any need for the remains.
For our schnauzer that we lost last year, we also opted not to keep the remains. As a memorial we put up a shadow box on the wall that has his collar and a couple of favorite photos. We also planted a perennial flower in our landscaping that was given to us in his memory.
Old 03-25-15, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Couldn't get past the first page without tearing up.
I'm a cat owner myself and my buddies are getting up there in age.

I'll go to pieces for sure...

This is a very bittersweet thread.
Old 03-25-15, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Nice work SD. I'm such a softy when it comes to our furry buddies. However with all the love and dedication they show to us during their time here - making this decision for them and being there for them in the end is the least we can do. All we can do for them is make their lives as happy as possible and it sounds like you did just that. That's as successful as we can be with it. Good job.
Old 03-25-15, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife and I put our dog and cat down on the same day back in 2012. Our cat was almost 17 and our dog was 16. It was really hard for my wife. I am glad we were both in the room. They both had a good life with us.
Old 04-15-15, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We had to put our dog down last night. He was a beautiful black lab / Australian shepherd mix. We got him from a pound when he was almost one and he came from an abusive family. He was simply the best family dog we could have - always great with the kids and protective of our family I don't think I've cried like that in my life.

Last edited by Rob V; 04-15-15 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-15-15, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
We had to put our dog down last night. He was a beautiful black lab / Australian shepherd mix. We got him from a pound when he was almost one and he came from an abused family. He was simply the best family dog we could have - always great with the kids and protective of our family I don't think I've cried like that in my life.
So sorry for your loss. It's amazing how animals can really capture your heart. I've never sobbed more than when we had to put down one of our dogs last year. I still tear up from time to time thinking about him and in general I am not a crier at all.
Old 04-15-15, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you... it was really bizarre waking up this morning and not stepping over him on my way to the shower and patting his head before I left. geezus.
Old 04-15-15, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We had to put our dog down last night. He was a beautiful black lab / Australian shepherd mix. We got him from a pound when he was almost one and he came from an abusive family. He was simply the best family dog we could have - always great with the kids and protective of our family I don't think I've cried like that in my life.
Oh man, I'm so sorry for your loss .
Old 04-15-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Now its been a few weeks, It does it get better. The hardest part after the vet left was getting rid of all the 'dog' stuff. For the first few days, the house definitely felt really empty, just missing that constant presence that had been there for 11 years, and now it was gone.

We donated all the left over dog food to local shelters, they were very appreciative of that.

The most difficult part was calling the Vet to 'close' his account & stop vet reminders. Man that was the hardest thing after actually putting our dog down. Totally cried like a baby again.
Old 04-15-15, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thank you... it was really bizarre waking up this morning and not stepping over him on my way to the shower and patting his head before I left. geezus.
Agh, that makes me sad just reading it.
Old 04-15-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dammit why did I read this?! This shit gets me every time. Having had to go through this a few times over the past couple of years I seriously don't think I will get another pet. Its really hard and I still get emotional over each from time to time. I'm not generally overly mushy or someone who tears up easily. Generally sorry for all the recent losses to the members here.
Old 04-15-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My girlfriend and I just put down our cat a couple weeks ago. She was 15 and her companion through her whole life basically. She made the decision and we had it done. Both of us stayed in the room. Vet's price included single cremation and a nice box that we put her tag and bells on.

The next day we adopted a new kitten. I couldn't believe that she was ready again.
Old 04-18-15, 03:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Having had to go through this a few times over the past couple of years I seriously don't think I will get another pet.
I say the exact same thing every time.

And every time another little fellow shows up at the back door needing a home.

Went from a DVD/game store into Petsmart today...only to find my wife playing with the kittens/cats waiting to be adopted. Hard to leave them behind.

As hard as it is to let go & as much as we miss them, I still think the ones who come along (while never "replacing" our other "family" members) help us to move on. But it can take awhile (even when you already have other pets).
Old 04-23-15, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thought I would come and share with you guys. We had to put down our 15 year old American Eskimo tonight. For a while she's had a cyst on her leg and it burst a few days ago. We had it bandaged by a vet but tonight it just wouldn't stop bleeding so we made the decision. We had 2 American Eskimos but the other one passed away during Hurricane Sandy. We know we gave her a good life and we know we made the right decision based on her age but it still hurts, as you all know, to think she won't be here anymore. Every night, for the last 15 years, I've walked her at 11:00 and woke up around 5:30 to walk her in the morning. I wonder if i'll be able to sleep through the night now or if I'll wake up at 5:30 out of habit. Just wanted to share to clear my head a little.
Old 04-23-15, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So sorry for you loss also. It's never easy saying goodbye.
Old 04-27-15, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We lost both our dogs last year. I took my Bulldog into the vets to have him put down and then brought him home to bury him. Our Boxer followed a few months later, but the vet came and performed the task at home. Heartbreaking. This was our Bulldog Arthur: Arthur after his bath
Old 04-29-15, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's still hard as hell to come back to this thread - superdeluxe, your most recent post killed me (about closing the account, mostly the constant preseance feeling).

