Reload this Page >

Do you ever lack motivation?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 03-14-15, 05:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 369 Likes on 327 Posts

And if so, what do you do to snap out of it?

Old 03-14-15, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: Do you ever lack motivation?

Nope. I have too much motivation. Some days I envy people 20-somethings who forget about their hopes and dreams.

How do you "snap out of it"? I don't think you do. I'm in this because I've always been socially inadequate and don't have anything else to do. And I find that is how it worked for other people who are on the same path. We're just a bunch of weirdos.

Sorry to bum you guys out.
Old 03-14-15, 06:17 PM

sometimes i feel like i am so lazy. i buy everything online, tissues, my MIO things, everything. once in awhile, i'll go to Walmart and get the essentials (twizzlers, mouthwash...) but just feel like i make such a lack of effort in many facets of my life...
Old 03-14-15, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bitch bitch bitch
Old 03-14-15, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Okay, I'll try to actually help.

Try messing with your diet. Try drinking coffee every morning. After that, take a multivitamin. Don't expect it to change after a week. Give it a couple months. If your essentials include Twizzlers, maybe your diet is awful. I'm fat. But I still eat lots of meat, veggies and fruit. And, no, burgers, veggie straws and Tang don't count.

Next, be compulsive. If you want to do something, do it. Put one foot in front of the other and go. You won't always be able to do what you want. But it'll get things done little by little.
Old 03-14-15, 07:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 232 Likes on 162 Posts

Get one of those couch to 5k apps and start it tonight.
Old 03-14-15, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Is your job something you can throw yourself into? When I'm involved in a bunch of things at work, I'm too busy to not feel motivated Plus, it helps get you more money and/or promotions.

Just signing up for stuff with set times helps, work or socially. Like stuff going on the community ... sign up, show up, and it helps make life feel like it has more structure and purpose.
Old 03-14-15, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
sometimes i feel like i am so lazy. i buy everything online, tissues, my MIO things, everything. once in awhile, i'll go to Walmart and get the essentials (twizzlers, mouthwash...) but just feel like i make such a lack of effort in many facets of my life...
Like doing a search before starting threads
Old 03-14-15, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Okay, I'll try to actually help.

Try messing with your diet. Try drinking coffee every morning. After that, take a multivitamin. Don't expect it to change after a week. Give it a couple months. If your essentials include Twizzlers, maybe your diet is awful. I'm fat. But I still eat lots of meat, veggies and fruit. And, no, burgers, veggie straws and Tang don't count.

Next, be compulsive. If you want to do something, do it. Put one foot in front of the other and go. You won't always be able to do what you want. But it'll get things done little by little.
Yeah, I have noticed that when I eat a crappy diet I feel lethargic and don't want to do anything. Eating healthy makes me have energy and want to actually get up and be active. It's pretty amazing how much your diet can affect things like that. The saying, "You are what you eat" may be a cliche, but it's pretty much true.
Old 03-14-15, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Some days I envy people 20-somethings who forget about their hopes and dreams.
Don't. Trust me, you aren't missing anything.
Old 03-14-15, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

And if so, what do you do to snap out of it?

I just got finished walking 7.5 miles. I'm starting to like feeling pain again.

Moving the body does help. Try it, even if your mind says you won't benefit and your body resists. Do it anyway. Afterwards, you'll wonder why you felt and thought such things.
Old 03-14-15, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tips:
1. Determine what times of the day you're naturally most productive. It turns out I am extremely productive from 8-10 AM and 5-9 PM. I am useless in the middle of the day. I've stopped fighting this: if I need to get something done I wait often until those times if I can. I don't let that bother me.
2. Realize that procrastination is likely a natural effect of your brain trying to force you to concentrate. I find that I can achieve much greater concentration if I force deadlines on myself, even if they're invented deadlines. Also, I try not to feel guilty about procrastinating on something as long as I still have time to to do it effectively. Feeling guilty just causes a spiral for me.
3. Have goals, have to-do lists. Actually write them down. Stupid, cliched advice but it works.
4. Exercise and eat whole foods. If you're fit and healthy you feel better.
5. Get good sleep. Being well rested is the ultimate advantage. If I'm tired I get nothing done.
6. Reward yourself for progress. I actually verbalize to myself if I feel like I did a good job on something. I think I'm crazy.
Old 03-14-15, 09:53 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

yes I often d
Old 03-14-15, 09:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I just got finished walking 7.5 miles. I'm starting to like feeling pain again.