Tell you how bad I am, I still have my dogs but my little rescue from last summer...her hair grows so fast, it was only a little matted (very little) but I didn't know it, when I took her to the groomer I just said "ok, I'll be back soon, just want to trim her up" to which they then told me she would need to be shaved down a bit because of the matts on the undercoat...I felt like such a shitbag, just a scummy dead-beat dad....even after they told me it was no big deal and it happens all the time even with people who know the breed and have owned them for years - I still didn't care...all I could feel was the dead-beat dad vibe.

So to make up for I got a memory foam matress for her crate, (have to use a crate as she is a major cord chewer - can't leave her in the kitchen as she is tiny but can litereally jump six feet in the air - it's pretty freaky actually..I sometimes call her "Flea") a full on spa treatment (no, I don't dress my dogs up), and she had some chiavetta's chicken later that day as well.

Just wanted to hopefully bring some cheer to this thread.
Old 05-07-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm very sorry for the losses of everyone who has posted in this thread. I wanted to tell you all that since I have been gone from the Forum for almost two years, my second-oldest cat, Cushie, disappeared in November 2014 and I was never able to find her or learn what happened to her. As hard as it is to put a beloved pet to sleep, I'd trade it every time just to know that they went peacefully rather than worrying that they met a horrible end with a wild animal or another pet or whatever.

The other four have adjusted and life is actually a tad less chaotic around the house (also since SSG Honeylamb moved out at Thanksgiving, so I have my own house back again, very glad to say). I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that no starving kitties show up because I'm not good at saying no to a stray, as the pet population at my house proves only too well.
Old 05-07-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To all who have experienced this terrible loss: I hear you. From personal experience, the best thing to do is go find an animal in a shelter and bring him or her home. While it's natural to feel you are not honoring the memory of your departed pet, nothing could be further from the truth. Go save an animal from spending one more night in a shelter.
Old 05-08-15, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I'm very sorry for the losses of everyone who has posted in this thread. I wanted to tell you all that since I have been gone from the Forum for almost two years, my second-oldest cat, Cushie, disappeared in November 2014 and I was never able to find her or learn what happened to her. As hard as it is to put a beloved pet to sleep, I'd trade it every time just to know that they went peacefully rather than worrying that they met a horrible end with a wild animal or another pet or whatever.

The other four have adjusted and life is actually a tad less chaotic around the house (also since SSG Honeylamb moved out at Thanksgiving, so I have my own house back again, very glad to say). I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that no starving kitties show up because I'm not good at saying no to a stray, as the pet population at my house proves only too well.
We had chickens for awhile, One day one of the chickens got loose and we could never find her. We just hope she got lucky got captured and went to someone elses flock, rather than starving or getting eaten.
Old 05-08-15, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My parents dog, a black Lab, was suffering from mass cell cancer and it was steadily getting worse until this past weekend when the dog could not stand up anymore. My father knew it was that time so he searched on the internet and found a vet who offers a 7 day service and will come to your home and put the dog to sleep....my dad appreciated that there was a service like this as he just couldn't deal with taking the dog to the vet office to be put to sleep.
Old 06-16-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm rapidly approaching a similar moment - my lab retriever (about 9 or 10 years old - we are uncertain as he came from a local SPCA) had been squatting to pee for extended periods of time, and recently was dripping slightly bloody drops when he walked around. We took him to the vet and they are saying that it is likely prostrate cancer (based upon some tests they ran).

Now - they are going to do an xray this week - and made it clear (again) that this is not viral or bacterial (so I guess this is their way of saying they are certain it is cancer).

He doesn't seem to be in an pain (at least right now) - and he runs around, wagging his tail, seeming in good spirits. So - my question for those who have dealt with this - at what point do you consider the "ultimate" decision? I don't know that chemo at his late age is the best thing to do.

This is killing me, and I'm sure it is going to be devastating to my two kids when the time comes.
Old 06-16-15, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a tough thread to read at this time. Anyone who has had to do this gets my utmost respect and sympathy.

This was our little buddy, Connor. We rescued him from a shelter and loved him for 13 years. He was diagnosed with lymphoma in February and we said goodbye to him last Monday, June 8th.

We are still crushed, I miss my dog every day.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.