Moving the body does help. Try it, even if your mind says you won't benefit and your body resists. Do it anyway. Afterwards, you'll wonder why you felt and thought such things.
If you're feeling pain while exercising, then you're doing it wrong. You can seriously injure yourself if you aren't doing it right. Exercise should never be painful.

Starting a new exercise routine could cause you to be sore in the beginning because you're using muscles you aren't used to using, but that should go away after you get used to it.

Once you get used to it, exercise makes you feel very good with the adrenaline running through you. It's like a natural and safe "high." Exercise shouldn't be painful or something you dread doing.
Old 03-14-15, 10:49 PM

yeah, my diet sux. i'm not over weight, but i am not helping myself that is for sure. as for the physical that is my big problem too. even my psych tells me to get out there. it's just been so damn snowy and cold!!
Old 03-14-15, 11:09 PM
Banned

yeah, my diet sux. i'm not over weight, but i am not helping myself that is for sure. as for the physical that is my big problem too. even my psych tells me to get out there. it's just been so damn snowy and cold!!
Using the weather is a poor excuse. Just exercise indoors when the weather is bad. Join a gym or even exercise at home. There are plenty of exercises you can do without even stepping foot outside your home.
Old 03-14-15, 11:38 PM

I know, I know...I just lack motivation
Old 03-14-15, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't be bothered to answer that question...
Old 03-15-15, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I often lack motivation to clock back into work after lunch, so I make it a habit of listening to this before I have to...and you know what? I always motivated to get back out there and finish my shift.

Old 03-16-15, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 155 Likes on 93 Posts

Just about every day for the last several years.

I'm seriously stuck in a rut and don't see it ending any time soon. Every week day I have the same routine: exercise, commuting, work, dishes, etc. On weekends, I do the housework and honey-do stuff I couldn't do on the weekdays.
Old 03-16-15, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work hard.... I work my time, 20+ years now...8 left.

I get to work early and leave on time and stay late if necessary. I handle my investigations to the best of my ability. In the last 5 years I average $4,000 to $5,000 overtime. This year...2015...I've made $2700 in OT in just the first 2.5 months. I don't complain and I'm there when my people, the victims I work for and my fellow officers need me.

But...with that being said...when I get home, I'm usually beat. I relax alot...enjoy my VUDU movies and other streaming sites and DVD's. I sleep well and get enough to keep me going.

I won't be able to keep this up for 15-20 years....turned 46 last October. I also don't have to. I have the goal of 55 and retirement with full pay coming and I'm working hard to get there....but I do get tired at times...I just stick with it.

I gave up all soda/pop 5 years ago and its really helped. It was really screwing with my sleep (6-8 cans a day). My only vice is coffee...have my Kuerig and enjoy 2-3 cups a day, all in the AM. I get enough sleep and am usually up by 4:30-5:00am at the latest.

As I get older I'm finding my body is not as resilient...and I'm adapting.

I take my vacations....and I'm finding that as I get farther into my career that is what motivates me. Traveling in recent years has been fun and it gets me away from a job that while I love it...has become more difficult.

One foot in front of the other...every day!
Old 03-16-15, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OldBoy, I noticed your "can't get motivated to play video games" thread was created in mid-January. Have you been having trouble feeling motivated this whole time? Have you considered the possibility that you're dealing with depression? Just a thought...
Old 03-17-15, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X View Post
OldBoy, I noticed your "can't get motivated to play video games" thread was created in mid-January. Have you been having trouble feeling motivated this whole time? Have you considered the possibility that you're dealing with depression? Just a thought...
is that what it means?
Old 03-17-15, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 184 Likes on 103 Posts

Yes.
Old 03-17-15, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
is that to help depression? i thought it did the opposite?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.